Weatherby and Remington bases?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Do the Older Mark V Japanese weatherbies use the same mounts as the Remington 700's. Seems to me they do.

I know the vanguards do.

Actually, according to Talley (who seems to know the most about these bridge heights) there is a difference between the Vanguard and the Rem700, and a further difference between that and the US-Made Mark Vs. I'm making an assumption that the Mark Vs made in Germany/Japan are just like the Vanguards. In that light, the regular 700-style bases do fit the Vanguard and the Japanese Mark Vs as far as I know, as the .008" or so difference in the bridge heights is not significant enough to impact scope performance.

When I bought my Vanguard in 243....I picked up Weaver Bases. Package noted for the 700 and the VG. No problems with them.

When I got the Weatherby Predator, they were out of Weavers so I bought Millet. Never could get a scope to bore sight with them. Bought a Evolution 20MOA 1 piece base and viola'..... scope zeroed up nicely.

Maybe not the proper reply to this thread....but I hope no one else has my problem.

I've had similar questions with my Wannabees. Talley lists separate part numbers for Vanguards and 700s. In a quest for some cheap Talley lightweight one piece rings/bases, I couldn't find any for a Vanguard, but a few for a 700. Unsure of fitment due to the different part numbers, I had a moment of weakness and bought a set of Weaver one piecers off eBay instead. Packaging stated that they will fit a Vanguard, 700, and a few other models (the Mark V may have been one of em). I don't know if the receivers are truly the same in dimensions or if Weaver builds in enough slop to multitask, but that is what I'd found. For the record, those Weavers did get replaced with a set of Talleys once a set were located that catered to my sense of frugalness.

I had a set of Leupold bases of unknown numbers that came on one of my Vanguards. I recently tried them on a Vanguard for my daughters and the rear was waaaay too short. I had the scope at its limit because of this and the resulting parallax + distortion at 200 yards resulted in horrid groups despite great ones at 100 yards.

So, I bought new Burris bases instead, and as expected these allegedly would work with a Rem 700 or a Vanguard. This time however they were too tall, and I had to use -20 in the rear Burris Signature ring and +10 in the front to sight it in near the optical center. The supplied base was just too tall, but thankfully I could accommodate it with the ring adjustment.

The take home message is that you need to always beware of bases that alleged fit a Weatherby and anything else.

Patrick

I have had success with the Remington two piece base, steel sets for the Remington Model 700. The only issue is the length of the action screws which I just replaced. This was on a Japanese Mark V.

Back