What should be my go to bullet?

I would recommend the 180 gr AB as a do all bullet. It will open up just fine on deer and give you the penetration you need on elk size game.

Try RL 22 and work up to 75.0 grains. DO NOT use this load with the E-Tip!

JD338

Elkman,
I guess if your shots don't present themselves like we would like them too, then a heavier bullet needs to be. I hunt whitetail only, so I can use a light bullet, even if it hits bone. In the last ten years since I've been hunting, proper shots are always availible, to compensate light bullets.

Elk, moose, caribou, griz, etc... is another story.

Canuck, nothing wrong with loading 180 PT and using it for everything that you've mentioned. Being retired, I have too much time to hand load when hunting is closed, so I load a variety of loads for different game. Lately I have not gone again after elk, so the 140gr AB worked well for me on the deer and pronghorn. However, as I previously mentioned, the 140 AB is not enough to anchor a big pig. I will try the 140 PT next year. Too late now to change up. In fact, I am heading out tomorrow for Alabama to hunt white tail and wild pigs.
Good luck loading your 180 PT rounds.
Steven

Thanks for all the great responses guys. All the posts are very constructive and the constructive criticism is well taken to. Just to throw a wrench in all this. I was just wondering if the Partition is subject to tip deformation due to the exposed lead tip?

Canuck":3560h7wb said:
Thanks for all the great responses guys. All the posts are very constructive and the constructive criticism is well taken to. Just to throw a wrench in all this. I was just wondering if the Partition is subject to tip deformation due to the exposed lead tip?

yes, unless you seat away from ramp, or use accubonds.

I have so many rifles that I personally am a firm believer in one load for one gun.

300 mag .......... 210 Berger VLD
7mm mag ..............160 AB
25-06 ...............100 gr BT or 110 AB
6mm Rem ...............95 gr BT 100 gr PT 85 gr BTHP
378 WBY ......................260 AB 300 AB 270 TSX
270 Win ......................140 Ab
264 Win Mag ...............140 VLD

Where more than one bullet is listed means that I am still in development stage any bullet listd for each caliber will work on my intended game.

Makes life easy for me.

Canuck":1dz92js8 said:

I read of a test being done, then duplicated it to see for myself. In short the exposed lead tip was deformed to varying degrees, including bending it to nearly 90 degree of the axis. The worst group opened up only a 1/4 moa. On the other hand,,, a small nick with a file in the base opened it up nearly 2 moa. I wouldnt worry about it at normal hunting ranges.
Dave

onesonek":16hyitos said:
Canuck":16hyitos said:

I read of a test being done, then duplicated it to see for myself. In short the exposed lead tip was deformed to varying degrees, including bending it to nearly 90 degree of the axis. The worst group opened up only a 1/4 moa. On the other hand,,, a small nick with a file in the base opened it up nearly 2 moa. I wouldnt worry about it at normal hunting ranges.
Dave

Dave is spot on!

POP":3jrll2kq said:
I have so many rifles that I personally am a firm believer in one load for one gun.

300 mag .......... 210 Berger VLD
7mm mag ..............160 AB
25-06 ...............100 gr BT or 110 AB
6mm Rem ...............95 gr BT 100 gr PT 85 gr BTHP
378 WBY ......................260 AB 300 AB 270 TSX
270 Win ......................140 Ab
264 Win Mag ...............140 VLD

Where more than one bullet is listed means that I am still in development stage any bullet listd for each caliber will work on my intended game.

Makes life easy for me.

I have made this a practice also POP. Only until recently have I opted to use two different bullets in one gun. That is in the 45-70 Marlin. But with it I am using 2 different sights. One bullet with the Skinner Peep, and when needed simply remove the aperature and shoot through the ghost ring using the factory buckhorn sight with a another bullet weight. Kind of modest medium and short range loads.

Dave

I also like to keep things simple... one load for each rifle (.223s are complicating my life, as I have more than one). I for one would not hesitate to shoot a whitetail with any of my appropriate rifles. I choose the bullets I use so that they will work on whitetails, or mulies, or antelope, or if a big enough gun, elk. (The exception is my .25-06... I have both 85 grain BTs and 117 X bullets ready to go.)

I'm like Pop and try and keep it simple with one load per rifle. I normally hunt a combination season here (deer/elk) and been doing that for over 30yrs since moving here and sometimes that same rifle may use it for an antelope hunt. It's been about 6yrs now that the law changed that allows you to hunt deer in a separte season from elk and I've done that once. I've never owned what some may call "elk rifle only" but I have build afew rifles if I wanted to hunt the separte deer season and I have afew rifles if I draw a cow hunt that I like to use.

If anyone has followed my post since I load at the range I always have a back up load developed never know what may happen with that favorite load been reloading too long to put all my eggs in one basket. Since I'm going to my back up load for the 30-338mag need a new back up load give me something to do this winter.

I too keep it simple. Single bullet load for each rifle and a 200 yd zero. The only exception is my 45-70 which is a 100 yd zero.

JD338

JD338":30pikjvn said:
I too keep it simple. Single bullet load for each rifle and a 200 yd zero. The only exception is my 45-70 which is a 100 yd zero.

JD338

Same here with the sight in except my 356 Win. Have not figured out the optimal zer yet.

Have not figured out the optimal zer yet.

I set the zero for my 356 rifles at 200 yards. Realistically, shots beyond 250 yards are a stretch with the 220 grain Speer FN or the 250 grain Kodiak. However, I don't recall any shot I've ever taken over 150 yards. Man, I love this cartridge for black bear, mule deer and elk.

I am working with the 220 Speers and 200 gr Hornady flex tips right now.

What are your loads with the 220 speer and what is your velocity accuracy doc?

With 200 grain FTX and 43.7 grains of TAC, I get 2313 +/- 11 fps and groups of 0.8 inches in my rifle. Recently, I've had some good results with 46 grains of A2015 and 180 grain Speer FN (MOA and 2510 fps). I'm thinking this would be a good deer/black bear load, as would the 200 grain FTX. Other powders with these two lighter bullets are less exciting in terms of accuracy, though I can get higher velocities. With the 220 grain Speer FN and either a maximum charge of 45.5 grains of IMR4064 or 45.0 grains of IMR4895, I get between 0.75 aND 1.00 inch groups in each of my rifles. Velocities are fairly consistent in the range of 2270 to 2285 on multiple tests with these loads. I can testify that they will take down an elk at reasonable yardage, and they work wonders on grizzly at 140 yards.

ROYSLOCKGUN:

Try a little heavier AB or PT in Your 7mag = better penetration. I promise You.
The 160 gr is well proven for the 7mag, will still provide enough speed and terminal performance.

I primarily sight in with a PBR system, and that varies with the general use of the firearm and or the size of the critter. But also generally not over PBR on a 6" target.

Dave

DrMike":3igxk7x1 said:
With 200 grain FTX and 43.7 grains of TAC, I get 2313 +/- 11 fps and groups of 0.8 inches in my rifle. Recently, I've had some good results with 46 grains of A2015 and 180 grain Speer FN (MOA and 2510 fps). I'm thinking this would be a good deer/black bear load, as would the 200 grain FTX. Other powders with these two lighter bullets are less exciting in terms of accuracy, though I can get higher velocities. With the 220 grain Speer FN and either a maximum charge of 45.5 grains of IMR4064 or 45.0 grains of IMR4895, I get between 0.75 aND 1.00 inch groups in each of my rifles. Velocities are fairly consistent in the range of 2270 to 2285 on multiple tests with these loads. I can testify that they will take down an elk at reasonable yardage, and they work wonders on grizzly at 140 yards.

Thank you Doc, Great groups for 100 yards from a lever!

Back