Varget vs. IMR 4064 in .308 Winchester??

nosler06

Handloader
Nov 13, 2012
I am wondering what the opinions are from the rest of you on this one. I have done some researching on the internet and other forums and I am trying to figure out if I am understanding this correctly. I have seen alot of discussion that is stating that Varget is better suited for the heavier bullet like 180-190gr and the IMR 4064 is better suited to the lighter bullets like 150-168gr in the .308 Winchester.
What got me to looking into this is wanting to try some IMR 4064 in my .308 BLR to see what the groupings are like compared to the Varget loads that I have settled on. I load my .308 with 165gr Nosler Parts only. If I need heavier bullet that is what the 30-06 is for.
What are your opinions and have any one of you had better results using either powder for what others claim they are better suited for. Like Varget better for heavier bullets and vice versa.

6 and 1/2 dozen the other. Both are about the same in burn rate. Add in RL15 and if those three won't shoot, there is likely something wrong with the rifle.

I agree with Scotty. They're both good. One may be better for your rifle than another.

When I was doing a lot of 600 yard match shooting, I was using 155 gr bullets (Sierra & Nosler). Almost always I used Varget with the .308 Win. It did real well, and I was shooting "High Master" long-range class.

I believe IMR 4064 has been around quite a bit longer than Varget. Either are good powders. As is RL-15.

In fact, there are MANY good powders for the .308 Win, and a guy could probably make himself crazy trying to figure out the very best one.

Good Luck on that! :grin:

Guy

When I began reloading many moons ago I started with 4064 and had good results. Later, friends who work for another major bullet company sang the praises of Varget so I gave it a whirl and have stuck with it.

I have gotten stellar results with Varget in the 308 using a variety of bullet weights in numerous rifles over the years (have more 308's than any other caliber). Likewise I have gotten the same kinds of performance using it in anything 308-based.

Ron

My advice is to let your rifle tell you which one it likes best. Go shoot them both and see what results you get.

In my experience these powders are so much alike in performance that it is rather amazing. Varget is supposed to be resistant to temperature changes and it sure is easier to load than IMR 4064 due to the difference in kernel length. However, for me at least, the performance has been identical.

EXCEPT, in my 7mm-08 when shooting Barnes 120 grain TSX bullets. In that rifle IMR 4064 outshoots anything I have tried. (Which includes a number of powders.)

You've received good advice from all. Similar burn rates and similar results across a variety of platforms. Let your rifle/load decide for you.

If there's not a lot of accuracy/velocity difference between powders, I'd choose the one that meters best.

So, if I am reading evryones info Varget is not designated to use with a heavier bullet and IMR 4064 use with the lighter bullets. I will still do another test run with the Varget and once fired winchester brass up to max and see what it shoots like and if there are any pressure signs. I have read that IMR 4064 is not the most metering friendly of powders. Not like the 4350, 4831 and varget style of grains. The only thing to do is find the time to hit the range again before the deep snow.

Both should do well throughout the normal range of bullets used in the 308 Win, you'll be fine with either.

Varget, N140, RL-15, IMR and AA 4064 are all essentially the same NATO spec 7,62 powder mfg by different nations with slightly different properties due to mfg differences, and a different coating on Varget.

They are all superb in .308 class calibers with most-all bullet weights and any one could be equally good with your 165gr bullets. Metering should not be a big concern as I bet you trickle/weigh your charges anyway. I've noticed little difference between Varget and I 4064 as far as metering. Both have shorter grains than 4350 or 4831, longer than 4320. If you have a fine load with Varget, stick with it. If you need something generally more readily available, IMR 4064 seems to be the most common.

If you want to optimize for a heavier bullet, any of H380, IMR 4320 or Viht N150 might be worth a look.

As already posted my 308 does well with RL -15, and Varget. I am saving my 4064 for my Whelen. They are all three great powders

There isn't enough difference between the two to call one better than the other. Varget is a short cut grain so it should meter a little better if that matters.

Back