Which scope on which rifle??

Canuck

Beginner
Nov 26, 2006
I currently have a Sako 85 varmint stainless fluted in 308 winchester that is toped with a Leupold VX3 LR 4.5X14 50mm. I have a Sako 85 grey wolf in 300 winchester magnum coming this fall and for it, I purchased a Leupold VX3 LR 6.5X20 50mm target with varmint reticle. I use my 308 winchester for target only and my 300 magnum will be for target and medium to long range huntig since I have a Marlin 1895 45-70 for short range stuff inside 100 to 150 yards. My question is, should I put the VX3 6.5X20 on the 300 magnum and keep the VX3 4.5X14 on the 308 or vice versa??

The 6.5-20 is a lot of scope. I would put it on the target 308 and use the 4.5-14 on the 300 Win Mag.

JD338

I'll add my voice in agreement with JD338 and Beretzs. The most reasonable route is to scope the 308 for target shooting with the 6.5-20 X 50 and use the 4.5-14 X 50 for your 300 WM.

I guess +3. I would not want to handicap myself with a 6.5-20 when there is a possibility at a close shot. (Though, interestingly, I just bought a fixed 6x scope, and will not have a second though about taking i into the thick and nasty. Hmmm...)

Thanks for the advice guys! I just bought a FAT torque wrench and changing the scope tonight.
I did however send my 4.5X14 to Leupold to install a set of M1 dials, probably don't really need them, but much better than what's on there right now...

Both dials, or just elevation? I'm thinking about sending my Vari-X III in for M1 elevation dials. Well, probably just walking it in, since Leupold is about 10 minutes from my parent's condo.

BK, I'm going to do windage and elevation. A little too far for me to walk it over from Montreal, so the damn shipping + insurance is nailing me for 29.95 one way... BLAH!!!!

I'd have to agree with the general consensus. The place for a 20x scope is on a solid rest, not in the field. Unless you may be taking the new .300 out for a considerable amount of bench shooting, 14x is certainly adequate for long range hunting.

I think another way to look at it is that a .300 Mag would be something you take along for large game animals. In my way of thinking, 4x is probably all I'd ever need on my .35 Whelen because any worthy game animal should look plenty big in the scope unless he was just too danged far away. On the other hand, there's always the load development aspect of it all and more magnification is nice for that purpose. I ended up with a Vari-X III 2.5-8x on mine. Once the load's done, though, I think a 1-4x might have been a better choice, if not perfectly adequate.

Back