Well we’re on paper

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
Got to the bench with the 308.
I should have left the scope dialed where the previous owner had it but I didn’t and it was very low at 10 yards.
Over compensated when I went to 50 but got one into the bull so I’m ready to try the 100 yard range.

I could use some help with a situation I have with this one.
The scope is a 30mm tube. I measured it with calipers and it is dead on at 30mm.
The rings are Ruger 30mm high (#5 and #6).
When I mounted the scope, the gap between the upper and lower rings appears to be completely closed on both sides. I’ve never had this happen with any other scopes I have mounted.
The scope appears to be tight but I don’t know if this is an acceptable situation.
I guess time will tell if the scope moves but thought I might be able to get some advise here.
Would a shim in the rings be a possible solution?
4980ce09f51d83fcb24f4267f5bd040e.jpg

cd089d7ed88a0d0dcdf27f93d43ad6ed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to go to a shim on my Rem 600. Fixed the 'shooting too low' glitch w/o a hitch.
Just remember to shim the bottom of the front ring if you're shooting low, back ring if high.
What did I use? Just a strip of foil folded over a couple of times.

Good luck

Gunner46":1i2hs3sb said:
I had to go to a shim on my Rem 600. Fixed the 'shooting too low' glitch w/o a hitch.
Just remember to shim the bottom of the front ring if you're shooting low, back ring if high.

Good luck
Wouldn’t shimming the back ring make it shoot higher?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alderman":35e7tp5i said:
Gunner46":35e7tp5i said:

Good luck
Wouldn’t shimming the back ring make it shoot higher?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nope. If you put the shim on the bottom to give some can’t you essentially lower the POI. it’s what a canted rail does. Higher in the rear than the front.

I have used brass shim stock, just thin pieces of brass. Brownell's used to sell it but haven't looked for awhile. Folded foil will work just as well. Dan.

Back