weathrby vangaurd

Yes. I've had a couple...solid machine work and good shooters. Basically a Howa, and they know how to build a rifle.

Ive messed with 2 series 2 both in 257 WBY , 1 sporter (wood stock/blue) 1 ss/syn. The series 2 are guaranteed to shoot sub MOA and both easily did . I took the sporter 3 days in a row over to where I shoot , each day I shot a 3 shot group with 100 gr. TTSX at a target at 240 Yards. Later on I took the targets and superimposed them over each other and the 9 shot group was less than 2" . The best group I got was with the Sporter it was 1.25" @ 240. The SS/Syn is really good too , the last couple times I shot it before our Mule Deer hunt it was easily grouping under 2" at 250 yards (we move the target back). Neither rifle was touched , that's right out of the box. I hear some folks don't like the trigger but I love it , it breaks very clean on both rifles. The rifle looks and feels well made, very solid . The stock feels a little different if your use to a classic stock and the rifle does feel heavy. The only thing I don't care for is the safety lever it's very cheap looking and feeling and a bit rough to work. The SS/SYN is mine , I shot one test load of 100gr. Hornady spire points ,which for some insane reason they discontinued, the load was about 1 gr. under max . Only 3 rounds were loaded the group was .5 @ 100 yards. 117 gr Bergers shoot around .75 @ 100 yards and the TTSX 100 gr. run about .5 . I only shot 100 gr. TTSX out of the Sporter and the only bullet I shot beyond 100 yards in either gun was the TTSX. One thing I will add , The sporter is my friends when he got it he bought 2 boxes of WBY ammo cost him over $200.00 1 box 80 gr. TTSX and 1 of 115 TSX , the gun was spraying them all over my buddy was getting pretty pissed that his gun guaranteed to shoot 1" was shooting so bad. That's how I got involved I took them and put them on a concentricity gauge they were running out horribly . My buddy was so pissed we pulled what was left of the bullets and loaded our own . So if you happen to Choose the 257 cut straight to the reloading or at least make sure the ammo is straight. Hope this helps KH

Sporter at 240 yards

Very impressive for out-of-the-box. Groups such as that give a shooter confidence, and they sell rifles.

The one I owned was a shooter after I changed the stock and trigger in the older S1 300Wby. The original plastic stock was too flimsy for the big 300 and a B&C Medalist helped it a lot along with the Timney trigger I installed. The action was as slick as glass and the rifle loved 180gr Hornady SP bullets over some 4831 and 4350. It would shoot 3/4" groups as long as you could shoot it. I sold it because I didn't like the felt recoil pulse and it slapped me in the face.

The 30-06 I have in the Sporter model is a shooter as well.

The target from my 180ET load:

The target from my 160AB load:

I have several of them. Each one will easily shoot sub-MOA with the factory load it likes. Most have been restocked in a B&C Medalist and triggers swapped out as well. I think they shoot as well as any factory rifle can.

I've had five of them, still have one in 243.
All solid one MOA or less rifles .
One was a 300 Bee. It shot Weatherby ammo with 180 Hornady bullets so well i never bothered reloading for it.

I've had a 7mm Rem and 300 Wby, both shot awesome. Little brother has a 257 Wby that is so accurate it's silly. Can't beat them for the money.

I've had Vanguards in 22-250 & 243W both shot very well. Presently own Vanguard 2s in a 223 and another 243W and they both shoot very well. The 223 is in a new stock and is capable of 1 ragged hole for 3 shots if I'm doing my part (I wish it was more often). Reliability is on par with others. So to ask "Are these rifles any good" ... Sure, accurate and reliable.

I have two. Both shoot very well.
One shot well enough that over time playing around with it I cooked the barrel. It is currently being rebarreled. (by the way, the barrel wasn't their fault it was just use, 257 Wby running typical loads at around 1350 or so it started dropping off in accuaracy a little, I like to shoot :grin: )

Currently have 2 of the Vanguard S2. One in 7mm-08 and one in 243. The 7mm-08 likes the rather inexpensive Prvi Parvati 140 grain bullets putting 5 inside .75". With the reloads, it squeezes 5 shots into .5".
The 243 is the shooter of the two. Two loads - 90gr AB and 85gr Partition print to the same POI at 100 yards and are only .75" apart at 200 yards. Groups with them both are sub-.5" at 100. I took the 90 gr AB out to 500 and shot a sub-2" 4-shot group.

I've had 2 vanguards over the years in 338 win mag and 300wsm, both were very accurate right out of the box, pretty darn good rifle for the money, I should have kept the 338 win mag though, it had a beautiful laminated stock :roll:

Man, those are some accurate irons. Nice looking too.

JD338

I got a Vanguard S2 in 270 Win for Christmas (y) . Topped it with a Nikon Prostaff 3.5-12 BDC that I had. Can't wait to get it out to the range and start the break in process.
Looks and feels like a top quality firearm.

Back