Western states tags?

Dwh7271

Handloader
Nov 18, 2013
My schedule is pretty uncertain for the fall. Almost impossible to preschedule.
Are there states that offer any opportunities for over the counter tags, unsold tags and the like?
Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Sure. I don't follow all that many western states, but stay pretty well plugged into Washington and Wyoming. Must have a thing for W's?

Washington - non-resident tags are expensive, but you can buy over-the-counter license and tags for bear, elk and deer. We hunt whitetail, blacktail and mule deer here. It's not too late to put in for the "special" tags either: moose, bighorn sheep, and mountain goat, but the odds of drawing one of those "once in a lifetime" tags are very poor.

Wyoming - I believe all the non-resident applications are closed for now. Wyoming wants non-resident elk tags in January, and the deer & pronghorn tags just a couple of months later. I'm eagerly awaiting the draw results for mule deer & pronghorn...

Wyoming does have "leftover" tags avail late in the year, but I'm not familiar with that process having never used it.

Hope this helps a little. Guy

Dewey,

What are you interested in hunting? WY has left over antelope tags but its strongly advised to have a spot to hunt lined up. A speed goat hunt would be a great way to test out your 257 Wby.

JD338

Been hearing a number of good units in Idaho will have over the counter tags, probably worth looking into. Oregon is a draw for mule deer and elk, applications close on the 15 of May. My brother-in-law has also advised over the counter cow elk tags will be available south of Livingston Mt. But most of that area will be private. Oregon blacktail deer hunting is an otc tag with a lot of access.
Baltz has indicated the fort rock unit does not tag out, good mule deer but tough hunting. You still have to apply by May 15

West side of Oregon (west of the Cascade mt. range) has over the counter tags for elk, black tail deer, and fall bear. It's mostly timber company land, but we have plenty of public land on the west side of the state as well. East side of Oregon is mostly a draw, with much more limited non-res tags.

May 15th is the deadline to apply for the draws, but the OTC tags can be bought up to right before the season opens in the fall.

Guy, I like W's also.
Wyoming is one I was looking at.
JD, speed goats would be fun and the 257 should be the right medicine. That is one to consider. Are there listings anywhere on access or do you go through a plat and call people?
SC, thanks for the Mont and Idaho info. Worth looking into.
NWBlacktail, might call out there and get the info from the source. Thanks!
Thanks to all of you. As I mentioned, any info is better than what I had.

Colorado has a preference system on draw hunts as where NM does not and we also have no OTC hunts, few years ago the started making everyone do online tag system and full payment due when ya applied for every hunt? NM has some strange rules but some cool places to hunt and worth every dime as we are noted for Large Elk and Speed Goats but not state wide! I have them tied up in certain units :lol: that and they know private land very well :roll: Utah is kinda hard to get drawn as is Arizona but Montana,Colorado and NM are not too bad and Colorado has a lotta choices for hunts but be aware of the new laws passed recently and bring your easy widers :oops: I mean you're Hunters Education Certificate as you need it when u apply online!

Dwh7271":130ddhsd said:
My schedule is pretty uncertain for the fall. Almost impossible to preschedule.
Are there states that offer any opportunities for over the counter tags, unsold tags and the like?
Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/home.aspx

...take a look @ their "Hunt Planner", most of the area offices will have a biologist or warden that can answer questions you may have, but if you don't mind a cow there are usually quite a few leftover tags in Units 56, 58, 59, 61, 62. Cow seasons run from Oct 1 or Nov 1- Dec 23, which would give you a fairly good window to fit something in. Most of Area 61 is on a large ranch & is really a depredation hunt where the G&F takes you out, points you @ the elk, counts generally run over 2K, & will come out & help you pack your elk back to your rig...

I am putting in for the Oregon Mt Emily bull tag and 2nd choice spike.. That is about all I can hope for this Fall. I have a move looming on the horizon, so I may not even get to hunt, unless lightning strikes and I drew the coveted bull tag... Then, I would sell everything to make it to OR!

As gene says Wyoming offers left over tags for sale, on line somewhere around the 7th of July. The "reduced" cow tag is a bargain and has a long season. Oregon as already pointed out, has several OTC opportunity's, both east and west side, but seasons are short. Good luck

I'm not sure what the numbers will be like, but it seems in the recent past, Montana has had leftover Elk tags every year, which they then provide on a first-come, first-served basis. Not cheap, at almost a grand, and I'm not sure what sort of options you'd have on particular units, but the tags will very likely be available. Might be worth checking out.

Man, I love this place.
Ask a question and get lots of answers and ideas.
Thanks VERY much!
I'm going to contact these places and people and see what could be done.
You guys are great! :grin:

I am certain once you settle on a state you'll be able to get a lot of good info from this site. Good luck. I am betting my 18 preference points on the Walla Walla unit for elk, Owyhee and Beulah for deer. (Eastern Oregon)

Lots of leftover coues tags available, most years, in Arizona. You still have time to enter the draw too as that doesn't close until June.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

SJB358":2c7cu3id said:
I am putting in for the Oregon Mt Emily bull tag and 2nd choice spike.. That is about all I can hope for this Fall. I have a move looming on the horizon, so I may not even get to hunt, unless lightning strikes and I drew the coveted bull tag... Then, I would sell everything to make it to OR!

Scotty, Mt Emily is a good area. My BIL hunts a little south of there (bowhunting) and he says Mt Emily is a good draw.

Back