Which Cartridge???

POP that is absolutely one beautiful rife just very nice. Good pictures also

Bullet!!!!!....................No thoughts on the 270 WSM for your next cartridge????? You velocity hound you!!!.....LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big Squeeze":x5pg1p47 said:
Bullet!!!!!....................No thoughts on the 270 WSM for your next cartridge????? You velocity hound you!!!.....LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh Yes!!!!!!!!!!! I am truly a velocity hound and the 270WSM is right at the top of my attention.

Chalk up another vote for 280 or the 280Ai.
I am pushing a 154gr Hornady interbond at 3005fps and Nosler 120 BT's @ 3200+ out of my AI.
I also have a Rem 700 in 280 that shoots dimes with everything. Recoil is not an issue either.
When ever some one asks me what I am shooting they are are always interested in the 280's. It was a cartridge that slipped between the cracks IMO.

old #7":ms1v4low said:
Chalk up another vote for 280 or the 280Ai.
I am pushing a 154gr Hornady interbond at 3005fps and Nosler 120 BT's @ 3200+ out of my AI.
I also have a Rem 700 in 280 that shoots dimes with everything. Recoil is not an issue either.
When ever some one asks me what I am shooting they are are always interested in the 280's. It was a cartridge that slipped between the cracks IMO.

Well said old #7. :wink:

JD338

Well I have decided what rifle and cartridge. I have a 375Wby Mark V Custom that will handle the big stuff anywhere with the 300gr TSX in the world I want to hunt. I also have 300Wby Mark V Custom that is my reach out and touch them rifle with the 180gr bullet. I found a 30-06 Mark V Synthetic for $725.00 and it only weighs 6 1/2 pounds and I will use it with a 165gr E-Tip for my general hunting. I could not turn down the price or the Mark V. This rifle leaves me the option in the future to build another custom off the 6 lug Mark V. The 375Wby with the 300gr, 300Wby with the 180gr, and the 30-06 with the 165gr all in a Mark V leaves me with a very good battery capable of handling any hunting situation on big game. Thanks for all the impute of opinions and comments.

m5_synthetic_big1.jpg

bullet":2aa9hmvh said:
Well I have decided what rifle and cartridge. I have a 375Wby Mark V Custom that will handle the big stuff anywhere with the 300gr TSX in the world I want to hunt. I also have 300Wby Mark V Custom that is my reach out and touch them rifle with the 180gr bullet. I found a 30-06 Mark V Synthetic for $725.00 and it only weighs 6 1/2 pounds and I will use it with a 165gr E-Tip for my general hunting. I could not turn down the price or the Mark V. This rifle leaves me the option in the future to build another custom off the 6 lug Mark V. The 375Wby with the 300gr, 300Wby with the 180gr, and the 30-06 with the 165gr all in a Mark V leaves me with a very good battery capable of handling any hunting situation on big game. Thanks for all the impute of opinions and comments.

m5_synthetic_big1.jpg
.................................For $725, not too bad at all for a Mk5!...........But! I`m not trying to throw a wrench into your new rifle purchase, but couldn`t you load down your 300 Wby. a little closer to `06 levels using faster burns and accomplish the same thing??......... I`m not sure, but aren`t the Mk 5`s available in the 270 WSM? If there is a Mk5 available in the `06 for $725, who knows, maybe a 270 is out there too at the same price?..............

Big Squeeze":9hhgxy2q said:
.................................For $725, not too bad at all for a Mk5!...........But! I`m not trying to throw a wrench into your new rifle purchase, but couldn`t you load down your 300 Wby. a little closer to `06 levels using faster burns and accomplish the same thing??......... I`m not sure, but aren`t the Mk 5`s available in the 270 WSM? If there is a Mk5 available in the `06 for $725, who knows, maybe a 270 is out there too at the same price?..............

1. I did not buy my 300Wby for 06 velocities but for long range out west hunting which I want the 180gr bullet. Nor do I want to have more than one go to round for the purpose of the 300Wby. So I do not want to adjust loads, scope and drop charts. The 300Wby is my heaviest rifle and for a good reason which is to help steady my rifle when taking very long shots.

2. For general purpose I wanted a shorter barrel (24" on 06) and a lighter rifle which it only weighs 6 1/2 pounds. I want to use a lighter bullet than my 300Wby for small to medium big game. Also a rifle to use in many wooded areas here in Mississippi with 300yds being a long shot.

3. The 30-06 is very, very versatile and very useful for my general hunting purposes. I have killed 52 coyotes over the years with a 30-06 using a 165gr Sierra HPBT. Average distance over the 52 coyote with the 06 was 291yds. Shortest shot was on one running full speed at 125yds and the longest was 426yds on one walking away from me at 45% angle. Lots of white tail and one back bear.

4. I decided on the 06 before I found the Mark V at such a great price. I thought about my uses and needs along with cost of bullets, selection and components. The 270Win was a real close contender but when I thought of a couple of places I would use the 06 and just might need more in bullet weight than a 270 I leaned to the 06.

bullet":3foiunn8 said:
Big Squeeze":3foiunn8 said:

1. I did not buy my 300Wby for 06 velocities but for long range out west hunting which I want the 180gr bullet. Nor do I want to have more than one go to round for the purpose of the 300Wby. So I do not want to adjust loads, scope and drop charts. The 300Wby is my heaviest rifle and for a good reason which is to help steady my rifle when taking very long shots.

2. For general purpose I wanted a shorter barrel (24" on 06) and a lighter rifle which it only weighs 6 1/2 pounds. I want to use a lighter bullet than my 300Wby for small to medium big game. Also a rifle to use in many wooded areas here in Mississippi with 300yds being a long shot.

3. The 30-06 is very, very versatile and very useful for my general hunting purposes. I have killed 52 coyotes over the years with a 30-06 using a 165gr Sierra HPBT. Average distance over the 52 coyote with the 06 was 291yds. Shortest shot was on one running full speed at 125yds and the longest was 426yds on one walking away from me at 45% angle. Lots of white tail and one back bear.

4. I decided on the 06 before I found the Mark V at such a great price. I thought about my uses and needs along with cost of bullets, selection and components. The 270Win was a real close contender but when I thought of a couple of places I would use the 06 and just might need more in bullet weight than a 270 I leaned to the 06.
.............I got it now! Just checkin! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If the ranges are longer I like the Kimber in 7mm WSM and for a lightweight the Kimber in the 84M model.

I have dozens of hunting scopes. First were the now old Lymans, then ten Leupolds. The last 7 have been Zeiss. The scope of the decade is the Zeiss Conquest 3-9 for a magnum and a 2.5-8 for a lightweight.

Back