Weatherby Rifles

Unfortunately we lefties are a minority so it isn't always cost effective for a manufacturer to be able to offer a lot for us. Since Weatherby has a custom shop and are charging accordingly already I don't understand why they just can't screw on a barrel from any calibre they already offer.

I hear you Thankful Otter on the 340 Bee and I do like it better than the 300 personally. Leaning strongly towards the Accumark 270 Wby but haven't ruled out the nice Meat Eater edition 300 Wby yet.

I agree with you on the fact that they already have the barrel in the caliber. Takes very little to screw it on a left handed action. Not like they have to re tool to build a left handed action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A point to ponder...

Us lefties are in our right minds! LOL

Always tougher to find what we are looking for, if it is even available...and as I have done several times now, we are often forced to build what we are looking for. Adds to the adventure, not mention our pride in ownership in owning one of a kind firearms...and we won't even mention the price tag! LOL

Cheyenne ask me to rely to you Gerry, and off the top of my head

Sako makes nice rifles and left handed models but not in Weatherby calibers. The 85 Finn II are nice however--left handed, 270 win and 300 win--6 and 7 pounds--22 and 24 inch barrel ( you mentioned a shorter barrel wish than the Weatherby 26 inch )

You might also look for a used Ruger # 1, they made both 270 wea and 300 wea-- obviously a short barrel

Both High Country in the states and Hagn in Canada will make you one in the calibers of your choice and left handed. However with the Weatherby caliber the extra barrel length is not all negative.

Also dont discount the WSM's if you want to shorten your overall rifle dimensions, left handed options with Weatherby distances

Also, are you sure Weatherby wont do a left handed 270 Weatherby for you in their custom shop ?

Weatherby will only chamber the 270 Wby in the Deluxe and Accumark and both are actually from the custom shop already, they don't offer it as a standard chambering.

I thought about a Ruger No.1 but really want a Weatherby rifle much more. I had a Sako but probably won't have another one, I don't like the way the strange way they take care of the bedding and recoil lug which makes it tough to properly bed the thing. My wood stocked rifle was shifting around and causing issues. Thought about a McMillan stock or selling it for a Finnlight II but in the end ended up with a Christensen Arms Mesa 7mm Rem Mag (unfired as of now still). The Tikka T3x is a favourite rifle as well and really like the WSM options in them. Lot's of custom options available for a Tikka too.

Gerry,

I saw on Guns America that there was a synthetic stocked Weatherby Mark V left handed .340 Bee.
There was another one that was a left handed one, and it may have actually been a .270 Bee in left hand.
Have you looked at Guns International as well? Might be some options there too.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Thank you Cheyenne and April for your wealth of knowledge! Great information right there.

Gerry, as already suggested, pick the one you want. They are all good choices. And FWIW, the 340 Wby isn't too big for deer. I use a 338 RUM 250 gr AB for crop damage deer hunting and they rarely take a step. :)

JD338

Thank you Jim

I had a short window of time to respond earlier

Gerry.

using your own words about the 300 Wea. "probably the most sensiable of any of them"

I agree.

But if you want a 270 Wea, in a Weatherby Rifle, just get it. I would, life is too short. It is not the only rifle you own, so use it only on trips that you believe, will not be long hauls ( weight wise ).
Or get into some kind of excersise program that will help you handle the extra weight better. That would be a win-win. Improve your health and carry the gun you want to hunt with.

I own a 257 Weatherby, which my granddaughter now uses for Coues deer hunting. I would think a 257 would work just fine for Caribou, Deer, Wolf, Goat, Sheep in your area. That is a pretty good group of animals and the M.E. Edition 257 Weatherby IS a nice rifle.

But it is not the 270 which you want.

To be honest, if a 270 Wea is what you want, any of these other calibers and rifles, as nice as they are, will not scratch that itch for the 270. Buy the 270 Weatherby and dont look back. Do a few more curls each day, spend more time on a stationary bike and then hunt with the rifle and caliber you want !

Cheyenne is not wrong about the 340, but how many brown bears, white bears, muskox, walrus, bison, moose do you hunt and if you do, I bet you already have a caliber that will handle those brutes .

Pull the trigger--so to speak, order the rifle you know you want and dont look back. Enjoy

I was finally able to have a good conversation with my husband about your wanting a Weatherby rifle. If we understood your original post it is your first one and may possibly be your only one. You also want it to be chambered in one of their calibers and one they make for a left handed individual.

He would get the M.E. 300 Wea.. His words: There is nothing the 300Wea can not hunt, in the world, excluding DG in Africa and only then because it does not reach their minimum rifle and joules requirements to do so. The 300, 180 gr has the same trajectory as a 270, 150 and more impact when it gets there, without the recoil of the 340. The 300 will handle all the "brutes" April mentioned just fine. I shot everything on her list with a 30-06.
He recommends you get the 300, if it is going to be your only Weatherby rifle and caliber. It is a great caliber, and that model is a good one. Last but not least you can eliminate the pre hunt training that has been mentioned by purchasing the M.E. model. JD338, I also thank you, but you might be the majority of one. Gerry, we have had a few people show up in The Territories with a "lets ban grizzly hunting" dialog, but they are finding those of us in the far north to be a bit of a different breed of people ( no pun intended ) than the folks they were able to sell it to in Vancouver/Victoria. We do still have some convincing to do that it is the logging of old forests that is th enemy of the Caribou, more than the Wolf

Europe":zs9a4yxb said:
But if you want a 270 Wea, in a Weatherby Rifle, just get it. I would, life is too short. It is not the only rifle you own, so use it only on trips that you believe, will not be long hauls ( weight wise ).

To be honest, if a 270 Wea is what you want, any of these other calibers and rifles, as nice as they are, will not scratch that itch for the 270. Buy the 270 Weatherby and dont look back.

Pull the trigger--so to speak, order the rifle you know you want and dont look back. Enjoy

Perfectly said April!

Gerry,
Congratulations on your new 270 Weatherby! :)

JD338

Yep It's got to be the 270 Weatherby, been wanting one since I was a kid and I'm 51 now. I have enjoyed similar rounds like the 264 WM, 7mm RM and of course the good old 270 Win so It's time for the Bee ;)

For those advocating for the 300 and 340 Wby you make great points, thankfully I have rifles that will basically fill those same roles now and this won't be the last gun either :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-PtLnji3Qg

I found this MK V Accumark 270 Bee review on YouTube and have a couple of scopes that will basically do the same thing. It has enough power to do anything I would want with it and then some.

You'll like the 270 Wby!
I sure enjoyed mine while I had them (the LH Ultralight Accumark and a Browning B-78 rechambered to 270 Wby).
Accurate, modest recoil and flat shooting!
And if you want to lighten the bullets to 100 gr, it will outshoot the 257 Wby by almost 200 fps.

I'll probably never shoot 100's but looking at Nosler's data 3700 fps seems doable which is screaming. Imagine some of the 85 gr mono bullets meant for the 6.8 SPC could come close to breaking 4000 fps which is crazy. I'm usually a heavy bullet guy but a 129 gr LRX or 130 gr E Tip at around 3400 fps would be a very useful load even on moose. I know DrMike has taken moose, elk and smaller game with his 270 WSM and the 130 gr E Tip at a bit less speed.

The Browning B-78 would push the 100 gr TTSX to 3800 fps in its 28" barrel, and I was still 2 grains from max, and getting 1" groups at 100 yards. At 500 yards, that bullet was still carrying 1900 ft-lbs of energy.

Another load with the 90 gr Sierra HP was probably pushing close to 4000 fps and would shoot tiny one hole groups (never did chrony that load developed by my friend when he had the rifle).

I bought the 6.8 AB to load, but never did get around to trying it. Was curious to see if it would stand up to the velocity.

At the end of the day, bullet placement is still the key!

I think you will be very happy with the .270 Weatherby Mag and a friend I worked with shot a very large Black Bear like 600lbs and the exit hole on a broad side shot in the ribs was the size of my fist. Yes I was impressed when I witnessed this. In full disclosure the Bear did run after the shot just before dark but we did find it not very far in the shot the next morning. Yes the .270 Weatherby Mag will do. Enjoy

Back