What caused this???

truck driver":3jckhm3e said:
If you decap and save the spent primers you will see upon inspecting them that they blowed out at the edge. I had this happen with WLRM primers and contacted Winchester who requested I send them the spent primers and they sent me a prepaid shipping label to send the whole lot back and offered to pay for any damages to repair my rifle. Since there were no damages they sent me a check to replace the primers for any inconveniences. Not a lot of money but enough to buy a new brick of primers. I have older lots of WLR primers that I still use with out problems but I will not buy new ones and choose to use Federal or CCI in my rifles.
As Scotty stated they are smaller in diameter than other primers and tend to back out. I even have some that looked like rim fire rims. :shock: :(

Right out of nowhere I had the exact same thing happen with WLR primers all of the same lot# and did as truck driver did above. Winchester is very attentive to this issue.

I called Winchester and left a message with one of the reps. We will see what happens. I did not remove the primers from the brass yet. I will let you know what happens next.

wisconsinteacher":2j716zl0 said:
I called Winchester and left a message with one of the reps. We will see what happens. I did not remove the primers from the brass yet. I will let you know what happens next.

They will get back with you.

Well after only a few hours of waiting, Winchester called back and were great to deal with. They want the pieces of brass from yesterday and all the primers from that lot. I asked about my other primers and they said they want them also. They will cut me a check when they receive them on their end. They also offered to pay for any damages to the rifles. The last thing I asked about pertained tot he 150 loaded rounds I have on hand and they said if I wanted to take the apart and send the primers in they would pay for them also even though I don't know what lot they came from.

Personally, you can't ask for more than that from a company. I don't know if I should take the loaded rounds apart or just shoot them but I have some time to think it over while I wait for their shipping boxes arrive.

A great response. I would have expected nothing less from a major company such as Winchester.

Glad to hear it. That is what I also would expect. I must have been the lucky one over the years, I have never had this issue using their primers.Lee

Yup that's the same response I got from them and the 2 young ladies I dealt with. but they didn't ask for the brass with the primers in it just the primers and any primers I had from new lots. Spent a couple of hours on the phone with them while I sorted threw the various lots of primers I had on hand. I use to buy them by the case when I was shooting competition but bought the mag primers when I got the Weatherby and bought what was available at the time since it was the begining of the ammo shortages.

Winchester, while not making left handed bolt action rifles, has always been pretty good about customer service in my experience.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Glad to hear things are working out for you WT. I've not experienced any troubles with Win primers yet and hope to keep it that way.

I have been seeing this on my WLRM primers on loads that I know are not high pressure. Good to know it is not an issue with anything I'm doing. Maybe 1 or 2 out of 100. I switched to the WLRM when the 215 became hard to find. Looks like I'm going to have to switch up primers again and rework all my loads :x Just when I was starting to get everything settled.

Put me on the list that prefers Winchester primers to other large rifle primers. Of all the blown primers I've had I know they were either caused by too much pressure / powder OR they were in pockets that didn't grasp well enough. I've gotten better over the years with detecting when a pocket is loose. I've also had my most accurate loads with Winchester primers so that's another reason to keep using them.

I have no doubt there could be a bad lot. However, Winchester (or whoever makes the primers) has done right by offering repairs and exchanges. A good company takes care of its customers.

Primers that I have examined with this issue, all had stress line cracks where the corner blew out of the primer.

It seems like Win let quite a few bad ones off the line without catching it. Been a lot of complaints up this way too. During the primer shortage a few years ago a got my hands on a bunch of WLR and WSLR primers. To date I have had zero trouble with them, but I have since bought a bunch of fed and CcI to restock my shelf.
Fwiw they have had alot of rim fire ammo problems too. Not sure where or how they slipped thru the cracks but they did. My guess is some newer , cheaper, less trained employees were going to increase profits . In reality it's cost them big time.

Well, I am pleased to say that the returning of the primers has been completed and today I received a check in the mail for the primers I sent in and to cover my shipping costs. Winchester did great on this transaction and are very customer focused.

Just checked my most recent brick of Winchester LR. lot is HDL533G they do not start with a D

Back