Troubled Ruger M77

cdanforth

Beginner
Dec 17, 2006
There seem to be some very experienced people on this forum and I have a problem that maybe some of you can help with.

My brother bought a Ruger M77 .223 new. It's a standard stock rifle, blued with wood. He has a Leupold VX II 3X9 scope on it with Leupold rings.

Since he bought this gun he has had problems with accuracy. The best group he can shoot with it is about 1.5" at 100 yd. He had the trigger worked on, and had it glass bedded. The barrel is free floating which as far as I know should take care of any expansion problems. He has tried several different commercial and hand loads with little or no success. He uses Butche's bore shine cleaner as the manufacturer recommends and always shoots off of sand bags on a bench.

Have any of you heard anything about the M77's that resembles this problem, or do you have any ideas of what to try next?

Thanks for your info

Clint

Yes actually I have had the same problem out of one chambered in .308 Win. Although, this paticular gun was used, it had only been fired about 15-20 times. I no longer have the gun because of this. I took the gun to a local gunsmith and he told me that the barrel was bent. He also said that it is not uncomon for a gun to get bent in shipping. He has had Remington's, Savag's, Weatherby's, Winchester's, and ruger's all come in with bent barrels, and as far as I know there is only one solution for that.

Get a New Barrel!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Try different bullets, powders, and primers. Also, maybe it needs a new crown. If these do not work try giving it a new home.

How tight are the action screws? Ruger tend to shoot better with the middle screw a half turn back after tightening.

The reality is, the gun may not be able to shoot any better than 1.5" groups. Ruger would consider that very acceptable accuracy - ask them.

- Ruger makes their own barrels now, but then they changed over from using third-party barels they had some quality issues. The barrels they used to buy were pretty cheap too. No remedy other than to replace the barrel.

- The chamber may not be reamed correctly on a mass-produced gun like the Ruger. No remedy other than the above.

- The front of the action may not be true - this is common on factory actions. The barrel is cocked when tightened, producing stresses which do not help accuracy. Remedy - true-up action, rechamber barrel.

- Contrary to popular legend, some barrels shoot much better with some pressure from the stock. Remedy - try placing some business cards i nteh barrel channel near the forend tip, enough to put a little pressure on the barrel when the action screws are tightened. Shoot and see if it helps.

- Can he shoot any rifle better than 1.5" groups consistently?

cdanforth":2wklcihz said:
The barrel is free floating which as far as I know should take care of any expansion problems.
Clint

I do not follow. Expansion?

Back