What caliber should the series four Nosler rifle be?

What caliber should the series four Nosler rifle be?

• 375H&H

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 300 RUM

• 22-250 Remington

• 30-06 Springfield

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Glock Man

Beginner
Apr 13, 2006
What would you folks like to see from Nosler for the fourth edition of rifle? If you would like something else, let us know.

Damn, you would consider a 300 RUM for the next cutsom after I already bought one. Oh well, I guess my Remington "Special Run" thumbhole laminate 300RUM will have to suffice. :grin:

Seems like the 30 caliber is pretty well covered by the 300 WSM. The 280 AI covers the 7mm range. I'd look at 270 WSM or 25-06. Is every rifle each year going to look exactly the same? That will make for a pretty boring rack after you buy 3 or 4 of these. What about at the very least changing checkering patterns? Maybe make one with a natural stainless finish or lose the ebony cap? Just a thought. RGR

Nosler,

I have a NULA '06 on order now, but I am thinking you could go either up or down in caliber from where you are as suggested above. A lot of folks are using the .25-'06 hunting in the West (I will probably just stick with my 6.5-'06 though).

I would leave the .375 H&H for the controlled feed crowd and dangerous game rifles. It does not seem somehow to match the Nosler Custom Rifle.

You have two .300" choices in the RUM and the '06. My personal vote between those two is for the '06. The .22-.250 is a great varmint choice but I would choose a 6 mm Rem before that cartridge.

So I check "other", and recommend you think about a .338 before the .375.

I can be engages to consult on this one!

jim

I think that I am starting to see some common responses. I have to admit that my personal choice might change due to all of the great responses.

What about something with open sights?

Nosler3
When you said open sights are you refering to a lever action? octagon barrel? case colored reciever? 45-70?
That would be neat.

Open sights? Hmmm... Maybe a stubby rifle in a short-mid range thumper with excellent hunting sights and a high quality detachable scope mount?

Like... A bolt action .450 Marlin with AO express sights and QD mounts along with a low-powered Leupold variable? Or maybe .350 Rem mag? Of course the .375 H&H or the new .375 Ruger might be viable candidates too.

Something that would be useful out to 200 - 250 yards, for most big game, but particularly useful at close range in black timber, dense hardwood forests or the thickets... :grin:

I voted for other because 25-06 wasn't on the list. 25-06 would get my vote. Used mine from squirrels to elk and black bear. I think the 25-06 is gaining some popularity again.

I did not vote. I really don't like the Nosler rifle. I do like the Nosler Co and bullets however.

What were the first three cartridges anyway? 300 WSM ?, 280 AI ? ??

I noticed that when Kimber announced the rifles for the 338 F 84M that three of the five models were tactical!

I have no interest in tactical but it seems others do.

Pehaps that rifle would sell as a tactical. Suppose the 308 is where to start.

Why not a .338 Win. Mag. with such a wide variety of bullet weights it is great for most anythig around the world, and is very shooter/reloader friendly.

The 338 WM kicks way too hard for me. User friendly. ???

Instead lets have the 375 Ruger. :wink:

Savage99":3m5vxlft said:
The 338 WM kicks way too hard for me. User friendly. ???

Instead lets have the 375 Ruger. :wink:

Savage 99, it does not sound like you have shot the 375 Ruger yet. The rifle that we had in our Ballistics lab for load data kicked like a mule. I am intrigued by this cartridge.

My post was sarcastic. Note the little emoticon.

Earlier I suggested a tactical rifle style in perhaps 308. Now I don't want that myself but it seems that its selling.

I went into a large gunshop here and half of the guys are looking at those AR wanabees.

The .338 win is not for every body just as a tactical .308 is not for everybody. The .338 WM has less felt recoil than the .375 H&H choice and has more energy out of a 250 gr. nosler Partition at 2800 fps (federal HE load) than a .375 with a 300 grain partitio out of a H&H at 2320 fps (federal load). A handloaded .375 H&H 300 grain Partition going 2600 fps has more energy out ot 100 yrds then falls behind the .338 (federal HE), accourding to the sierra balistics software. The .338 WM also has beter S.D. and B.C. than a .375.

What does everyone think about Nosler offering left handed rifles? I personally think that there is a market there for a premium LH rifle.

Back