Twist Rate ?

GKMAC

Beginner
Apr 4, 2006
How do you find the twist rate of your barrel? I'm shooting a Ruger M77 Varmit in 220 swift. I've read a few post about stabalizing bullets. I just got a box of .22 cal 60 grain partitions to try on deer. Will they work in my rifle?

Thanks

Take a tight fitting patch on your cleaning rod and run the patch slowly down the bore. When the rod has rotated 1 turn measure the amount of travel down the barrel. This is the twist for your rifle bore.

I believe the twist of a Ruger 220 swift is 1/14" I may be wrong but at any rate it is fast enough 60 gr bullets will have no trouble stabilizing in it.

GKMAC - I probably have the same rifle (Ruger M77, Varmint barrel, 220 Swift) and it is 1 in 14". Since I bought the rifle slightly used, I called Ruger; they checked by serial number to give me the twist.

Incidentally, mine shoots 50 - 52 gr balls best; doesn't even seem to like 55 gr very much, though I'm sure you can build a load for what you want to shoot thru it... I really like mine.

When I have had that question I just look on the manufacturers website for the info.

But can any of you tell me if manufacturers change the rate of twist on their rifles if the caliber etc... is the same over the years?

Long

Thje next time you clean your rifle....
Insert the brush into the bore. Make a mark on the cleaning rod next to the reciever. Make another mark next to the handle, push the rod down the bore until it turns one revolution. Make another mark. pull the rod out of the rifle and measure the distance between the marks.

I have the same rifle with the same twist rate that was mentioned & it seems to work best with lighter & shorter bullets. I get my best results with Hornady 50gr. spsx flat base bullets.

Happy Thanksgiving Guys!
Jar Head

old #7":1l7p4qgk said:
Thje next time you clean your rifle....
Insert the brush into the bore. Make a mark on the cleaning rod next to the reciever. Make another mark next to the handle, push the rod down the bore until it turns one revolution. Make another mark. pull the rod out of the rifle and measure the distance between the marks.

+1

JD338

Back