what new short action rifle ?

Aug 2, 2005
Due to my need for generous eye relief, and my preference for lighter weight, handsome, accurate bolt action rifles for the mixed hardwoods of the U.P. ...

I am looking for an $850 level 7mm-08 or 7X57 to fill out my trio arsenal with the

.308 Model 7 SS and 6MM Rem (700 BDL) ... also have all the reloading supplies for the above mentioned... :p What's coming out that you distinguished aficionados rate highly?

Browning X bolt? Win Mod 70 Featherweight? Rem mod 7 CDL? others???

I'm not favorably impressed with the Model 7s; the action is not a stiff as I could wish. The Browning X-Bolts that I have shot seem quite good. I really like the Winchester Model 70s (of course). Savage still makes a fine rifle. You actually have quite a few options that will serve you well.

A bit over a year ago I found a used, but new-looking walnut stocked Model 70 Featherweight in 270 WSM. As I swung it, it felt and moved great. The stock fit was better than most of the rifles I have. The balance of it all was nearly perfect. I had no need or desire for a 270 WSM, but I think that the same rifle in a 308 Win or a 7mm-08 might be just the thing.

GB ha a 7mm Mauser push feed Model 70 Featherweight for sale. Seemed a decent price to me!

Actually I am leaning toward the Model 70 Featherweight in .7mm 08... Think I'll check on availability with my gun shop tomorrow...

Asking here because I have bought a new rifle in quite a while...Had an older one in .270 about 15 years ago that was a tackdriver after a trigger job...

The 2013s claim to have a great new MOA trigger... Haven't kept up with that? :?:

I have and have had quite a number of Featherweights; all were shooters. I had a 7 Mausser in push feed; however, in a fit of insanity I let it go in order to buy another rifle (300WSM Featherweight). The 7-08 in the Featherweight is a fine firearm that will serve you well. It carries well and is quite accurate. I like the new MOA trigger; I'm not convinced that it is better (or worse) than what it superseded.

Man, sounds like a great excuse to get one of the new M70 Featherweights in 7x57.. My son has the older push feeder and it is fabulous with RL17 and 140's.. To the tune of 2900 very easily and the rifle is VERY handy with the 22" tube.

Good luck. Hope you make a good score.

Back