what to expect out of my 338 WM

bteate

Beginner
Sep 17, 2009
I picked up a Sako AV in .338 WM today and was wondering what to expect in terms of velocity with a 22.5" barrel. It appears to have been cut and brake installed. I'm up in the air with whether 200 gr AB's or 225 gr AB's. Heck, I'm even thinking about 180's. I know alot of you have .338's and would like some opinions. Thanks

The 338 Win Mag really shines with the heavy weight bullets. For all around use, the 225 gr is a good weight. For a light weight bullet, look no further than the 210 gr PT.
Hard to tell where you will be with a 22.5" barrel, shoot it through a chronograph. You may be pleasantly surprised.

JD338

I would not sweat the 22.5 barrel at all. I get 2850 out of my M70 with 225gr Accubonds, 2650 with 275gr bullets and 2750+ with 250's. I think your 22.5 barrel is going to be excellent, especially with a brake on it. As JD said, go heavy. You will not regret the 225 and I would even look at the 250's. They are a shade slower, but really hold up well over long range, and have excellent SD numbers that will pay big, for heavy game. Your Sako is probably going to be an excellent shooter. Get some RL19 and RL22 with some 225gr Accubonds-Partitions and 250gr Accubonds-Partitions and have a blast. You are going to really like the 338 Win Mag. Very easy caliber to load for. Scotty

I didn't get home until late this evening so I will shoot some Fed TBBC 225 gr that the guy gave me and see what they will do. This rifle (when I get it dialed in) will be for whitetail on power/gas lines and my Mississippi trip, other than that it'll go in the back of my safe until I save up some $$$ for an elk trip. Anyone have a pet load to start with, or just pick a couple out of the Nosler #6?

Yup, 74gr of RL19, WW Cases, 225gr Bullet, and CCI250 primers. You should get about 2800FPS out of that. It is not max in my rifle, but shoots very well. I would look at the 225gr Accubonds for shooting whitetails with. Has a .550 BC, and you should be able to push it over 2800FPS. Should shoot flatter than a 30-06 with a 180, and I bet most deer won't step out of their tracks! Scotty

I would start with RL 19 and the 225 gr AB. :wink:

JD338

225gr AB
71gr H4350
WMRP
Win Brass

Shoots .75, and clocks around 2850 with my 26: tube.

I also like the 200gr AB's. I shoot them with max loads of both H4350, and H4831 with very good results. Both clock at or above 3k and shoot under and inch all day long.

My win 70

338 Win

WW Brass
225gr AccuBond
Fed 215 GM Primers
Reloader 19 @ 78.0
2900 FPS load Max

Max Load very accurate matches 225gr Heavy Magnum loads by Hornady

WOW 79 grains of RL-19! Thats a lot.

Mine likes;

225 AB
73.5 RL-19
Fed 215
Nosler brass
2800 FPS at under .5"

The 338 WM is a great round. You'll be very happy with it. It is a very versatile round. I'll always have a spot for one in my safe.

Speer and Alliant have a load of 78.0gr's Max in there manuals for a 225gr Spitzer BT. That would be a pretty slick load and really flat shooting! Kinda like a 300 mag with about 25gr more bullet weight and some good frontal area. Scotty

78.0 of Reloader 19 with 225gr AB

78.0 Max load with 225gr bullets in the 338 Win Mag

thanks fella's, the rifle had some Conetrol scope mounts on it that were not right (front was higher than back, dovetail was cut wrong) but I sent them back to Conetrol and the problem was resolved. I should have them back in a few days to get started on it. Right now, I've got the stock stripped down so I can paint it olive drab with black webbing, maybe it'll turn out the way I want. Before I took it down, it shot factory Fed. load 210gr N.Pt's @2830 and the Fed. 225gr TBBC's at 2760 fps. Both shot pretty good for the scope mounts being loose and the stock barely tightened which is usually two things I always check, but I was like a kid at Christmas and couldn't wait to shoot it. This thing should rock when it gets done. I can't wait to find what it likes in the AB.

I have 2 sako av 338 wm. Both shoot 200 grain bt very well. Both will do 1/2 inch groups with 75 grains h4350.
The one i shoot most is a av hunter with 24 inch barrel. This one shoots the load at 3000 fts.
the other one is an av fiberclass with 22 inch barrel. I have not chronographed this one with the load.
I just finished a damage control elk hunt and took a cow rosavelt elk that quarterd about 280 lbs. I hit her through both shoulder blades and the bullet was on the off side hide. It was a perfect mushroom and weighted 152.8 grains.
I,ll posty pictures of the elk and bullets soon.

That is great performance out of 200gr BT. Be great to see pictures of that. Might have to try out the 200gr AccuBond or 200gr CBT bullet for a lighter deer bullet! Scotty

Heres the photos of the cow and 338 bullet performance. The shot was 238 yards
Cowhunt002.jpg

Cowhunt004.jpg

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

Wow, excellent pictures! I am jealous. That is perfect bullet performance. I don't think you could ask for anymore than that at all. Congrats on that great eating cow. I am another huge fan of the 338, so it is good to see some good game shots with it. Have you tried the Combined Technologies 200gr BT yet? Scotty

I have not tried the combined technology bullet yet, but my hunting partner is using them in his 340 weatherby. He just got this gun and has not taken any game wiyh it yet.
I have had good luck with the 200 bt . 5 bear, 3cow elk , and 2 bulls.
all one shot kills. The range has been 120 to 400 yards.
Since nosler quit making the 200 bt I'v bought up what I could find.
The last ones I found had the channalure on them.
Hpefully i can find some without it.

Back