Two bulls down!

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007
Well we had a great season. Went up the day before the season opened and checked out our little spot. Found a heard of thirty five that had a small five by six, and several rag horns. Also spotted a heard of five bulls, three five points, a small six, and a small rag horn. We snuck out and spent the rest of the day checking out new country. didn't see any more elk but we did see a really nice five by five mulie buck chasing a few ladies around.

Opening morning we were up there before daylight. started glassing for elk. About 7:45 we spotted the heard of thirty five, but couldn't find the five bigger bulls to save our lives. With a rainy forcast for the rest of the season combined with the fact thatq if it did rain we couldn't get to our spot, we decided to go after the bulls in the big heard. We sat a watched them for a while to make sure we knew where they where going. In ths counrty you don't want to be wrong, it's a steep hike. After we figured them out we headed down to intercept. We got into position and they showed up like we had planned. My brother had first shot, and was wanting to shoot as soon as possible. I made him wait because every step the elk took up saved us at least two! They finally got in a position above us and I told him to take his bull and I would take one if they stuck around for another shot. Next thing I know my ears are ringing with the sound of a 130 TTSX leaving the muzzle at 3100 pfs, and the smack of the bullet hiting the bull. The heard took off heading up the draw. I was waiting for them to clear some trees and bushes, when I heard my youngest brother say "oh "crap"" I looked down and my brothers bull had crossed the draw and was on our side heading down reallly fast! Aaron (the shooter) just stood there and said "he's hit in the lungs". Well lung shot or not he was heading down hill! I swung off my shooting sticks and touched off the 280 AI and grounded him. I quickly swung back up the hill to the heard that had now cleared the trees and started scanning for my bull. Mike (USMC brother) was ratteling off ranges, "300", no shot. "350" again not shot. "418" By now the elk were getting out there and I gave up on that particular bull and just picked one out that was standing broadside. Got the propper elevation and ignored the 20 MPH headwind, and let a 160 AB fly. Before I could recover from the recoil I heard my brothers saying "holy crap, he's squirting blood out all over. He's done" About that time I get sight of him and he takes a step or two and falls down the hill ten yards. Then the work started! We had two bulls down by 9:00 AM. It was a great day.

100_3311.jpg

100_3310.jpg

Some of the country we hunted in. It's steeper than it looks.
glassing.jpg

Me looking for elk the day before the season.
Aaronsbull.jpg

My brothers bull. Shot at 250 yards with 130 TTSX out of a 308.
100_3307.jpg

My Bull shot at 420 with 160 Ab out of the 280 AI. Bullet enterd right behind the close shoulder and the blood you see is the exit. Took the top of the hear off. Pretty impressed for a "little" gun.

It looks like a great spot and congrats on a couple of real nice bulls. Good shooting too. The country looks pretty steep but elk seem to like that. Did you have to pack them out or was there a easier way? Real nice trip :grin:

Awsome job and some fine shooting there. Great looking bulls Looks a lot like where I live in the Tri-Cities, Washington. I thinking I'm really starting to like the 7mm 160 grain AccuBond bullet. I shot my elk with one this year and great performance too.

Corey

Superb job and great account. A couple of fine looking bulls, but the shared hunt makes the game especially memorable.

Great shooting and fine looking bulls. Those Accubonds are something aren't they! Thanks for the photo's and story.

Wow! That is a great day. Congratulations. You guys did great. Am very impressed that you transitioned from your bull back to the wounded bull, stopped it, then went back and got on another bull - shows some excellent skill & competence afield.

Thanks for sharing the story & photos. When you get a chance, educate us a little more about how the shots from the 160 & 130 gr bullets did please.

Wow... Two big bulls in the morning. Very cool.

Jake,

That is just great! Your hard work, planning and scouting really paid off. Those are some dandy bulls. Good shooting to the both of you.
Thanks for the text message and the phone call, ya made my day! 8)

JD338

Great bulls. Oregon is tough state to find those bigger bulls in. Nice photo's!! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the kind words fellas. I had a great time with my brothers for sure. getting the bulls was just a bonus.

The 130 TTSX hit a bit back and punched the close side lung and offside lung and exited just behind the offside shoulder. The shot was about 250 yards, and the wind was gusting from none to 15 MPH or so at 90 degrees to the shot. The grounding shot with the 280 AI was about 100 yards running. I gave him a good two foot lead and still shot the tenderloins out of him :oops:. Neither bullet did much blood shot. When Aaron was dressing him out he said there was a good quarter sized hole through both lungs.

On the second bull he was standing broadside at a pretty steep incline at 420 yards. He had just started to turn and head back up the hill when I shot him. I saw him Kick and then heard my brothers shouting. after the shot he wasn't on his feet for more than 15 seconds, before he rolled down the hill. the 160 AB enterd right behind the shoulder, and because of the angle at the shot exited the neck in front of the offside shoulder. Exit hole was not quite quarter size, and meat damage was very minimal. One of the chambers of the heart had the top missing when I dressed him out. According to quick load Impact fps should have been right around 2225 fps with about 1775 ft-lbs.

I'm kind of glad I let my brothers talk me out of using my 338 WM. I took it as a back up, and felt bad about leaving it in the trailer. It is my elk gun after all. But I gave in and decided to bloddy the new rifle. Sure glad I did.

Just goes to show that shot placement is still the most important thing a guy can do to get game down.

Great bulls Jake! Those are some great bulls! You did really well. Great shooting, and thanks for the bullet report. Man, your 280AI smoked that bull. What is your load that you ended up using? Sounds like a keeper! Congratulations. Hope your brother gets to take a little meat back to Camp Pen with him. Might have to squirrel away a few steaks in his barracks fridge! Been there! Scotty

Jake,

You nailed it, shot placement is paramount.

JD338

160 AB
59 gr. RL-22
RP Brass
3.345"
2930 fps

Yeah he is getting a few bags of jerky sent to him as soon as I can get it made! I don't think he has enough room in his fridge for steaks, pretty sure its full of beer.

Yeah, I imagine so! I am pretty sure mine was only full when my friends weren't around and that wasn't often! Man, a Marine in the barracks! He is going to be telling the elk hunt story to about anyone who'll listen I bet! He will have to try hunting the muleys on base. It is pretty easy, and they are a blast to hunt! Scotty

Wow you are using a full 10 grains less of RL 22 than I'm using my 7mm Rem Mag and getting almost the same velocity, I'm around 2980 fps. Thats awsome.

Corey

Some guys get better fps than what I'm getting. I'm running this gun really close to the upper limit. That load shoots right around half inch in my gun. I'm going to be doing some work with some 140 BTs this winter. Hoping to get around 3150. Its kind of funny how that works out, with different case designs and all.

Jake -

Great job on your hunt and Congrats on a couple of nice looking bulls.

See - these "little" guns do the job just fine :wink: as you stated - shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.

Great looking country as well - our far northwest part of the state looks somewhat like that - there are some monster bulls in that territory.

Back