Weatherby Rifles

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Now that I have Fotis's attention and a few others here we go :lol:

In the spring I'm going to be in the place to be able to buy one finally. Always wanted one especially in 270 Wby, problem is in left hand they only offer the Deluxe wood stock and the heavy Accumark in that calibre. In this very wet country wood just doesn't work well for a serious hunting gun so it's definitely off the list. Somewhere along the line I'll need to make some kind of a compromise being a lefty.

LH Accumark

50564477247_72ba1b5eaf_c.jpg

It does come in 270 Wby but I'm not sure I would want to carry a rifle that's probably going to be around 10 lbs ready to go. Not totally against it but if I was going to get an Accumark maybe a 340 Wby would be a better choice.

LH Meat Eater Edition

50564477272_1c416599bf_c.jpg

This looks to be a new one that's only offered to lefties, if it came in 270 Bee it would be a no brainer but it doesn't. I like almost everything else about the rifle and it's much lighter than the Accumark. Only comes in 257, 6.5/300 or 300 Wby. I think I would have a 6.5/300 barrel burned out in about 5 years or less so it's probably off the list unless I'm missing something.

Which would you buy and why? Any of them would be useful so they wouldn't be a safe queen. These are the choices:

Accumark 270 Wby -my favourite round but heavy, great for deer and still be good up to moose. Not carrying it for sheep or goat

Accumark 340 Wby - heavy but doesn't get any better for open country moose or elk as long as you don't have to pack it far.

M.E. Edition 257 Wby - fairly light and great for deer, sheep and goats, low recoil and probably better barrel life than the 6.5/300.

M.E. Edition 300 Wby - light and can do everything from deer to moose, probably the most sensible choice out of any of them

Any thought on all this would be welcome, thanks.

Awesome rifle gerry!

I love Weatherby rifles. They fit me like no other rifle ever has.
For me, the weight doesn't matter as much as it helping to reduce recoil.
I just bought one off Gun Broker, and am still waiting to get it in. It's supposedly a Mark V Special Synthetic 2-tone in .300 Win Mag.
I believe that the Weatherby rifles are every bit worth the money you spend.
You can't go wrong with a 270 Bee.
A 340 Bee would be a crusher on anything on this continent.
I think, just as you have touched on, that the 300 Bee is probably a very sensible compromise for anything you want to hunt.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

The back country comes in a couple LH models. Seems like a good light rifle for packing around. I’d be a customer if they had one in a 5 lug but so far all the lefties are 6 lug magnums. I think.

Try or order a bell and Carlson stock or go to the weatherby pro shop. They do great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new Accumark is redesigned to be almost like a sporter. Very svelte. Talked my buddy into one and we just got it 3 days ago. A 340 Bee....He LOVES it. Very thin forearm, palm swell, and light. Go play with one before dismissing it.

Oh! Did I mention it? All WYOMING bees get Criterion match grade barrels!

Gerry,
Weatherby did offer the 270 Wby in the LH Ultralight Accumark at one time...I had the first one brought into Canada when first introduced.
If the newer models don't work for you, you may be able to search and find one of those Ultralights.

HAWKEYESATX":3vau2pwn said:
Awesome rifle gerry!

I love Weatherby rifles. They fit me like no other rifle ever has.
For me, the weight doesn't matter as much as it helping to reduce recoil.
I just bought one off Gun Broker, and am still waiting to get it in. It's supposedly a Mark V Special Synthetic 2-tone in .300 Win Mag.
I believe that the Weatherby rifles are every bit worth the money you spend.
You can't go wrong with a 270 Bee.
A 340 Bee would be a crusher on anything on this continent.
I think, just as you have touched on, that the 300 Bee is probably a very sensible compromise for anything you want to hunt.

Hawk

Thanks Hawk, will love to see what yours looks like when you get it, you're on a roll! I have only handled a few but the monte carlo stock fits me very well too.

gbflyer":3vau2pwn said:
The back country comes in a couple LH models. Seems like a good light rifle for packing around. I’d be a customer if they had one in a 5 lug but so far all the lefties are 6 lug magnums. I think.

I looked at those too and they are pretty sweet as well, I asked them last year about lefties in the standard action you mentioned like their new 6.5 RPM and it sounded like it is in their long term plans just kind of expensive to tool up for the LH action. They also offer the new LT version that looks quite good too.

mjcmichigan":3vau2pwn said:
Try or order a bell and Carlson stock or go to the weatherby pro shop. They do great work!

I did look at the custom shop and to get some rounds like the 270 and 340 Bee actually come from there with a $100.00 upcharge over their standard rounds mentioned earlier and a 90 day wait.

FOTIS":3vau2pwn said:
The new Accumark is redesigned to be almost like a sporter. Very svelte. Talked my buddy into one and we just got it 3 days ago. A 340 Bee....He LOVES it. Very thin forearm, palm swell, and light. Go play with one before dismissing it.

Oh! Did I mention it? All WYOMING bees get Criterion match grade barrels!

That's very interesting news all that sounds very good. I'll have to see if I can find one of the new ones for a look. When it comes to Weatherby you are the man so I will definitely take that into consideration. The honest truth my absolute favourite is the 270 followed by the 7mm and 340, I have a bit of experience with a 300 and respect it a lot too, just like the others more. Sucks to be a gun nut and a left hander, not nearly as many choices for us out there :lol:

Blkram":1yw0ptd4 said:
Gerry,
Weatherby did offer the 270 Wby in the LH Ultralight Accumark at one time...I had the first one brought into Canada when first introduced.
If the newer models don't work for you, you may be able to search and find one of those Ultralights.

Should have bought one years ago when I had the chance but couldn't swing it, found a 7mm a few years ago too. I believe the newer ones are better on average though .

Whatever you get, get a 270 Wby Gerry. That’s what you want so if it cost 100 bucks more to have exactly what you want it’s money well spent. For that country you’re in, the lighter the better in my book.

I was worried about the weight more than anything else Scotty. If it ends up heavier than I like I'll just get a lightweight rifle as well. An Accumark 270 Wby and a light Tikka 270 WSM (which has always been in my plans and still is) covers a lot of different types of hunting ;) Being a lefty I'll need to compromise on something somewhere, just the way it is.

I have never liked 26" barrels but for a more specialized rifle like an Accumark in 270 Wby I can overlook that. Another nice thing about it is there is no need at all for a muzzle brake on something that will be mild when it comes to recoil. I have some 140 gr Trophy Bonded Tipped that my recently departed 270 Win hated that might be nice at around 3300 fps. Will definitely run my two favourite 277 bullets, the 150 gr Ballistic Tip and 160 gr Partition. Should be able to get them to around 3200 fps for the 150's and 3100 fps for the 160's I'm guessing. One bullet that would be extremely useful here I would think would be the 180 gr Woodleigh so I'm sure I'll try a box of them, might be able to get them about the same speed as a 180 in a 300 WSM.

In the 270 WSM I'll stick with 150's most likely and I have a pile of them here of different types just waiting to be used.

I would have to 2nd Scotty's post.
A 150 gr AB, or 150 gr PT will take anything you can hunt on this continent.
They're stout, and velocities are plentiful for them to expand even at distances.
I'd go with the AB, because of the boat tail, and higher BC. Shoots plenty flat, and takes a lot of guess work out of distance shooting.
That's my 2 cents worth.

Hawk

I was going to mention it earlier but yes that 150 gr AccuBond is just too good not to try in any 270 cal rifle. Could do almost anything from near to far to be honest.

gerry":15d49sq4 said:
I was going to mention it earlier but yes that 150 gr AccuBond is just too good not to try in any 270 cal rifle. Could do almost anything from near to far to be honest.
Agreed!

Hawk

What my previous 270 Bee shot like. This was an ultralight weight 270 Bee MK V

PXwNSxl.jpg

a member emailed me and ask me to respond

Gerry, my husband has several Weatherby's, but to zero in on the ones your talking about and/or thinking about, and assuming this might be a rifle for goat to moose, possibly even for bear in defense of life and property, since you guys can no longer hunt the brownies.

He would just get the 300. Although he has a 270 and 300, he personally prefers the 340 and you might look at it unless you just dont want anything that large. Actually he has 6 Weatherby's and the 340 is his favorite caliber.

If you can get a left handed 270 and that is what you want you should get it. But --you can get a new 300 in a left hand model and I think it will do everything you want a rifle to do. And who knows maybe you will travel to The Yukon and hunt the brownies one more time some day and if you do the 300 will handle them.

Thankful Otter":1tps2mxb said:

Gerry, my husband has several Weatherby's, but to zero in on the ones your talking about and/or thinking about, and assuming this might be a rifle for goat to moose, possibly even for bear in defense of life and property, since you guys can no longer hunt the brownies.

He would just get the 300. Although he has a 270 and 300, he personally prefers the 340 and you might look at it unless you just dont want anything that large. Actually he has 6 Weatherby's and the 340 is his favorite caliber.

If you can get a left handed 270 and that is what you want you should get it. But --you can get a new 300 in a left hand model and I think it will do everything you want a rifle to do. And who knows maybe you will travel to The Yukon and hunt the brownies one more time some day and if you do the 300 will handle them.
Very well said!
Can't get better advice than that!

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":1xl41vuq said:
Thankful Otter":1xl41vuq said:

Very well said!
Can't get better advice than that!

Hawk

thank you. For hunting in the north country, it is a very nice caliber. and weatherby makes very nice rifles. some will argue that is is a lot of gun for animals like Caribou, goat, sheep and Wolf, but in this part of the world I would prefer to have too much gun as apposed to not enough. You can push the 150, which is what you guys are talking about, out a bit further, but the trajectory of the 250 in the 340 is not copped liver at 300 to 325 yards and obviously hits a bit harder. But it is Gerry's rifle, money and choice.

I am a lefty as well and feel your pain. I have a few left handed rifles but most of them are right handed.
It seems all the left handed rifles a company puts out are chambered in plain vanilla calibers but the right handed ones have every caliber imaginable.
I’ve talked with gun reps at SHOT Show and always ask for a better selection in calibers for us lefties. Always the same old song “we’ll look into it”.

The problem with all you "lefties" is that you do everything wrong!!!!

TOTALLY JOKING HERE!!

I agree, they should offer all the caliber selections that a right handed rifle person can get.

Hawk

Back