What power setting on the scope?

300WSM

Handloader
Dec 24, 2011
I'm sure there will be several different answers...which is a good thing. Obviously there is no correct answer...just your very own answer.

When shooting targets or even game for that matter what power do you normally have you scope set on?

Most of the time I use the lowest setting on the scope for both hunting and target....but sometimes I will crank it up for target and even hunting applications. So the answer from me on this is a little of both.
Some are religious about this and I'm anxious to hear.

For general hunting I look for about 3x to 4x, but if it's something like prairie dogs at long range I'll crank in all the magnification I have until mirage appears. For load development, just like prairie dogs.

For big game purposes, more magnification is okay until it makes finding the animal in the scope too slow or until all you can see is fur and can't tell where you're aiming. If you're hunting coyotes that are likely to be on the move, you'll want lower magnification for the same reason.

I guess the briefest and most concise way to put it is that high magnification is fine when you don't expect your target to be elusive and running away.

Depending on where I am hunting and the power range of the scope, I usually have the scope set at 4-6X.

JD338

I have to start by saying most of my big game rifles wear Leupold 4.5 x 14 x 40 LR scopes. I generally keep these set on 4.5 when hunting unless in pretty open country, in which case I set them on 6 power.

I have killed more game with them set on the 4.5 setting than any other, even some at over 400 yards. But, given the time, at longer ranges I will crank the scopes up and use the Boone and Crockett reticle.

I always use the 14 power when shooting at the range. Just got spoiled with this. When I shoot my other rifles that wear 2.5 x 8 power Leupolds, I really can tell the difference.

Not that you cannot shoot good groups with lower powered scopes. I have shot a good number of 1/2 inch groups with the 8 power scopes and shot some GREAT groups with a friends .375 H&H that is equiped with a 1-4 power Schmidt and Bender.

But, a lot of people must feel compelled to set their scopes on higher powers. I sometimes hunt with a guide for wild hogs and he is constantly reminding hunters to turn their scopes down.

Fro target its the highest power on that scope. My most powerful scope is a 4.5 X 10 so thats it. I also have a couple of 3 X 9's etc. For hunting generally on 4 or 5, then turn it up if I have time.

For hunting, I use the lowest setting on that particular scope. For target, I prefer 10X because it is better for parallax and for mirage in the warm weather.

I've been doing most of my hunting with a fixed 6x scope for several years now. The 6x is working out great. Very easy to use, and bright.

Like some, I noticed that I didn't ever adjust my variable power scopes while hunting, I'd just leave them at the lowest setting, or somewhere around 4 - 6 power and shoot when appropriate.

I used a fixed 12x in formal target competition - that scope is now on my .204 varmint rifle.

Now my "target rifle" - it does so much more - has a 4.5-14x on it, and I keep it at 4.5x most of the time for hunting, and about 12x, or 14x for 600 yard target competition.

Guy

300WSM":3tslngtc said:
I'm sure there will be several different answers...which is a good thing. Obviously there is no correct answer...just your very own answer.

When shooting targets or even game for that matter what power do you normally have you scope set on?

Most of the time I use the lowest setting on the scope for both hunting and target....but sometimes I will crank it up for target and even hunting applications. So the answer from me on this is a little of both.
Some are religious about this and I'm anxious to hear.
for big game5X, for my eyes it 's a "neutral" magnification and allows for the fastest target aquisition.

when im out in the bush with lots of trees and shrubs i like to have my scope set for 4x but if im out on open range I usally crank up the zoom to 6x to 7x but like you said theres no right way its all on what the person likes.

With a 3-9 or 3.5-10 variable scope in open country I will usually have it on 3-5 power and crank it up to 9 or 10 for practice or aiming at an animal at longer ranges. With the 2-7 on my 375 Ruger I keep it at 2-4 power depending on where I am and crank it up to 7 in open country. With the 2-7 on my 35 Whelen I have started to keep it at 7 power almost all the time since the Ballistic Plex reticle is designed to be used at the highest power setting I usually only turn it down when approaching a downed animal. Now a days I could do well with fixed 6x scopes for almost anything.

i do alot of coyote hunting and when i set up i always have my scope set at the lowest magnification. this does two things keeps the field of view open if you have one sneak in close or catch one you missed heading out, and if your partner spots one its easier to see a target reference point with a larger field of view. once your tracking with the scope you can adjust the magnification to suit the purpose while keeping the animal in sight. this also seems to keep the movement down to a minimum.

I too do a lot of coyote hunting... and my coyote rifle wears a 3-9x40... that's set on 9x pretty much all the time. I shot fixed 10x and fixed 12x for a long time... I hunt fairly open country, and I shoot with both eyes open, so target acquisition isn't an issue for me. I wish Leupold would bring back the fixed 7.5x and fixed 10x with the AO... those were great scopes.

Songdog":3o20iu9z said:
. I wish Leupold would bring back the fixed 7.5x and fixed 10x with the AO... those were great scopes.

I agree, my 8x40 AO is a great scope just wish mine had the standard duplex instead of a fine duplex. If they offered them with a choice in reticles it would be nice.

gerry":32th8q9n said:
Songdog":32th8q9n said:
. I wish Leupold would bring back the fixed 7.5x and fixed 10x with the AO... those were great scopes.

I agree, my 8x40 AO is a great scope just wish mine had the standard duplex instead of a fine duplex. If they offered them with a choice in reticles it would be nice.

I'm pretty sure Leupold would change yours for a fee.

I have checked it out and they will, it's not too expensive either.

Leupold is also starting to run a little low on parts for some of the older scopes. I found a fixed 7.5x with the Leupold Dot in it... but I wanted to put turrets on it. Before I bought it I called Leupold to inquire about getting and M1 thrown on it, and they said they couldn't do any turret or reticle replacement on it due to it's age and the lack of sufficient replacement parts. First time I've heard that from them... but I have to assume it'll be more common as the years progress.

Songdog":1kcskdde said:
Leupold is also starting to run a little low on parts for some of the older scopes. I found a fixed 7.5x with the Leupold Dot in it... but I wanted to put turrets on it. Before I bought it I called Leupold to inquire about getting and M1 thrown on it, and they said they couldn't do any turret or reticle replacement on it due to it's age and the lack of sufficient replacement parts. First time I've heard that from them... but I have to assume it'll be more common as the years progress.

Had the same thing happen. I sent an old varix-II in to be fixed and wanted the old screw adjustments replaced with 1/4 inch click ones. They said they couldn't do it because of the age.

Back