Mar 31, 2009
i'm looking to change my 3-9x40 burris on my 300 RUM
i want max power range in the 14-18 x
some kind of ballistic reticule
side parallax adjustment
objective 4- to 50 mm.
must weight below 20 oz
price tag in the 600-900$

so far i hesitate between the leupold 4.5-14x50 LR B&C ret.
and the zeiss conquest 4.5-14x44 AO MC rapid Z ret.

do you have other suggestion?

FWIW, I have an older Nikon Monarch 5-16x44 w/adjustable objective and the BDC. So far this scope has perfomed well. I just looked and the 2009 Monarch line up has the range your looking for and side focus instead of the adj. objective.

I can't remember the exact power of my scope, but what I mentioned is close to what it is.

Also, if I were to buy this rifle now and look for a scope, I'd go with a VX-3 4.5-14x40 LR. I'd also consider paying the extra $$$, provide the ballistics of my 200AB load and have Leupold Custom shop make me a scope with a specific drop-compensating reticle for it.

EIther is a very good choice for your 300 RUM. I had a MK4 4.5-14x50 LR on mine for a bit and it was nice, but not enough power for the range I wanted to shoot, so I got the vx3 6.5-20x50 LR, much happier now.

I personally prefer Leupolds since thats what I've always used and they never failed me. Customer service is second to none. My money goes to Leupold.

Nothing wrong with Zeiss though...

caribouhunter

I would go with the Leupold, life time warranty.

The 50mm Objective will require high mounts and a not so positive cheek weld. Also more weight. You might want to consider the VX-3 4.5x14 Long Range.
It has a 30mm tube with a 40mm objective. Weight is 15.1 oz compared to the 50mm scope at 16.5 oz. Very bright scope and is available in the B&C reticle.

JD338

The Zeiss glass will walk all over the Leupold on clarity and resolution.

If you go to the Zeiss website and put in information it will show what power to set your scope on to have it match your ballistics. It should be right up under 14 power for the 180 or 200 gr AccuBond.

You won't be unhappy with either scope. Each has strong points. I have five Conquest scopes, three Diavaris and about six Leupolds (1 VX-L, five VX-IIIs or VX-3s). I would not be unhappy if restricted to any of these.

I have the same Leupold as Remmy, and I'm very happy with it. Instead of a plex reticle, I have the mildot, and target knobs. These are very useful for long range shooting.

they look pretty much the same to me
the zeiss in silver and black would look awesome on my 700 lss
but it looks like the leupold B&C reticle would be easier to see in fading light when it counts.
somebody tried the rapidZ in low light?

Dr mike
do you see any difference in resolution between your conquests and vx3s

JD338
your right about going with 40mm. i was hesitating between the 2
but i can see clearly enough with my burris 40mm.till legal shooting time
its just that i cant see the stadia lines for about the last 15 min.
50 mm wouldn't change that. but the thicker lines of the B&C ret.
would probably help?

I own Leuplds and Zeiss and I see more detail out of my 3x9 conquests than I do out of my VX3 3.5x10.
Both manufactures are great in my opinion, but.........
Carl Zeiss was the pioneer in coated optics and is always on the cutting edge of optic quality. When you go to the eye doctor, they look into your eye with Zeiss glass if that means anything.

get the leupy 4.5-14 long range and then send your ballistics to leupold and they will send you a custom turret then you just turn it where you want it it cost under 100 bucks I think like 60. Thats what I would do because I have a hard time seeing the litttle dots and fine cross hairs.

Of course if it were me I would just have it all custom built from leupod for about the same money and get a german #4 reticle too!

I just mounted a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44 on my .280 and I finally got to shoot it yesterday.
No more Leupolds for me.The clarity of the Zeiss is absolutletly incredible.

It almost hurts me to say this as I've always had Leupold. One of the last ones I purchased was a Conquest 4.5 X 14 that went on my .300RUM.... Just moved it over last weekend to a new .270wsm.
I wouldn't hesitate purchasing either one especially with the Leupold warranty and customer service. But as the others have stated, the Zeiss clarity is phenominal ! The reticle will maintain black in color in any light situation rather than changing to the copper / brass color as the Leupys do.

I put a 5.5-16.5 Nikon Monarch on top of a 20 MOA EGW base on my 300 RUM in M700. I can work with the power range on the low end and have plenty of power for longer range with this set up. 4.5-14 might be a little more manageable at closer ranges/timber hunting, but I bought this gun with long range in mind and have a 4.5-14 on my 7 rem mag for moderate range hunting.

get the leupy 4.5-14 long range with M1 dials.

That is what I have on my Accumark 30-378 Bee.

I have both also. I think the Zeiss is clearer and has a wider field of view and better light gathering than the Leupold. At Cabellas.com they have comparison charts. That being said, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either one They are both light , bullet proof, and as clear as I need.
Basically: any of the Good scope's top of the line models are great optics. Some are just larger and heavier than others.This is based on my experience with most of the brands within normal means up through Swarovski. Try em out at a dealer and see what catches your fancy.
Good Luck :wink:
Greg

Back