what do you suggest?

JDMAG

Handloader
Aug 15, 2006
I have an old Knight T-Bolt that I would like for my son to start useing. 50 cal. the problem is, he has a flinch Which developed during a turkey hunt useing a gun that was too big for him and kicked the crap out of him. I accept full responsibility for this. And it carries over to his modle 7 youth .243.
I am hoping to lower the load in a muzzle loader thet will still allow him to kill a deer but not jar him to the point of increasing the flinch. what load do you recommend?
Also any reccomendations on looseing the flinch would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
JD

I'd try working a load around 70-80 grains with a 240-260 grain bullet and also make sure the stock length of pull fits him well. As far as fixing the flinch, I'd suggest having him do all the loading and cleaning between shots, keeping a close eye on him. After a couple routines, I suspect he will do his best to make his shots count without you having to encourage much or get upset. I'd just reinforce the idea he gets only one shot and also the muzzleloading golden rule of "Powder First".

I've shot a descent amount of rifles and shotguns, but even then, a real stout charge of powder in my encore kicks the crap out of me and is not the most fun. I also quickly learned it was unnecessary and less accurate than a lesser load. Most roundball traditional shooters shoot 70-90 grains and that's with blackpowder, about 10% less hot than the newer stuff.

I'd also bring a 22 along for him to shoot to his heart's content to help him work on all the fundamentals and have a little fun at the same time.

The 22 was my plan also. I would like for him to get good enough with the ML to go Elk hunting with me the next time we can get drawn. He does good with his bow, but it dont kick. Also I'd like for him to have the added range of the ML during bugle season. We had 5 deer in front of us this morning, but none in range. (of the Bow) thanks for the advise, and keep it comeing!
JD

++1 to what Yote and JDMag said.
Have your son spend a lot of time with a 22 rimfire and reduced loads in the 243 Win. 70-80 grs BP with a 240 gr bullet in the ML will also be mild.

In addition, have your son wear ear plugs and shooting muffs along with a Past recoil shooting pad. The only cure for a flinch is a lot of trigger time.

Next spring, have your son shoot some light target loads in the shotgun. When turkey season arrives, load up with some 2 3/4" heavy shot loads. These will get the job done without a lot of recoil.

JD338

+1 on a lot of trigger time... however....
" perfect practice makes permanent perfect "

Nothing wrong with snap caps in the living room in the evening.... making sure the X hairs on still on the bull after the trigger is pulled

JDMAG

Have your son also start and finish a shooting session with a 22 rim fire.

JD338

Dry firing as much as possible should help with the flinch and reinforce the basics of shooting. And the same as everybody has said, take the 22lr with you and start the day at the range with it.

Back