which scope for my 257 wby?

nitis

Handloader
Dec 20, 2008
OK I need to scope my 257 wby and my 204 ruger

I think I am going to put my monarch ucc 4-12 on my 204 since it is my primary coyote gun and then buy a new monarch for the 257 wither a 3-12 or 4-16 or maybe a buckmasters 4.5-14

I know I definately want more than a 10 power on the new 257 and this will be my go to gun for everything less coyote.

any suggestions comments?

nitis

I would look at the Leupold VX-3 4.5-14 and maybe the B&C reticle.
Excellent glass and a warrenty with world class customer service that is second to none.

JD338

FWIW, I have an 6-24x Elite 4200 target dot on my 204. Works great, especially with the 4" sun shade that comes with the scope. Here's a pic of my Savage 12FV with a Boyd's Ross Thumbhole stock and the Bushnell.
204Ruger.jpg

and a target - 32gn V-max, 3990fps, 10 shots at 110yds. The loner is the 1st shot, and I didn't let the barrel cool between shots.
204Rug.jpg

I would love to buy a leupold but I just cant justify the cost any longer I can get the nikon for around 400 maybe less on ebay and the leuy is pushing 600. Also I hate ballistic reticles I cant see them very well I really like my nikons plex for a basic factory plex it is nice.

Look at Vortex Viper. We have three between me and my buddy Frank. If you like the Monarch then this is just as good! maybe even better. We paid $475 for each of the 6.5X20X50 and you'll receive $50 rebate from Vortex.

4.5-14 for the Bee
6.5x20 for the 204

leupies of course.

Looks like I am going with the 4-12 on the 204 its not really set up for long range pdogs its a sporter weight for coyote hunting where most shots will be maxed out to 300 which is stretching the effective range of this round anyway.

I am hoping to one day be able to afford a good custom leupold for this 257 as it is my go to gun. And maybe I can save up enough between now and next hunting season to do so. So until then I will mount my v16 on to use for load development.

Depending on how much I can save between now and then will determine which brand of scope she will wear but it will probably be a monarch. So which should I get the 3-12 or 4-16.

As for the vortex I am sure it is a fine scope but it is in the same pricepoint as the nikon which I know I like so if it isnt broke dont fix it

The 4-16 should cover any situation you woould use the 257 in.
I have a Nikon Monarch UMC 5.5-16.5, decent scope for the money.

JD338

Back