Tragic News Out of Alaska

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
According to news reports, a young hunter was attacked by a grizzly and killed as he dressed out a moose. What a tragedy.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/25/hunter-killed-by-grizzly-in-alaska-died-in-surprise-attack/

It's a good reminder to stay alert when dealing with downed game in grizzly territory. Even with rifles nearby, we've had hunters attacked and killed here in BC. It is not a bad idea to have someone always standing on bear watch.

DrMike":2mz8muug said:
According to news reports, a young hunter was attacked by a grizzly and killed as he dressed out a moose. What a tragedy.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/25/hunter-killed-by-grizzly-in-alaska-died-in-surprise-attack/

It's a good reminder to stay alert when dealing with downed game in grizzly territory. Even with rifles nearby, we've had hunters attacked and killed here in BC. It is not a bad idea to have someone always standing on bear watch.
Great advice DrMike!
If I'm ever in Grizzly territory, and hunting, that's exactly what I will do.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Rest in Peace.
Nature is not kind, no matter what City-dwellers think or say.
I know a guy from Austria guiding in Canada for quite some time and he says his dog safed his butt on several occasions.
Tragic, really makes you reconsider going there alone

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

noslerpartition":3h7txr2l said:
Rest in Peace.
I know a guy from Austria guiding in Canada for quite some time and he says his dog safed his butt on several occasions.

I've had the experience of a dog standing between me and a trail, refusing to permit me to pass. I'm reasonably certain she realized a bear was ahead on the trail. A good dog can be a life saver. As for hunting alone, I have done so on numerous occasions, but I am aware that there is a measure of risk. Still, I'm more comfortable when I'm with a trusted friend such as BlkRam when game is down, especially in the high meadows.

We have a very rich history with hunting dogs here.
Base line is: trust the dog.
There are a few hunters every year killed by wounded boar. They can be quite nasty.
Few talk about it, but I guess there are a lot more who were safed by their trusted companions.

My ex was once asked to follow a wounded boar at night, because she had the dog with her.
Neither she nor the dog had any experience.
Both she and the one asking got a very clear opinion next day.
Worked out ok, the boar circled her and came back to the shooter.
Still - you do not follow wounded boar in the dark.
At least not without a backup

That’s a tough situation, we’ve all been there just the thing we think about didn’t happen. Sorry for him and his family.

Always have someone on guard while field dressing game in bear country - even on black bear country, as they do not bluff charge like a grizzly may.
They can have a firearm at the ready, or at least pepper spray, even while holding a leg while you are doing the field dressing. They need to be more vigilant if you are in the thick brush.
Use your senses too; as most bears have a distinctive smell that can be detected before the beast is seen when in close in the thick brush - more so when it is wet out.

Tragedy strikes those that are unprepared - both mentally as well as physically.
It does not always happen to someone else!
If you spend enough time in the bush, it could happen to you!

Trust your dog, or your horse(s) as they will let you know when there is a predator nearby.
Trust the birds and the squirrels in the forest - they will also let you know when predators are close too!

Blkram":ofjsr29d said:
Always have someone on guard while field dressing game in bear country - even on black bear country, as they do not bluff charge like a grizzly may.
They can have a firearm at the ready, or at least pepper spray, even while holding a leg while you are doing the field dressing. They need to be more vigilant if you are in the thick brush.
Use your senses too; as most bears have a distinctive smell that can be detected before the beast is seen when in close in the thick brush - more so when it is wet out.

Tragedy strikes those that are unprepared - both mentally as well as physically.
It does not always happen to someone else!
If you spend enough time in the bush, it could happen to you!

Trust your dog, or your horse(s) as they will let you know when there is a predator nearby.
Trust the birds and the squirrels in the forest - they will also let you know when predators are close too!
Yeah, I shot a bear solo on the Kenai, and the week before had seen 9 bears in one evening on what I measured on OnX as 1000 acre valley.

Being alone I was on high alert, I don’t carry one in the chamber, but it was locked and loaded, resting on my foot the entire time I was cleaning. Spooky sometimes.

I’m there. I have killed just as darkness is about to set, and if I’m in country where things might come when I rang the dinner bell, the 44mag is in the open. I would feel so much better to do a spot & stalk vs a sit and be stalked hunt alone!

My moment was a bear kill in wolf country and I had bigger bears coming in ... I’m sure the gut pile was gone by morning. Glad mine were not on the menu!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terrible tragedy. Thanks for posting Dr. Mike.

First time I hunted in grizzly country was 20 years ago in the Wind River Mtns, Wyoming. My hunting partner and I each had rifles and big bore revolvers. Either the revolver or the rifle, or both, were in my possession at all times. My partner had hunted there for 20+ years and had a healthy respect for the big bears.

We didn't have any trouble, but neither of us would have been surprised if we'd had some grizzly problems.

The time I thought I was most at risk, was after we had skinned and quartered up the elk. My pard headed back to camp, a mile or so away, and I started carrying the quarters as well as the head & hide, one by one, down to an area where the pack horses could reach. Kept my rifle with me every trip! That kept me busy for a couple of hours and was a great workout! :) The rifle was on my shoulder on a sling, 175 gr Nosler Partition chambered.

Perhaps of interest, my pard's firearms were:
454 Casull, Freedom Arms single action revolver.
358 Win, Browning BLR with Aimpoint
(I don't recall his load for either)

Mine were:
44 magnum, S&W 629 double action revolver, 300 grain bullets - I think they were Noslers, though I also used Sierras back then. Both shot well.
7mm Rem Mag, Remington 700 ADL synthetic, 3-9x Leupold and handloaded 175 gr Nosler Partitions

I think all of those firearms were certainly adequate. The tough part is making a good hit on a grizzly.

Guy

ears back when I still lived in Nevada, a buddy and I would do a run to Reno every 3 to 4 months to hit the Alpine reloading room for supplies. The two shop owner were big bore freaks from the word go and anything below the .375 H&H was beneath their contempt. Anyway, we were talking as usual and as I'd just bought a .44 mag. Ruger Super Blackhawk I mentioned I'd got it as I might be transferred to Alaska. One thing one of the guys said has always stuck with me. "If you're attacked by a bear, shoot him five times. Save that last one for yourself and it will hurt like hell when the bear is eating you alive." Between the two gentlemen there were three grizzly bear bears, two Kodiaks and one polar bear mounts in the shop, taken by them. I took them at their word that they might know what they were talking about. The only sad ting is I never got my transfer to Alaska.
Paul B.

DrMike":3odlpf21 said:
noslerpartition":3odlpf21 said:
Rest in Peace.

I've had the experience of a dog standing between me and a trail, refusing to permit me to pass. I'm reasonably certain she realized a bear was ahead on the trail. A good dog can be a life saver. As for hunting alone, I have done so on numerous occasions, but I am aware that there is a measure of risk. Still, I'm more comfortable when I'm with a trusted friend such as BlkRam when game is down, especially in the high meadows.
Precisely why I love having a hunting Dog with me! My previous English Lab saved my butt from more than a few Black bears, and one Brown bear. I'm pretty sure Zuri would too but she's never been the type to not back down from a fight like Pebbles.... She even saved my hide from a Bobcat I made the mistake of trying to release from a leghold trap. Stupid me thought I could throw my jacket over it... No, and she came charging in to protect me! God I loved that Dog!

Very tragic and sorry to hear that it happened.
The thing is this can happen to any of us whether we are in big bear or black bear country.
Even hiking with your dog has been a problem in the mountains where I live on the east coast and had a man attacked the other day hiking with his dog when the dog brought a black bear back to him. The man survived with minor injuries and the DNR is looking for the 150lb Black bear that attacked him. I hunt deer in the area where the attack occurred.
After the wife and I came across fresh bear dung while hiking just across the boarder in PA I will carry my Bear spray with me when we go again.

I hunt in their county (ABC Islands in SE AK) solo every year. Many others do also. Probably not going to stop anytime soon. Maybe I’ll get eaten some day too but I’m still gonna keep going.

Blkram/Gil taught me that when I was up there Moose hunting with him, Mike and Gerry. We were in a Mountain Blue Berry patch and 2 picked and one stood on guard with his rifle on hand.
I have a photo showing Gil and Gerry enjoying the Blue Berries.
My condolences to the Family and Friend of the young Hunter that was killed by the Grizzly Bear :(.

Blessings,
Dan

Back