Varmint gun

For Longrange work:

6MM Remington and 87 grain V-Max. Custom Mauser with 28" Shilen Matchgrade barrel.
308 Winchester and 155 grain Lapua. M700 Tactical with 25" Pac-Nor SM

Dual purpose: 243 Sako Forrester and 95 grain Nosler BT

For Mid and short range: 222 Remington Mag 40X and 40 grain V-Max

For walk about: 223 Kimber Model 82 and 55 grain Nosler BT

My walk around varmut rifles are an Anschutz 1715 DHB in .17HMR, an old Brno ZKW465 in .22 Hornet an old Sako L46 fullwood stock in .222Rem and a custom Winchester 70 in .22/250 Ackley with standard 1:14 twist.

My lie down and snipe at them guns are a custom Rem700 in .22/250 with a fast 1:8 twist barrel throated long for the heavy bullets, a custom Winchester 70 in .240 Wby Mag with a 28" heavy barrel and a Remington Sendero in .25/06.

Have just lashed out and bought a Remington XR-100 in .223 Rem which I guess will be a sort of cross over between walking and sitting. Can't hardly wait to get me hands on it, I reckon it will be a ripper.

My go to varmint rifle is still my H&R ultra varmit .223. get 1/2" groups using nosler ballistic tips an its effects on critters down range is deadly if I do my job. Also short enough to be swung fast in the heat of battle.

I mostly hunt yotes, so my varmint guns are a little big because I use the same guns on deer.

I have a beat up pre-64 model 70 winchester in 264 mag with the old fashioned elevation mounts and a vx 1 scope for walking around, loaded with a 120gr nbt, 60 gr of IMR 4350 and fed mag primer. This gun if my favorite, but I don't shoot it much because I don't want to have to change barrels.

a cz550 varmint in 308 for mid-long range,
and a 30-378 wby accumark for big game.

My go to round is my 22-250 Rem 700 Varmiter. I also have a .222 40X, AR in .223, Rem 700 Varmiter in .223. Still nothing like the 22-250.

Where are the .220 guys? Personally don't have one, but one of these days......or the .240 Mag?

Chalk another one up for the 22-250. I love the versatility of the round.

Here in Nor Cal I use it for all predators and squirrels. With the 55 gr BT, the squirrels explode into a "red mist". :twisted:

I have even taken a 150 lbs hog with it. Used a 60 gr Partition...first shot was in the boiler room and the second shot was behind the ear....meat in the freezer!

Im planing to use my rem 700 custom for fox, used a Tikka in 22-250. But sold it to get a Stolle Kodiak

Vapen005.JPG.jpg

Sadly it`s not mine yet, stil have to get more $ on the table.

The rem got a 6mm ppc border barrel, jewl trigger, 20 moa farrel base and so on. Shoots like a dreem. Ust need a ragefinder 8)

But if i waned a new gun i wood get a Sako varmint in 243 ore 22-250

If I had to pick a varmit round and not a "dual-purpose" round,it would have to be the .204 Ruger.I had one when they first came out in a Remmy 700 and shot it for a year and a half but sold it becuase I could not get reloading supplies for it (I was in Alaska at the time).

Very flat shooting,no recoil what so ever.It was nice being able to see through the scope the entire time after the shot and not having to re-adjust yourself.It also did a number on the wolves and foxes I shot with it.Wasnt much for "pelt-saving" though. :lol:

Tim

My varmint rifle consists of a Savage Model 12 BTVS 22-250. I shoot Nosler 50 grainers with 36.0g Varget and CCI BR-2 Primers. The 22-250 seems to be the rifle of choice for varmints. My next rifle is going to be the same model just chambered out to a 22-250 Middlestead. I believe it is a flatter shooting round with added range.

lakesidefoxfarm":skn8u7vw said:
My next rifle is going to be the same model just chambered out to a 22-250 Middlestead. I believe it is a flatter shooting round with added range.

Tell us more about the 22-250 Middlestead.

JD338

Nice! Should shoot fast and flat, every varmint hunters dream.

JD338

Som how i got the need to hawe a new varmint gun :roll: cant understan this sicknes :twisted: But the need is bad and so i orderd an Kimber pro varmint cal 223

provarmint.jpg

Planing to topp it whit a Zeizz 4.5-14x50 i got.

Eny of you that hawe this gun ore tryed it?

AR-15 bushmaster varminter with a nikon 4.5-14 loaded with 50 gr V-max. The AR just took out two red fox. Little past 300 yards and that rifle makes really easy to do.

Got a 10-22 with a burris compact loaded with stingers for close in charging groundhogs.

Wel the gun is finaly here :grin:

Shooth it for the first time to day, started whit AE ammo. Shoot som were arund 1moa, not to happy ambut that but had som fed whit 40grs bal tip shot ca 1/2 moa.
Pholished the barrel betveen the first 5 shoots and then between ewery 3 shoots.

Looking forvard to get som hanlodes for it 8)

kimber.jpg

Back