Whelen Scope

FNWhelen

Beginner
Feb 23, 2023
I have always used peeps on my Whelen but My eyes have reached the point where they need some help. I would like a low power scope, 1x4, 1.4x6 that is solid but not break the bank. I am much more concerned with a snap shot at 15 yards than a 400 yard shot. Any of you guys have one you really like?

I’m very new to the .35 Whelen, in fact outside of range time, I have no experience with it. I mounted a Leupold M8-4x on my JP Sauer Model 98 Mauser .35 Whelen and so far I like it very much.

I am looking for something that comes up as fast and clear as peeps do if I were forced to deal with big toothy close up. And still be able to dial up some for shooting moose or boo at say 200 yards. Pretty rare for me to need to take a shot longer than 200 yards.

If you can find one a Leupold VariX III 1X5 is what I used on my main deer rifle since it was brand new, a Ruger tang safety M77 in 30-06. That scope has never had to be adjusted since I first sighted it in and was used in heavy cover hunting white tail deer. Set on 1x it will allow you to shoot with both eyes open when needing to take a shot at a moving animal.
Don't know much about the newer models but these were excellent.

I would look at something that is a 2 X on the low end. I found any less and you can see your barrel in the scope which is annoying. 2-7 power scopes are perfect for what you want but are hard to find these days. Burris or the higher end Bushnell's would be good, maybe Trijicon makes something that would work for you.

I bought the Remington M700 Classic 35 Whelen when it was introduced in 1988. I mounted a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm and it's been perfect for up close and shooting out to 400 yds.

JD338
Jim, when I purchased my .338 Ultra Mag I thought long and hard about the scope I wanted. Midway USA was having a scope sale and I happened to see a Zeiss Diavari in 1.5X6 for an excellent price. I purchased it along with Warne Mounts and it has served me perfectly for Elk on Down. My longest shot on Elk was 326 yards and the Elk looked huge at 6 power.

I have a couple of Simmon 1.5x6X mounted on Ruger M77 RSI rifles that My lte wife abd I used on our deer hunts. I do agree that set at 1.5x seeing the barrel and front sight can be a bit disconcerting so we used them as a 2x6X scopes and ignored the 1.5X setting. We took a lot of deer with that set up. My .35 Whelens all have 3x9X scopes as do most of my rifles. Seems like every time I've taken a shot at game the scope was set at 3X. I use the 9X mostly for sighting in and targets but hunt with 3X. Its just worked out that way. can't recall if I ever took a shot at big game using 9X. Longest shot on deer was at 426 paces. Scope was a fixed 4X. On elk longest was 530 yards laser measured and the scope was a 3x9X Leupold set at 3X. A couple rifles have 3X fixed scopes including a .375 Taaylor wildcat. (.375x338 Win. mag.)
Paul B.

I have Leupold vx freedom 1.5 x 4x 20mm on my #1 375HH. I have at least 200 rounds fired with that scope, my record keeping is a little spotty. With a Kentucky windage hold on the target it generated this group at 300 yards the other day with 300 gr partitions.
List price is $215.00. The Whelen generates some recoil but I think this scope would hold up for you.

Attachments

• IMG_9117.jpeg
    IMG_9117.jpeg
    426.5 KB · Views: 0
There is not really any place around here where I guy can go compare many different scopes one to another. Makes it hard to pick one. Sort of the pig in a poke deal.

My Whelen is built on an FN action and in a laminated stock so it is pretty heavy. The extra weight makes it pretty easy to shoot. I got one the 700 classics in 1988 when they came out but have never shot it. I just trust my old Whelen too much to give the 700 a try. A few years ago I put a 4x scope on it but would still prefer to have the peeps if the old eyes would still let me use them.

Back