Trailer Blind and Shooting Chair for Rifle

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
This is the new trailer blind I started last winter and finished this summer. It has an old car/truck frame that I found in the woods above the barn. The axel is from a old round baler was "parted out". The blind is 5' x 5' and built out of PT plywood. The paint job was a fun project for some artist friends. The front legs and the steps fold up for moving.

The shooting chair for a rifle that I put in my number one stand. I had previous posted photos of a shooting chair for a pistol.

The shooting rail on this chair raises and lowers due to the use of a "trigger stick" that supports the frame. The pistol grip rests on a rubber coated "table" and the foreend rests on a rail with pipe insulation for padding. I can raise the shooting frame just by lifting it. I can lower it by pulling the trigger on the trigger stick.

Notice the cup holders and little shelves on the sides. I put them on just to be funny but they are really very useful.

My 650 yard field is in the background. Just above my back is one of my rolling hunting blinds. It is located about 1/2 way down the field. I shot my buck this year from that stand.

Attachments

• Rifle Chair - Front.JPG
    Rifle Chair - Front.JPG
    339.9 KB · Views: 559
  • Rifle Chair - Down Position.jpg
    Rifle Chair - Down Position.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 559
  • Trailer Stand - Front Left.JPG
    Trailer Stand - Front Left.JPG
    340 KB · Views: 559
  • Trailer Stand - Left Rear.jpg
    Trailer Stand - Left Rear.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 559
Perfect. I really enjoy roughing it when I hunt, and a blind and chair such as that would allow me to rough it in style. :grin:

Perfect for those treacherous hunting expeditions… In NY I guess??? :mrgreen: And pretty flowers for cammo!

Sorry, looks cool. Kind of like those ice fishing shacks you see.

Very nice.

I have a pickup box trailer that I have been going to convert into a hunting blind, but I just never seem to get started. Generally when I go hunting I have one or two others with me (usually one of my daughters and or grandkids). The size of the pickup box trailer will give us a little room so we don't annoy each other. Since I do not own any land it will have to get towed quite a bit from hunting site to hunting site, generally not far though.

Larry

Ive been thinking on a trailer stand for a couple years. As I am getting less able to walk to my stand It would be nice for the guys to be able to pull it out to my spot and leave it there rather than having to load it in and out of another trailer. one of those low entry u-haul trailers and a ramp for the W/C would be the ticket. Looks nice. CL

Here are a couple of other photos that I couldn't get to upload before.

Attachments

• Rifle Chair - Up Position.JPG
    Rifle Chair - Up Position.JPG
    307.3 KB · Views: 497
  • Rifle Chair - Left Side.JPG
    Rifle Chair - Left Side.JPG
    366.1 KB · Views: 497
dan
Those are really nice setups. I particularly like the CAMO paint job, it sure does blend in with the background foliage. Did you make the chair, or is it available commercially?

Elkman,

I made the chair. The seat is from a tractor. The base is from an office chair that was thrown out from an office down the street from my office. The trigger stick I bought at Gander Mountain. The bellows (shock absorber covers) I ordered from a truck supply store. The rail is 1" O.D. Aluminum tubing I threaded with 3/4" pipe dies. The rails are covered with closed cell foam pipe insulation. The table part is constructed of PVC tubing, plywood and rubber roofing. The frame work on the back of the chair is aluminum angle. The shooting frame hinges on a set of 1" pillow block bearings I ordered from McMaster-Carr. Various and sundry other connectors, etc. I either bought at the local hardware store or ordered from McMaster-Carr or Dennis Kirk (tie rod ends).

cloverleaf":2xxwkdkh said:
Ive been thinking on a trailer stand for a couple years. As I am getting less able to walk to my stand It would be nice for the guys to be able to pull it out to my spot and leave it there rather than having to load it in and out of another trailer. one of those low entry u-haul trailers and a ramp for the W/C would be the ticket. Looks nice. CL

CL - I was hoping you'd take a look at this thread. I'm thinking that sedan of yours could pull a lightweight trailer just fine. Something like this could be just the ticket for getting you a solid little "hunter's hide" for your deer-sniping... I think it would work out sweet!

NYDAN - nice setup. Our friend CL could make good use of something like that.

All the best, Guy

Guy Miner":3sjb0538 said:
cloverleaf":3sjb0538 said:

CL - I was hoping you'd take a look at this thread. I'm thinking that sedan of yours could pull a lightweight trailer just fine. Something like this could be just the ticket for getting you a solid little "hunter's hide" for your deer-sniping... I think it would work out sweet!

NYDAN - nice setup. Our friend CL could make good use of something like that.

All the best, Guy

Yup, been thinkin on this concept as I said. Below is a pic of my current trailer blind- "the rickshaw" as we call it. As I said I still have to step up into this one (which is getting too tough) and it has to be trailer-ed to and from the field. Once its there and unloaded, two guys can pick up the front end and pull it a lot of places. Its pretty light has canvas walls all the way around and swivel boat seat in the middle. Its a little to short so my feet stick out the front a little but if you can bend your knees, and step up into it, its just the ticket. To have a trailer with a ramp out the back, a swivel seat, and some rails or sides would be the deal. Been watching Craigs list for a suitable low deck trailer. After that building the rest is fairly easy.

However, this is what I would really like....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkUhDoX-FFY

or this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hljQy_4TAIc

The way I figure this thing could pick up my P&Y pronghorn and put it in the truck bed for me. All I need is a winning lotto ticket.... been asking Santa for several years :) Must not be THAT good :lol: :lol: CL

Those are pretty cool devices, Troy. I had no idea. That would be great for you.

I like your innovation.
That's a cool looking stand with the camo paint job.

Back