Wet tumbling

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
My stainless steel pins arrived yesterday so I gave the wet tumbler a quick try out. I had some tarnished 243 brass and a few nasty 9mm brass that I dug up out of the yard.
I only had time to tumble for 1 1/2 hours last night.
The 243 brass came out nice and shiny.
The 9mm brass, while not returning to its bright luster, came out nice and clean an could probably be loaded if I were desperate for brass.
Getting the pins out of the little 243 necks took a little time.
An hour in the dehydrator and everything was nice and dry.
Lessons learned: Don't use so much soap. A magnet sure came in handy.
Would be nice to put a timer on the tumbler. The pins are a lot smaller than I anticipated. Even with a strainer, a few got through to the bowl I was using for rinsing.
b0fe9530c11c70d873e946e0d74fcf1f.jpg

c41db4b89aa7d5200fb3fee2e0d0db9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience is pretty much as you observed. A magnet is a necessity. I have found that tipping the case under the rinse water and gently shaking removes almost all the pins.

I'm thinking a larger caliber case may drop the pins easier and with pistol brass may not be an issue to depin.

Alderman":27sxdq21 said:
I'm thinking a larger caliber case may drop the pins easier and with pistol brass may not being an issue to depin.

You are correct in this assessment. I do find that the pins fall out readily when I hold the case under the rinse water and shake them from side-to-side. It is a non-issue on most larger mouths. Even in the .280 and .284, pins can attempt to hide in the interior of the case. It does merit watching. The clean-up of the case is so superior that I tolerate just a little trouble, however.

Back