Weatherby Mark V 257wm Accumark

GB300wm

Handloader
Jan 2, 2005
I'm thinking on getting one of these rifles, but I never owned a weatherby before. Are they accurate? These rifles are beautiful and I really like the flat 257.

This is all second hand info, BUT, my dad has a Weatherby Accumark in .257 Weatherby that is anything but accurate. I shoots pretty lousy groups, to be honest. Dad was really dissapointed, the Accumark is more expensive and should shoot better. His old standard model in .257 Weatherby shoots better.

Weatherby really just did not want to hear about it, told us we just could not shoot!

In desperation and hope my dad bought a third Weatherby in .257 Weatherby Magnum! It is an Ultralight and shot worse yet!!!! He went to the Weatherby shop when they were Atascadero and they basically did not want to hear about it. He got mad and sent it to Hill Country Accurizing in Texas and they made it into a whole different rifle. With factory ammo that gun is now a 1/2 inch gun. Dad killed 22 wild hogs with it last year with as many shots!!

Another good friend has an Accumark in .257 Weatherby and it would not shoot till he had it recrowned and bedded.

Just what I hear from my dad and friends.

I am a WBY fan. That said I can tell you that the USA made one are a big hit or miss situation. I had some that shot good (accumark amd ultralight) and some (accumark) that shot like crap! Unless I get to shoot it first I will not own a USA made one ever again.
Now the Japs were awesome! Look at todays Vanguards. They shoot great!

I'm worried about the 24" tube of the Vanguard and the 257wm caliber. Can accuracy and proper bullet velocity be achieved in a 24" tube??

GB300wm":1zpzrlhs said:
I'm worried about the 24" tube of the Vanguard and the 257wm caliber. Can accuracy and proper bullet velocity be achieved in a 24" tube??

The 26" tube is better for squeezing all the velocity the 257 Wby can generate. IMHO, I would go with a 26" tube.
BTW, the Remington 700CDL has a 26" barrel.

JD338

I have seen 3400 fps with the 110 AccuBond in a 24". That said I would also prefer a 26"

The Accumark is accurate, Weatherby mark V's are very accurate I know I own them and shoot them and they are out standing.

200yds with a 300Wby Mag .825"
scope.jpg

Same 300Wby at 100yds .324"
IMG_5532.jpg

257Wby mag 100yds
IMG_5645.jpg

Same 257 100yds
IMG_5597.jpg

Same 257 at 200yds 7/8"
IMG_5608.jpg

416 Wby 100yds
jordansbirthday062.jpg

300Wby at 100yds .0095" Water stain from target board early in the morning.
IMG_5607.jpg

I have never owned a Weahterby that did not shoot good and I would not own one if it did not shoot under an inch. I could show you more from others I own even Vanguards. Why do you think they are the only ones who will grauntee accuracy. If there is a problem they will fix it. Easy to put down a Weahterby but I think my rifles send a different message about Weahterby and accuracy.

Very impressive Bullet. I've always heard of weatherby's to be supremely accurate. I'm really considering the 257 accumark with the 26" tube. I also believe weatherby will stand by their rifle, as they offer 1.5 moa out of every box. I also believe that most of the rifles will do better. Weatherby's are not too popular here in the south, but I love the velocity and also the good looks of the accumark.

That is true they do offer a 1.5" guarantee...they better for a $1500 rifle!

After all Tikka offers a 1" guarantee for a $600 rifle.

Remember I am a huge WBY fan...just been really disappointed with their USA make stuff.........

US made recievers are the best that has ever been made by Weatherby and they are the strongest. When switching to US to have them made had to go through some set up changes in production but for the most part they have solved any issues. I own a Tikka in 7mmRem Mag and it will not out shoot my Weatherby's and I do not like their very weak bolt and reciever infact one of the weakest on the market. There is a reason why they are only 600.00. Now I like my Tikka as a shooter because it is a consistent .789" shooter at 100yds but that is also due to the 7mmRem Mag being a very easy cartridge to load and get accuracy from. I am a half inch at the moment in my development of a 257-300Wby loads and that is Velocities over 4100fps and the top so far with under an inch has been with he TSX 4202fps. The Mark V is the perfect reciever for it and this is a rifle that is a factory 257Wby reamed out to 257-300Wby which speaks volumes for their actions an barrels. I Think you will find in all rifle manufacture some problems but by the design the Weatherby is a real accurate rifle and has great cartridges to boot. Now that said I have had problems with Remington rifles that I had to send back but that did not stop me from buying recently their Mod 7 CDL in 350 Rem Mag. I love the Mod 7. Remington. Just some thoughts

GB300wm":1m1p2p3w said:
Very impressive Bullet. I've always heard of weatherby's to be supremely accurate. I'm really considering the 257 accumark with the 26" tube. I also believe weatherby will stand by their rifle, as they offer 1.5 moa out of every box. I also believe that most of the rifles will do better. Weatherby's are not too popular here in the south, but I love the velocity and also the good looks of the accumark.

If you get one I will give you some tips I have learned with my loads for the 257Wby and the Accumark is a great rifle and platform for good shooting when you have your loads in order. 110gr Accubonds and especially the 100gr TSX. Let me know if you do and buy the way I am a southern boy and live in the south and you are right not many down here are that aware of the fine product and rifle that a Weatherby is. I like Ruger, Remington, Mod 70 Winchester, and Weatherby rifles.

I'll keep that in mind Bullet. I can always use some tips, especially with a caliber and rifle that's different than anything that I've had before. I'm an experienced reloader, but I know that weatherby rifles have a lot of freebore and that takes some working with to get the accuracy as good as it can be. I like the challenge though. I'll let you know if I get the gun.

GB300wm":38erq516 said:
I'll keep that in mind Bullet. I can always use some tips, especially with a caliber and rifle that's different than anything that I've had before. I'm an experienced reloader, but I know that weatherby rifles have a lot of freebore and that takes some working with to get the accuracy as good as it can be. I like the challenge though. I'll let you know if I get the gun.

Not at all! That is a misnomer! Since you are a reloader you can develope just as quick as with other rifles and cartridges and it has never presented a problem to me with any of my loads in any of my rifles. Infact the 300wby I found in the third load I tried and the first two were really good. I was referring to the TSX and giving it a good jump so that the TSX would shoot good and provide you with some accuracy. Hope every thing goes well. Let me know how it turns out.

I am telling you, in regard to things that break Weatherby may stand behind their rifles forever, but in regard to accuracy, they do not want to hear about it!

My dad and my buddy packed up their Accumarks that would not shoot and took them over the the Weatherby shop (in Atascadero at the time).
They went to complain about the lousy accuracy and they were told that they just did not know how to shoot and that there were NEVER any complaints about those rifles. Yeah, that is customer service!

Thanks JD. Plenty of interesting reading there. I noticed in the weatherby world that the TSX seems to be the bullet of choice. I wonder if it's the velocity? Maybe Nosler can comopete with their new E-tip in 25 cal. How do you think the accuracy in the Rem LSS will be in the 257 weatherby? It's also a beautiful rifle.

R Flowers":2ax1ey17 said:
I am telling you, in regard to things that break Weatherby may stand behind their rifles forever, but in regard to accuracy, they do not want to hear about it!

My dad and my buddy packed up their Accumarks that would not shoot and took them over the the Weatherby shop (in Atascadero at the time).
They went to complain about the lousy accuracy and they were told that they just did not know how to shoot and that there were NEVER any complaints about those rifles. Yeah, that is customer service!

Interesting that two guys in the same place at the same time packed up identical rifles and took them back for the same reason. I am interested in the shop in Atascadero, was it a service shop with a gunsmith for factory service. If so they are not certified to do accuracy problems, these are sent to the factory. Also, any rifle sent back to Weahterby in my experience has been fixed or replace especially with an accuracy problem. Here is a direct quote from the weatherby factory manager:

"If it won't shoot you need to send it back so we can either replace it or fix it. As another testament to this product line, we have receive very very few of them back because of accuracy issues."

This is what should have been done for those two rifles. Once they are recieved at the factory they are shot to identify the problem to see if it can be fixed or if it needs to be replaced.

I've found my Weatherby Mark V Fibermark to be a bit finicky, but with the right load development it's extremely accurate.

I had really wanted to find a load for the 115 Partition, or 110 AccuBond. However, after countless loads I just couldn't get them to shoot consistently in the rifle.

Working up loads for the 115 Barnes TSX and 117 Grain Sierra Pro-Hunter, I was able to find two loads that will routinely shoot between .5"-1.0" at 100 yards. The Barnes require a couple of fouling shots after using their copper cleaner to regain the accuracy but this load shoots right at 1/2" all day.

Good luck with your .257 Mag...I wouldn't overlook the new Remington as well.
-TB
115GrainTSXLoad.jpg

IMR4831-.257WBYMAG.jpg

Good shooting and I would have to agree, I would not over look the Remington 700 in 257Wby.

Back