Two Rifles, Same Caliber?

dezmick

Beginner
Mar 5, 2011
do any of you have 2 rifles that are the same caliber, and if so do you load them with different grain bullets so you can use one for smaller game, and the other one for larger game, i am just curious because i was thinking about getting another 7 WSM.

I have more then two rifles in several calibers.
My goal is usually to find one load that will shoot well in all of them......less work that way.

I keep the brass separate from the two .308 Win rifles here. Slightly different sized chambers, and the handloaded ammo doesn't interchange all that well between them.

They both get the same variety of hunting bullets though, mostly 165's.

I have seven 30/06s and they all have their own load. Loads do not interchange between them so I have my own method to keep things seperate.Rick.

If I want to hunt smaller or larger game, I just use a smaller or larger rifle. Like A_S, I just try to find what shoots best... with a reasonable bullet, of course.

'do any of you have 2 rifles that are the same caliber, and if so do you load them with different grain bullets so you can use one for smaller game, and the other one for larger game,"

Yes, all are load and use specific.

I own, 3 rifles in the 270win caliber. I shoot 130gr ABs in all of them but each has a different load and I use only the brass shot from that particular rifle :)

Blessings,
Dan

I used to own two 30-06's, a M700 BDL and a M742 Carbine. Sold them both and now I don't even own a 30 cal. :shock:

JD338

I had two .358s at the same time; they shot the same load. I had three Model 94s chambered in .356 Winchester; they each shot a different load. However, since they were Model 94s, the brass received a full length resize, so segregating brass was not a problem. I now have two .307s; they appear to require different loads, though they will likely shoot the same bullet. I also have two .280s; they shoot different loads and I have to segregate the brass. However, each shoots 139/140 bullets, though the newer of the two handles 150s and 160s much better. That one may ultimately be used primarily with 150 grain Partitions.

Good morning Mike, I just read that response and thought I was there :). But did not get to see your collection :( I apologize for that, but that will give me a reason to come up again :mrgreen:. Maybe the next time I could be a camera guy and we could get some photos of you taking a black bear or something.

Blessings,
Dan

rick smith":38dgfzi7 said:
I have seven 30/06s and they all have their own load. Loads do not interchange between them so I have my own method to keep things seperate.Rick.

OMG :!:
Can anyone top that. I bet among Rick's other calibers, he is a crack shot with his 30-06s. :mrgreen:

G'day, Dan. We did cover a bit of ground when you were here, however. On the OP, I do shoot some rifle that are so close in ballistics that they are virtual twins. My 7WSM and 7RM shoot the same bullets at virtually identical velocities. Consequently, I shoot 175 grain bullets from my 7RM and 160 grain bullets from my 7WSM. The 7RM shoots Partitions and Speer Mag-Tips; the 7WSM shoots AccuBonds and Sierra Hollow Points.

I have 2 270 WSM's that will shoot the same load.
I find this comforting on a deer hunt, knowing that the rifles can be interchanged and not worry about getting the right load for the right gun.
But the Rem. has a shorter chamber than the Savage, which can cause problems reloading, as Savage cases will not always chamber in the Rem.

I had two 30-06 Springfields, but not at the same time. My first was a Remington 700 ADL, and the latest one I still have and will never part with is my Ruger #1B in 30-06. What is interesting though is the fact that they both shot the same exact load with everything, including seating depth the same, and shot them very well. If I had them both, they both right now would be shooting the same exact load! As other stated though, I would keep the brass separate for each.

57.4 grs. of IMR4350, Winchester brass, Federal 210 primer, 3.375 OAL with 165 gr. Nosler Partitions.

I used that same load, left the seating die where it was so the bullet to lands distance would be the same, and loaded up 165 gr. Accubonds and tried them. They are a bit longer OAL because the bullet is slightly different shaped and longer, but my #1B shot them great. I did not have to change a thing. Now that is really lucky!

And here's the proof. I shot the first two it looked like one hole. The next one was just slightly out, but oh my! I then dialed for correction and fired one more on the target on the right. Exactly how I like to have my rifles sighted in at 100 yards. So it is possible to have more than one rifle in the same caliber like the same load. Possible but very lucky if they do.

David

30-06attherange001-2.jpg

JD338":10hzmvgu said:
I used to own two 30-06's, a M700 BDL and a M742 Carbine. Sold them both and now I don't even own a 30 cal. :shock:

JD338

Well, we all make mistakes. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul B.

I think some overloooked, mistakened. or misunderstood the OP's question.
It was rifles of the same chambering, with seperate loading's in order to shoot different bullet weights.
Not whether 2 different rifles, would shoot the same loading.
In example such as mine, a 6mm AI, one for 55 grain, and one forthe heavy weights. Or a .30-06, one with a 165 gr. and the other with a 180 gr. ect. I also do it with a the .308.

Dave you are correct. I completely missed that part, or got completely off track someplace along the way. :oops: :) I've had two 6mm Remingtons that were mine for a long time, but I did not have one set up for varmints and one for game although I guess I could have set them up that way. I just never did. I loaded up 100 gr. Partitions for both my model 600 Remington and my #1B.
David

There are at least 6 25/06s here, along with 2 .280s, 4 .223s, & 4 .30-06 M1 Garands. :) The .223s all shoot the same load, the .25/06s shoot different stuff, and I only shoot 1 of the Garands.

I have a couple of .300WSMs- both shoot the same load, both are very accurate.

I tend to find a particular bullet I like in a cartridge and stick with it. I really like the .30cal 180AB.

Back