What would be your choice???

sell the 300 wsm and then run, don't walk to any store that has a Win 71 348 and enjoy the remainder of your hunting life. If you want a little more distance for hunting deer in the hill country of Texas, get a 7wsm in a BLR, but don't sell the 348 to do so, just save your pennies or borrow some money from Guy and then you will have two lever actions,how cool would that be

yukon huntress":sgxjok7t said:
sell the 300 wsm and then run, don't walk to any store that has a Win 71 348 and enjoy the remainder of your hunting life. If you want a little more distance for hunting deer in the hill country of Texas, get a 7wsm in a BLR, but don't sell the 348 to do so, just save your pennies or borrow some money from Guy and then you will have two lever actions,how cool would that be

Hmmmmm......that's an intriguing thought you have there. A Winchester 71 in .348! Or maybe a Browning copy? I know the .348 does pack a punch as well!
LMAO, I'm sure Guy and Fotis would love to donate, or grant me some money for my lever action addiction, right????

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

HAWKEYESATX":2egk0dy7 said:
yukon huntress":2egk0dy7 said:

Hmmmmm......that's an intriguing thought you have there. A Winchester 71 in .348! Or maybe a Browning copy? I know the .348 does pack a punch as well!
LMAO, I'm sure Guy and Fotis would love to donate, or grant me some money for my lever action addiction, right????

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

I LOVE my M71 348 that's made by Browning... heck I need to get it out and shoot it some. Plan on using it for my rifle hunting this fall in the east.

SJB358":3k7ris75 said:
HAWKEYESATX":3k7ris75 said:
yukon huntress":3k7ris75 said:

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

I LOVE my M71 348 that's made by Browning... heck I need to get it out and shoot it some. Plan on using it for my rifle hunting this fall in the east.

Is the M71 making a comeback? I haven't seen ammo down here for a .348.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Dr Mike, Scotty, Guy, hodgeman, and every other gentlemen on the forum, please feel free to correct me, as each of you have far more knowledge than I.

Bryce, Before I bought the 348, I looked at the 358 and 45/70, even the 356, but immediately saw no advantage to the 356 over the 358. The 45/70 lets you send a larger bullet than the 348 and 358, and ammo is easier to find but you lose some distance. To me the 358 and the 348 was 6 one and a half dozen the other, with the exception of ammo availability and the 348 is hard to find loaded ammo for if not impossible. I chose the 348, but I believe I would have been just as happy with the 358. Also, in all fairness I don't load or pay for my loads as that is provided to me by my great uncle. so choosing a caliber that is harder to find ammo did not deter me. But you should save your cases, if you get the 348. The aforementioned fellows will be along Bryce to cleanup errors I made in my presentation to you, best of luck in your decision Brooke

alaska100":35krtdmn said:
Dr Mike, Scotty, Guy, hodgeman, and every other gentlemen on the forum, please feel free to correct me, as each of you have far more knowledge than I.

Bryce, Before I bought the 348, I looked at the 358 and 45/70, even the 356, but immediately saw no advantage to the 356 over the 358. The 45/70 lets you send a larger bullet than the 348 and 358, and ammo is easier to find but you lose some distance. To me the 358 and the 348 was 6 one and a half dozen the other, with the exception of ammo availability and the 348 is hard to find loaded ammo for if not impossible. I chose the 348, but I believe I would have been just as happy with the 358. Also, in all fairness I don't load or pay for my loads as that is provided to me by my great uncle. so choosing a caliber that is harder to find ammo did not deter me. But you should save your cases, if you get the 348. The aforementioned fellows will be along Bryce to cleanup errors I made in my presentation to you, best of luck in your decision Brooke

Thank you for your insight Brooke. I greatly appreciate it.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

alaska100":2vdj46lw said:

The 45/70 is cool. I confess an emotional attachment to the .356 (having owned four, now, and still holding three). It would be difficult for me to be without a .358, though it mimics the .356 and then betters it. The .348 is a grand old cartridge, and if one has that particular cartridge, they will be well served. The .356 extends the impact energy somewhat over the grand old cartridge, but one would be wrong to assume that the difference is significant in killing power. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference in firing system which cartridge one carries. Candidly, an individual will be well served with any of the four.

DrMike":24dp4xhe said:
alaska100":24dp4xhe said:

The 45/70 is cool. I confess an emotional attachment to the .356 (having owned four, now, and still holding three). It would be difficult for me to be without a .358, though it mimics the .356 and then betters it. The .348 is a grand old cartridge, and if one has that particular cartridge, they will be well served. The .356 extends the impact energy somewhat over the grand old cartridge, but one would be wrong to assume that the difference is significant in killing power. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference in firing system which cartridge one carries. Candidly, an individual will be well served with any of the four.

There's nothing more I would like to get than a Savage 99 in .358 Winchester. They're rare as hens teeth, and command premium prices when someone lets go of one. But it would be well worth it, I think. I just like the way the Marlin 1895 looks, and its big .45-70!
Now, I wouldn't argue if I found a Marlin .356 Winchester for a good price.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned getting a lever action rifle in .38-55, or .375 Winchester. Maybe they aren't all that good?

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Dr Mike

putting price and collectable aside,

from a function, dependability, accuracy, hunt ability point off view

a 358 in a BLR, 99, or 88 ? thank you Brooke

Each of the BLRs chambered in .358 Win that I have owned and/or shot were surprisingly accurate. That, alone, would be my choice. The Model 88 is not particularly accurate, though chambered in .358 is a most desirable collectible. Ditto for the Model 99.

Bryce - for some more info on the .45/70 (or the similar .450 Marlin) take a look at the .458" bullet tests here on the Nosler Forum. Not all .45 cal bullets are equal...

Link: viewforum.php?f=63

Guy

alaska100":20j31ax0 said:
Dr Mike

putting price and collectable aside,

from a function, dependability, accuracy, hunt ability point off view

a 358 in a BLR, 99, or 88 ? thank you Brooke

Thank you Brooke!
I looked up some BLR's, and a few can still be had in .358, which is great. Thank you for your suggestions. That was an avenue I didn't consider until you mentioned it.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Guy Miner":113e4me9 said:
Bryce - for some more info on the .45/70 (or the similar .450 Marlin) take a look at the .458" bullet tests here on the Nosler Forum. Not all .45 cal bullets are equal...

Link: viewforum.php?f=63

Guy

Thank you Guy!
I will read what they have posted.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

HAWKEYESATX":104meun6 said:
DrMike":104meun6 said:
alaska100":104meun6 said:

There's nothing more I would like to get than a Savage 99 in .358 Winchester. They're rare as hens teeth, and command premium prices when someone lets go of one. But it would be well worth it, I think. I just like the way the Marlin 1895 looks, and its big .45-70!
I'm surprised no one has mentioned getting a lever action rifle in .38-55, or .375 Winchester. Maybe they aren't all that good?

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Bryce,
You mention the 375 ( 38/55 )
It just depends on what you want the rifle for, collectable, hunting, brush hunting, open plains hunting, whitetail or buffalo. My father collects lever actions and has a lot of them. From my experience with them and listening to my father and others I would follow in Dr Mikes footsteps and get a BLR 358, 2nd choice and a very close second choice would be the 348, followed by the 356. If I wanted the best of all worlds as these three will reach out past 200 yards and can still be used in the brush and are adequate for all game in North America.

The 405, 375 and others will certainly get the job done if that is what you want, as will the 30/30. Then it gets down to what you personally like. Dr Mike likes the 356 and 358 and has had several and still owns several. Cheyenne loves the 348 and has accumulated two Winchesters and a BLR in that caliber ( thanks to her grandfather ). there are some here that will defend the 45/70 to their death. My father likes them all, as he is a lever action collector, but he hunts with a 45/70 and 358 when hunting with a lever.

What feels "right" in your hands will be the lever for you.

My flight got delayed, so I am setting in an airport with nothing to do and got a little carried away here I am afraid ---as my dad says "this advise and a nickel will buy you absolutely nothing" (-:

Best of luck with whatever you choose

Best Regards

Jamila

Africa Huntress":2fzrmi6t said:
HAWKEYESATX":2fzrmi6t said:
DrMike":2fzrmi6t said:
alaska100":2fzrmi6t said:

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Bryce,
You mention the 375 ( 38/55 )
It just depends on what you want the rifle for, collectable, hunting, brush hunting, open plains hunting, whitetail or buffalo. My father collects lever actions and has a lot of them. From my experience with them and listening to my father and others I would follow in Dr Mikes footsteps and get a BLR 358, 2nd choice and a very close second choice would be the 348, followed by the 356. If I wanted the best of all worlds as these three will reach out past 200 yards and can still be used in the brush and are adequate for all game in North America. I personally believe the 444 will give you a bit "more" of everything than the 45/70, but the 45/70 can stand on its own very well and is a cool caliber/rifle.

The 405, 375 and others will certainly get the job done if that is what you want, as will the 30/30. Then it gets down to what you personally like. Dr Mike likes the 356 and 358 and has had several and still owns several. Cheyenne loves the 348 and has accumulated two Winchesters and a BLR in that caliber ( thanks to her grandfather ). there are some here that will defend the 45/70 to their death. My father likes them all, as he is a lever action collector, but he hunts with a 45/70 and 358 when hunting with a lever.

What feels "right" in your hands will be the lever for you.

My flight got delayed, so I am setting in an airport with nothing to do and got a little carried away here I am afraid ---as my dad says "this advise and a nickel will buy you absolutely nothing" (-:

Best of luck with whatever you choose

Best Regards

Jamila

Thank you very much Jamila!
I've narrowed it down to the .45-70, .358, and maybe .444!
The BLR's are a tad expensive, but I'm sure worth it.
So that leaves the Marlins in front for now.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Bryce, If you are now considering a 45/70,----- before you buy it look at the WWG ported co-pilot. You can shoot the 457 wwg bullet, the 45/70 bullets and a 410 shotgun shell in it. It breaks down easily and ride nicely in a float plane. I would like to have one and I have put out hints that I want one to my mother, father, great uncle, grandmother, April, Aleena, and Mark, but to date it appears my hints have fallen on deaf ears LOL

Seriously, if your looking at the 45/70, it is one more option to consider Brooke

alaska100":2rta8blx said:
Bryce, If you are now considering a 45/70,----- before you buy it look at the WWG ported co-pilot. You can shoot the 457 wwg bullet, the 45/70 bullets and a 410 shotgun shell in it. It breaks down easily and ride nicely in a float plane. I would like to have one and I have put out hints that I want one to my mother, father, great uncle, grandmother, April, Aleena, and Mark, but to date it appears my hints have fallen on deaf ears LOL

Seriously, if your looking at the 45/70, it is one more option to consider Brooke

LOL Brooke!
Have you tried hinting to your telephone operator up there?
Your advice is well accepted, and will keep what you suggested in mind.

HawkeyeSATX a.k.a. Bryce

Ok, so I've decided to keep the Winchester M70 Black Shadow In .300WSM. I think it's more practical to have, especially for long shots.

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk

Back