What Are Your Most Accurate Sporting Hunting Rifles

My current light but accurate champion is my NULA .30-'06.

I also have a R#1B in 6mm Rem that is very accurate, but weighs more than I consider light. I have a couple of custom rifles based on Rem actions that shoot too (6.5-'06 and .280 Rem).

jim

Well this rifle is no sporter, but it's the first one I grab come opening day. It's a straight factory Model 70 Laredo LRH chambered for 300 Winchester Magnum! The only modification I did was to adjust the trigger down to a pound and a half. At 12.5 lbs, It's a bitch to haul around chasing Bambi. But the rifle balance well and is extremely accurate. Where I hunt here in Kali, most of the shot are long range cross canyon shot. Sometimes it's just impossible to get close. The rifle weight is a plus when taking those long shot! so I don't let it bother me. I do however carry it in a case mounted in my bike trailer on my way to our camp 8 miles inland.

IMGP2360.jpg

Here's my trailer set up

IMGP3849.jpg

i have a 1977 winchester model 70 push feed 243 winchester. it is very consistant with 85gr sierras and h414. as an out of the box gun with nothing done to it but bedding and free floating it. it will always shoot under 1" at 100yds. too bad it weighs over 8lbs. i have a pacnor barreled whitworth 7mm rem mag. it can shoot under 1" groups at 300yds if you shoot 2 shot groups then let it cool completely. but the rifle i'm actually using for hunting big game, is my 20" barrel 300 win mag vangard with 2.8x10x44 aetec, carbilite stock, claw slinged rifle. shooting 180gr etips with 80gr of h1000 for 2890fps and 1 1/2" 300yd groups. my cheat sheet reads 300yd zero, -8" at 400, -12" at 450, -18" at 500, -24" at 550.

im no expert shooter, being a teenager and all, but my tc encore in 308win is simply awesome
at 100 yards, its a cloverleaf group, 200 yards is 1.5" and at 300 yards i can hit a 9" gong almost every time,in a good shooters hands, im sure it would do much, much better :)

I have a model 700 Rem in .270 that make them all touch at 100 with 140 gr ballistic tips at 2940 fps. The heck of it is I've never used it to hunt with yet! I just bought a Savage weather warrior for cheap this spring and it shoots right out of the box, looks cheap but shoots great (22-250). Definitely not the model 70 stainless classic in 300 wby.

HunterJim":3mzwfwdr said:
Desert Fox,

What are the details on your bike and trailer, please and thank you?...jim

Hunter Jim,

I build 5 of these trailer for me and my hunting buddies using a 3/4" steel tubing. It weigh about 25 lbs. un-loaded. It's can carry more than two hundred lbs. of cargo. It is also collapsible for ease in transporting to and from our hunting camp.

Here's some more picture of the trailer.

IMGP3844.jpg

IMGP3843.jpg

IMGP3842.jpg

IMGP3845.jpg

bullet,

Here is a sporting rifle that fits your weight category-
1895GuideGun45-70.jpg

45-70300grRemJHP669.jpg

JD338

For me it is my Sako 75 in 280. But I am hoping my 7m-08 will match it when I get it back from Hill Country.

Long

All of my rifles (Sako 85) shoot equally well and will print "minute of pig", "minute of buffalo" or "minute of dog" from any shooting position and any reasonable distance. As far as paper targets go, the accuracy is around 0.5-0.7in 5 shot groups at 100yds. IMO, paper accuracy is somewhat academic for field use. I don't get to carry a bench around with me and most of my shooting is from a standing position, so accuracy is down to the human element... hence the "minute of pig".

Only one of my rifles weighs in near 7.5lbs (25-06 Finnlight) and all others are around 9-10lbs with their heavier barrels (Stainless varminters with 20" & 24" barrels) and without optics, but I have no problem carrying any one of them (with a decent sling) and a light pack for a couple of days at a time.

The weight of my pack makes a bigger difference to me than the weight of my rifle. It is far to easy to stuff excess junk that I don't really need into the pack.

Cheers

I have a Pre 64 Winchester featherweight in .308 win that will shoot 1/2" groups.I also have a Heym mannlicher 7X57 that will shoot around 3/4"
A Browning Hi Wall traditional hunter in .38/55 that will shoot around 1/2"

Wife's Tikka in .270 Winchester. Only thing I ever did to it was mount a scope, and put some shells in it. That's it. I've tried a dozen different loads in it. Shoots them all under an inch, and the stuff it likes it shoots closer to a 1/4 inch. To top if off, my wife picked it out, so I can't even take credit for that!

Desert Fox":yqllwazj said:
HunterJim":yqllwazj said:
Desert Fox,

What are the details on your bike and trailer, please and thank you?...jim

Hunter Jim,

I build 5 of these trailer for me and my hunting buddies using a 3/4" steel tubing. It weigh about 25 lbs. un-loaded. It's can carry more than two hundred lbs. of cargo. It is also collapsible for ease in transporting to and from our hunting camp.

Here's some more picture of the trailer.

IMGP3844.jpg

IMGP3843.jpg

IMGP3842.jpg

IMGP3845.jpg

Cool design, and thanks for the reply and the additional photos...jim

Rem 700 SPS 300 RUM
Two groups .One with 180 gr A/Bs 3333 fps .6 " and with A/B seconds with a canalure .8". I still can't seem to post pictures so I won't mention the range cause even I wouldn't believe it :shock: but the two different bullets shot to point of aim 2" apart. This rifle even outshot my old Winchester in 300 Wby. Now I don't feel so bad about selling it. :grin:

MY new All weather M70 in a 270 now that I have the load worked out I can keep under a inch all day and there are days when I do my part it can shoot at 1/2 inch so this will be my first year to hunt with it so we will see. My last range trip I had a 1.5 inch group at 200 off the bench.

My 7mm RUM put 3 shots in .417" with 160 AB, H50BMG & Fed. 215 Mag. GM Match primer, but realistically will shoot 3/4" consistantly at 100 yds.

My Tikka T3 Lite .22-250 will consistantly cloverleaf 3 shots tight at 100 yds. with Win . brass, Fed. 210 GM Match primer, Varget powder & 55 gr. Hornady V Max.

Antelope_Sniper":24s5op4w said:
Wife's Tikka in .270 Winchester. Only thing I ever did to it was mount a scope, and put some shells in it. That's it. I've tried a dozen different loads in it. Shoots them all under an inch, and the stuff it likes it shoots closer to a 1/4 inch. To top if off, my wife picked it out, so I can't even take credit for that!

Sound just like my old Tikka M65 in 270 win.

My new favourite falls just outside your specification, its a C.Sharps Highwall in 30-40 Krag. She's 8 pounds but with a 20 inch barrel and no scope she carries well so I hope to get a moose or two with her this fall. Anyway, my best fiveshotgroup so far is 0.7 inch at 100 meters with oneinchers pretty standard when I do my part. Thats with the aperturesight. With the plain open sights I have a hard time shooting better than 2 - 3 inch groups.

My 7mm Rem mag Ruger Number One is shooting well at 300 yards with Nosler 160 gr Partitions. I think it's about a pound heavier than your 7.5 pound limit though.
IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg

Otherwise, for a sporter-weight rifle, I rely on a .25-06 Rem 700 CDL. It's done real well for me over the past few years! Here's my youngest son practicing with it a couple of weeks ago. I can count on sub 3" groups at 300 yards from this factory-built sporter:
IMG_1374.jpg

My history w/Remington 700's goes back to 1974 when Dad gave me this 6mm Remington - which still shoots great. My son and I have used it to take varmints, coyotes and mule deer. It does a fine job, and has put those terrific 95 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets into 5/8" groups at 100 yards, from the bipod. A really nice old rifle that we've been using for 35 years now... My son asked me to update the scope a few years ago, so he's got the 3.5-10x Leupold now. Easy shooting multi-purpose package:
IMG_1197.jpg

Back