VX-R update

R Flowers

Handloader
Oct 23, 2004
Well, I got to take the new VX-R 3-9 to the range today and I am even more impressed.

I took the new scope mounted on my Remington 700Classic chambered in .338 Win Mag and went to the range this morning. I bore sighted the thing and the first shots at 50 yards were about 3 inches low and left.

Simple to get sighted in at 100. The windage and elevation adjustments are very good, very precise,they move just what you tell them to and the first shot is right there, none of this shooting a coupleof shots before the scope moves all it is going to.

But once again, I am just quite surprised how sharp and clear and bright this 3-9 power scope is.
I have become spoiled, I own a bunch of Leupold VX3 4.5-14x40 LR scopes and they are VERY good scopes. But at 100 yards, with both set on 9 power, I could not tell the difference between the VX-R and the VX3.

I was shooting at the Redfield sight in targets, the ones with the large diamond in the middle and four smaller ones in each corner. The background of the target is lined off in one inch squares by fine red lines. I could simply not tell the difference in the VX-R and VX3 in regards to seeing the diamonds and the fine lines in the background.

When I turned on the lighted reticle I found it fit quite nicely inside the little diamonds on the target making sighting quite nice.

I guess I am like a kid with a new toy, but if you haven't guessed yet, I LIKE IT!

Thanks for the report on the VX-R Leupold. I have made my choice and went with the VX3 Leupold but it sounds as though the VX-R is a very capable scope. Hmm, maybe next time?

Great report. Don't hear much about the VXR's, but when I do, all seems good.

RF,

Thanks for the report.
I think I am going to get one for my daughter's ML.

JD338

I bought a VX-R 1-4 on another forum.

I have a new to me Marlin Guide gun in need of a scope.

Will be comparing the VX-R 1-4 against a VX-III 1.5-5 side by side for this rifle. Should be fun to see which makes the cut.

That is cool, I just bought a VX-3, 1.5-5x20 about 3 months ago. I did not have an opportunity to look through a 1-4x20 VX-R before I made the decision to go with the VX-3. I would be interested in reading the comparison of the two scopes vis-a-vis.

I have the exact same scope on my Ruger 1S 338 win.

Back