What Brand Bullets Are These ?

kraky1":1yjux3xt said:
I think the Hornady voters win the chicken dinner.... I just looked at my 9th Edition Hornady manual and it doesn't really show a actual picture but the rendition is pretty clear.... a very tight lead tip is exposed very little. They call it the 225 sp-rp.
And Hornady is certainly well known for using that kind of a channel to move their blems.

the 7mm bullets are a dead give away . Hornady uses the odd weights in those . 139 , 154 , 162

I just got another response from Midway customer service. We can not divulge the manufacture of the seconds bullets do to our contract with bullet seconds . but they are labeled Spire Points and they might be these since they resemble them look Here. The word here is a hot key that goes to the Hornady 225gr .338 Spire point bullet. He didn't but did answer my question. I think it's plain stupid that you have to go threw this to find out what you bought so you can load it safely. JMO :evil:

I actually respect a company that at least tries to protect its retail dealer organization. Lord knows the mom and pop gun shops across the country that stock Hornady products have plenty of competition from internet sales. It's just an ordinary 225 cup and core bullet and I don't quite get the fear of safety regarding knowing the exact brand before reloading. IMHO I even respect midway for sticking to the ground rules laid out by the manufacturer. It kind of comes down to "if the anxiety caused by the purchase exceeds the value of the savings" the savings probably aren't worth it.

kraky1":2m099c97 said:
I actually respect a company that at least tries to protect its retail dealer organization. Lord knows the mom and pop gun shops across the country that stock Hornady products have plenty of competition from internet sales. It's just an ordinary 225 cup and core bullet and I don't quite get the fear of safety regarding knowing the exact brand before reloading. IMHO I even respect midway for sticking to the ground rules laid out by the manufacturer. It kind of comes down to "if the anxiety caused by the purchase exceeds the value of the savings" the savings probably aren't worth it.
Thanks for the explanation and I also can understand the reasons behind their label and lack of free info on manufacture.
I had a bad experience with switching bullet styles of the same weight but different nose design from the same manufacture that cause an overload and left the spent primers in the rifle when ejected so I'm overly cautious about switching bullets of the same weight with the same powder charge.

FOTIS":169kugri said:
Thanks Fotis I was confused because the picture depicts one thing and when they arrived they looked like something else. I'm not up on Hornady bullet changes and have always seen Spire points as having a nose and being pointed not flat like a protected point or core loc bullet. A simple note in with the bullets could relieve the problem like use same load data as with Hornady 225gr SPSP and still protect their contract obligation.

You'll be good buddy. Load them just like a cup and core 225 and you'll be great.

SJB358":22z0pf47 said:
You'll be good buddy. Load them just like a cup and core 225 and you'll be great.
I just finished loading 12 with a ladder of H4831 starting at 68grs and working up to 69.5grs with the bullets seat to 3.340" OAL so I could get some once fired cases for an H2O cap. Used my old Vol.II Hornady manual for the powder charges. :grin:

and this is how crazy reloading is....
If this is for 338 Win Mag the Hornady 9th Edition says.....73.5 h4831 is max!

kraky1":z3wt62f2 said:
and this is how crazy reloading is....
If this is for 338 Win Mag the Hornady 9th Edition says.....73.5 h4831 is max!
The loads I posted aren't max but more mid range just for starting and to have something to shoot when I get the rifle.

I have been buying Midway seconds for a few years and everything I've seen have been Hornady seconds.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the responses. I got an answer back from MidWay and they won't divulge any info but keep pointing me towards Sierra's web page for help and by now we all know they aren't Sierra's. Just thought I would let you know what they said.

Back