Which Brake ?

Powerstroke

Handloader
Feb 24, 2006
After todays shooting session....about 25 rounds off the bench, I've come to the point that I've decided to put a muzzle brake on my .300RUM.
I know I've commented myself that I'd never do another one due to the blast as I have one on my .280. It works great, but the Smith that installed it is no longer around.

My question is.. which brake to use ? Experiences ? Thoughts ?

Thanks in advance

I love the brake on my 300 wsm, but my gunsmith got the big D and had to shut down. I'm in the same boat.

Powerstroke,

Give Rob Canze at Williams Gun Sight a call. He is an excellent gunsmith and is the one who built my 280 AI. The Williams brake is a good one. Another friend from this forum is getting a 338 O'Brien (250 gr PT at 3250 fps)built by Rob and should have in in the next 1-2 weeks. He will be posting range results very soon. I "think" he is also getting the Williams break installed.
BTW, this brake is matched perfectly to your barrel. It can also be removed.

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsmit ... TALLATIONS

Tell Rob that I sent you and he will take very good care of you.
If you have any questions, give me a call.

JD338

JD338":joeqkq1z said:
Powerstroke,

Give Rob Canze at Williams Gun Sight a call. He is an excellent gunsmith and is the one who built my 280 AI. The Williams brake is a good one. Another friend from this forum is getting a 338 O'Brien (250 gr PT at 3250 fps)built by Rob and should have in in the next 1-2 weeks. He will be posting range results very soon. I "think" he is also getting the Williams break installed.

JD338

I agree. The Williams brake appears to be the old Answer Systems brake, and is a very good one if so. Answer was right down the road from Williams until they went under 2-3 years ago. I know one of the old Answer smiths is working at Williams, wouldn`t be suprise they/he bought the brake from Sam.
Rob put a Hart BBL on a Mark X for me a bit back and did a very good job.

dont know where you live but a year ago I shot a 7mm RUM with a break that was unbelievable!! No kidding, I cant handle the recoil at all. I usually shoot a 250-3000 for that reason. The 7mm kicked no more than my 250. Honest. The break was made by a Smith in St. Cloud Mn. The barke was milled to match the contour of the barrel. A really really nice looking piece. I think the guy said it was $100. in stalled but dont quote me on that. Give "Stu" at Stu's Gunsmithing a call.

3322 12th St. NE
St. Cloud Mn 56304
(320) 293-4867

I was wering muffs of course. I imagine it was loud, but apparently not memorable. CL

CL, that is a really good deal for a brake. I'd say depending on where you are a Vais brake could be good too. The Vais brake has the usual ports angling very slightly back to use the gases to counter the rearward force of the bullet being launched. Where it differs is that it also has ports milled lengthwise on the front of muzzle of the brake directing gases and something like 40% of the expected muzzle blast down range and not wrecking your ears.

Vais Arms Inc.
1529 County Road 4513
Hondo, Texas 78861

Hours:
8:30 to 5:00 CDT

Phone: (830) 741-7167
Fax: (830) 741-7167

Email Address: ron@muzzlebrakes.com

For Brakes only
Installation not included

Chrome Moly
$91.25

Stainless
$103.75

The installed brakes here are a bit expensive @ 245. However, 91 bucks for a brake is quite reasonable. I would comment on the AccuBrake on my 30-378 and my dad's 30-06, they really reduce the recoil, but muzzle blast is quite severe.

CC.

There is a guy on a site that myself and a few others on here are members of, called Specialty pistols. He has done two brakes for me on Contender barrels and they were awesome. He can do any design you like. He is in Idaho. He can only do rifle barrels up to 22" long, but he charges $60 and includes a thread cap if you want. Absolutely gorgeous work. I will try to post a pic later. The guy's name is Ross. He goes by Rem40xb1.

Rob

Ol` Joe":edcuzf3l said:
JD338":edcuzf3l said:
Powerstroke,

JD338

I agree. The Williams brake appears to be the old Answer Systems brake, and is a very good one if so. Answer was right down the road from Williams until they went under 2-3 years ago. I know one of the old Answer smiths is working at Williams, wouldn`t be suprise they/he bought the brake from Sam.
Rob put a Hart BBL on a Mark X for me a bit back and did a very good job.

Ol' Joe,

I spoke with Rob today and I asked him about this. He said that the Williams brake is of their own design, and it works better than the Answer Products Brake. Sam sold the company and it was moved down to Troy, ran it into the ground.

JD338

JD338 Thanks for the info. Too bad about Answer though. They had a good product IMO, and did pretty good work. I had them screw a couple barrels on for me a few years ago, and am still happy with the result.

Thanks for the input guys ! I really like the idea of the Williams brake due to keeping the same barrel contour. The tube is already long enough without hanging more out there. I have to put the gun to use here in a few weeks then I can be without it for a while if needed to ship it out.

Powerstroke--I don't know where you are located in CO, but, you might check out the following:
GRE'-TAN RIFLES
29742 C.R.50
KERSEY, CO, 80644

(970) 353-6176

http://www.gretanrifles.com

He has a great reputation for quality precision work.

Antelope_Sniper":1s1b3e2c said:
I believe mine is an Accubrake....It really works.
I have an accubrake on my 300 win mag. It seems to be good , I didn't develope a flinch today after 10 rounds.
(didn't develope a very good load either! :? )

Powerstroke, have ever tried one of those strap on recoil pads. I like mine. It lets me actually enjoy shooting my 300 win mag from the bench. It costs less. Does not add another 2 inches to that barrel either. I shot a 338 win mag and a 7mm mag guite a bit this summer. Both have muzzle brakes and were very effective at reducing recoil. Since I don,t like adding 2 inches to the barrel of my guns I went to the pad thing.

I'm not much of a brake fan but they really do work. If I ever do have a brake added, it will be the Williams Gun Sight.

Recoil pads are also a good investment. I had a Pachmyer Decelerator recoil pad added to my 338 RUM. It made a huge difference in recoil, taking the sting out of it. I would say go with the Decelerator of Limbsaver first. If you meed more recoil reduction, than go with a brake.

JD338

I run the Defensive Edge brake on my rifles. I love it, very effective and no ports on bottom means no dust gets blown all over you, your rifle or scope when you touch one off. I'm sure there are other brakes out there that have all the traits of the Defensive Edge brake. I would just avoid brakes with holes drilled 360 degrees around the brake.

http://defensiveedge.net/index.php/products?start=15

Back