UTV Gun Rack

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
At the end of the year, I purchased a Polaris Ranger SP 570 UTV (side-by-side).

I wanted a gun rack that would securely and safely hold a rifle or shotgun while I was driving it. However, I didn't want to drill holes in my brand new machine and permanently mount something that would be in the way for the other 10 months of the year. I also didn't want a gun boot (available as an accessory) that mounts on the outside of the machine. I wanted something that was easily removeable and inside the cab of the machine.

This is what I came up with. I will paint it once it gets warmer weather.

I made tapered 2x4 pieces that wedge into the cup holders on the dashboard and the seat. Incidently, the dashboard cup holders have a different taper from the seat cup holders.

DSCN2021.JPG

DSCN2022.JPG

DSCN2023.JPG

DSCN2032.JPG

DSCN2025.JPG

DSCN2026.JPG

It works very well for me, and I am very pleased. I can install it or remove it in a fraction of a minute.

Dan

At the end of the year, I purchased a Polaris Ranger SP 570 UTV (side-by-side).

I wanted a gun rack that would securely and safely hold a rifle or shotgun while I was driving it. However, I didn't want to drill holes in my brand new machine and permanently mount something that would be in the way for the other 10 months of the year. I also didn't want a gun boot (available as an accessory) that mounts on the outside of the machine. I wanted something that was easily removeable and inside the cab of the machine.

This is what I came up with. I will paint it once it gets warmer weather.

I made tapered 2x4 pieces that wedge into the cup holders on the dashboard and the seat. Incidently, the dashboard cup holders have a different taper from the seat cup holders.

View attachment 21925

View attachment 21926

View attachment 21927

View attachment 21930

View attachment 21928

View attachment 21929

It works very well for me, and I am very pleased. I can install it or remove it in a fraction of a minute.

Dan
Pretty thrifty Dan!
Now to see what I can do with this idea for my Wolverine X2, for 2 firearms!

That's pretty nice Dan.
Congratulations on your new Ranger. They are nice machines. I'm been shopping some for one as well. I'll keep your idea in mind although here in MI, guns have to be in a case.

JD338

What is that whitish looking grainy stuff you built with??? Looks like it must have come from an organic 3-D printer or somthing? 🤔 🤣 So nice to see some body actually building something to fit a need. Hope it works out. Paint it black unless you want to keep showing off.... CL

Thank you for the kind words.

The bed of the UTV has pockets all around the front and sides that accommodate 1"x4" boards and 1-5/16" closet rods. That allows for all sorts of easy to install and remove attachments such as:

A block and tackle to pull a deer into the raised bed.
DSCN2029.JPG

A hook to hold your backpack out of the wet and blood in the bed.

DSCN2027.JPG

A slow-moving vehicle sign and tool holders.

DSCN2028.JPG

Great idea that looks very usable. Just a little word of wisdom on the use of wood that fits into pockets/cup holders, if it gets wet the wood will swell and lock in place making a mechanical lock. had this happen to me with a boat rack I made for a pickup to haul a johnboat on before I got a trailer.

I'll be using your idea of the block and tackle for loading deer . I thought of doing this , but was afraid it would break the bed .

I got this with my buggy , I've never had a gun in it . getting dirty from lying around .

P2090576.JPG

Great idea that looks very usable. Just a little word of wisdom on the use of wood that fits into pockets/cup holders, if it gets wet the wood will swell and lock in place making a mechanical lock. had this happen to me with a boat rack I made for a pickup to haul a johnboat on before I got a trailer.
Rodger, you make a very valid point. I am hoping to keep the gun rack relatively dry by purchasing the roof and windshield options on the Ranger. Also, I store the UTV under cover. However, things could easily get wet when left in a rainstorm and snowstorm when out hunting. Dan

I'll be using your idea of the block and tackle for loading deer . I thought of doing this , but was afraid it would break the bed .

I got this with my buggy , I've never had a gun in it . getting dirty from lying around .

View attachment 21997
Jim, those are good looking gun boots. Are they offered as options from your buggy manufacturer? Or, are they third party offering? Dan

Jim, those are good looking gun boots. Are they offered as options from your buggy manufacturer? Or, are they third party offering? Dan
these are Polaris . it's a nice set up , I've just never used it .

Back