weatherby vanguard

RogueRiver

Handloader
Mar 13, 2005
I saw one in a shop new for 379.00 black synthic stock, in 300 weatherby, I was thinking about it for a back up rifle for my whelen if i ever ended up in more open areas.I also was thinking of letting my dad use it for elk, so his old winchester 54 -06 could have a rest.
Just wondering what people thought of the rifles and caliber. I reload so the cost of the shells is not a concern.

I am a Remington guy but for $379, you alomost can't go wrong to try it out.
The 300 Wby is a great all around caliber. Once you get past the initial cost of brass, not much difference what you load. The 180 gr AB would be a perfect all around bullet. If you bump up to the 200 gr AB, you now have a true long range elk hammer.

I would say, go get the rifle and put a quality glass scope on it and enjoy!
The Leupold VXIII 4.5x14 would be an excellent choice.

JD338

I have one. I changed out the tupperware stock with a Bell & Carlson Medalist. The Medalist fits better and comes with a Decelerator pad. Added a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40. Trigger is owner adjustable. Gun shoots great. Best deal out there for a magnumb rifle.

I know nothing about the caliber, but I have a Vanguard (stainless version) in 300 Win Mag. I have not shot any hand loads in it yet, but it does well with factory loads. Nice smooth action, but I didn't care for the trigger, so I replaced it with a Timney. Other than that....I think it is a great value. I think mine was about the same price as yours (or close). The rifle is well balanced and not at all unpleasant to shoot. I think it would make a great gun for you or your Dad.

Blaine

I bought one of those Sub-MOA vanguards in .338 and it is a shooter! My friend has the regular vanguard that you are talking about in .300 wby and it is darned near as accurate as my Sub-MOA and his cost $300 less!

I have one of the very first Vanguards/Weatherbys made. It's called the VGX Deluxe in 7mm Rem. It was finished exacltly like the Mark V, both stock and metal. It has always grouped better than average.

The trigger had some creep, so I swithched it out with a Timney, with a three position safety. I eventually went with a Bell and Carlson stock with the aluminum bedding block. I glass bedded the lug and tang myself. It's topped with a Weaver Grand Slam, 3.5X9. Both the magazine well and the chamber are very long, so you are not limited with your OAL. This rifle can shoot incredible groups, sometimes even touching.

Not that looks matter, but over the years I have had several people ask about the rifle, what make, caliber etc. With the BC stock it's really a looker and stands out from the general issue.

My Vanguard has become a favorite of mine. I won't part with it. It is supurb in every respect. This rifle is a bargin at the going price. And remember Weatherby puts thier name on it for a good reason. The action is made by Howa, who have been in the business a long time. Really, you can't go wrong.

Regards,

The first rifle I ever bought for myself was a Vanguard VGX Deluxe in 300wby. I saw it on a display rack in Walmart ( believe it or not) after I got home from boot camp. I mounted a 3-9X Leupold vx-II on it and it has been with me ever since. The rifle shoots extremely well with 180 grain partitions. If you are looking for and inexpensive rifle that flat out shoots you usually dont go wrong with the Weatherby vanguards. By the way the have an article in August issue of Petersen's Hunting magazine about 5 Affordable rifles. The Vanguard was one of these and it was the most accurate rifle tested.

JD338":y1l19f0v said:
I am a Remington guy but for $379, you alomost can't go wrong to try it out.
JD338

Yup and guarranteed accuracy to boot!

Blaine":3vitqy1a said:
I know nothing about the caliber, but I have a Vanguard (stainless version) in 300 Win Mag. Other than that....I think it is a great value. I think mine was about the same price as yours (or close). The rifle is well balanced and not at all unpleasant to shoot. I think it would make a great gun for you or your Dad.

Blaine

I agree with Blaine. Took mine hog hunting today.

Back