Which Caliber?????

Richracer1

Handloader
May 12, 2005
I'm currently contemplating getting another barrel for my NEF Handi-rifle. I bought it chambered for 223 bull barrel, but I'm thinking of sending it back to get another caliber for it. I'm thinking of a 243 bull barrel or a 25-06. The primary use will be coyotes and other small critters. Don't plan on using for it deer as this is what my 270WSM is for. What are your thoughts?

Well the 243 would get my vote for solely a coyote/varmint caliber. As far as dual purpose for yotes/deer, I'll take a 25-06 any day. Since you already have your established deer caliber 270 WSM, I would think the 243 would fit the bill quite well. I liked the 55's at 4000-4100fps, but I'll be using 70g or maybe even the 80g bt's in the future. There both kinda barrel burners shooting lighter bullets. They both are accurate cartridges. 243 uses a little less powder, little cheaper to shoot. Theres nothing wrong with either of them, thats for certain.

The 55 BTips at 4100 fps have to be shot to be believed. They are the most accurate load in my M77VT .243, and they shoot flatter and drift only a little more than the heavier varmint bullets out to 500 yards. Add an increased impact velocity for more bullet expansion and they are hard to beat.

That said, I have not shot a coyote with one so I do not know how well they would work; based on experience with 55-grain bullets from a .22-250 with fox and coyote, I'd guess they'd work great.

Richracer1,

I would go with the 243 Win as a dedicated coyote and small game round.
The 70 gr BT will get the job done nicely but you could go up to the 100 gr loads for long range shooting.
If you were to include deer, I would go with the 25-06.

JD338

rich- For varmints, what will a 243 do better than your 223? I'm just asking. This is something I ask myself when trying to rational having both guns.

YoteSmoker":rtx2lb5z said:
rich- For varmints, what will a 243 do better than your 223? I'm just asking. This is something I ask myself when trying to rational having both guns.

Basically, the ability to use slightly larger bullets. Rest assured, if I pack the 223 or the 204 out for coyotes, a nice hog will decide to grace me with his/her presence. Niether one of those guns are suitable for shooting hogs (this has happened before). Additionally, my 223 has the slow twist, so shooting larger than 55gn wasn't reccomended by the manufacturer. Finally, I'm not loosing my 223. The Handi-rifles are similar to the Encore/Contenders. One receiver/frame and a multitude of barrel choices.

One can never have to many rifles. :)

I would not put any money into a Handi Rifle. Instead trade it off but don't give it away.

A Savage 110 type bolt would make a better switch barrel gun and you could fit the barrels yourself.

Savage99":2sk9re4h said:
I would not put any money into a Handi Rifle. Instead trade it off but don't give it away.

A Savage 110 type bolt would make a better switch barrel gun and you could fit the barrels yourself.

Probably so, but I already have the Handi-rifle and it's substantially cheaper to get another barrel for it rather buy a whole new rifle. $120 will get me a 24" bull barreled 243.

A 24inch bull barrel in 243? Do it. To some a bull barrel might be too heavy to swing on a running songdog, but not me . I used a ruger 77 heavy barreled 220 swift for a lot of years and it worked fine . And also theres the whole heavy bullets buck the wind better thing useing 243 size bullets.

I was thinking of using 95gn Btips and hopefully my 4.5lbs of RL-22 (bought for the RUM but now using Retumbo) will give me good accuracy. I would like to use 80 or 85gn Btips, but I think RL-22 is to slow for either one of those bullets.

Richracer, I have never tried rl22 in my 243 so I cant comment on it. What has worked well for me is 43 gr. of IMR 4350 behind an 85 gr Partition or a 90 gr sierra fmj. Good luck with what ever you choose.

I would pick 243. I use Rl 22 in mine 45grs behind 95 gr x bullets for deer I also use 45grs behind 95 gr bt for critters and both loads @ 3100 I tried 55gr bt but i have 1-8 twist barrel only could get 1" at 100.Other two loads .5 @100 good luck on new barrel :grin:

the 243 is a deadly varmint round with 55 grain B.T. or 58 V-Maxs.

For a Varmit/Deer/Antelope round, the 25-06 is VERY hard to beat & one of my favorite rounds. However, you are asking about a Varmit round since you hunt Deer with a 270WSM. This makes me inclined to go with the 243. But then you throw a curve and mention hogs, which are quite tough. This made me think 25-06 again with 100BT & switching to 100Part.
when needed.

But I think a good solution would be a 243, using the 95BT for Varmits. Since we are talking about a NEF, it would be easy to break open the
action & put in a 95 Part. if the Hogs don't see you & you know a Hog can smell alot better than they can see, so this is very doable quite often. Some of the Varmit bullets mentioned have a better splat factor, but the 95BT flies very well, better than most ofr the lighter ones. It will be easy enough to have the same sight setting with these 2 bullets at Hog killing ranges.

I know it's not a caliber you mentioned, but.......... ( .260 ) is it available? and split the difference ?

Back