Which to use?

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
Now I have a bit of a dilemma. I have 2 perfectly good rifles, and can't decide which to choose for the inaugural season on my new hunting land. Tight cover, 100 yards max. 2 options are : m1917 sporter 30-06 with 1.5x4x. Load is 180 Norma Alaska slightly reduced from max. 2nd is K98 sporter 280 Rem with 3x9 and 145 Speer GS at near max. Game is large whitetail. I have taken several deer with the 280, none with the m1917. I am superbly confident shooting either at this range. Sadly, the MS will not be ready this season. Help me decide.

1917 sounds pretty cool... bullet sounds like it should swat them well.

The .280 seems to be loaded with a more "deer-focus" load. That being said, I am an '06 man and that 1917 needs christened!!!

Good luck hunting!

Dale

As your land is most likely in the US, I would use the American made "battle rifle". The 1917,a fine rifle.

filmjunkie4ever":2ur36gi6 said:
The .280 seems to be loaded with a more "deer-focus" load. That being said, I am an '06 man and that 1917 needs christened!!!

Good luck hunting!

Dale
Yeah, that's kind of the direction I was leaning. It started out as a project gun, was probably going to be a 35 Whelen until I shot the darn thing. Barrel shot far too well to trash, so it became my camp/ loaner/ foul weather rifle. Load is deliberately mild as we have some youngsters who occasionally show up. Tight cover so a deep driving slug that will open at 300 savage speeds was needed hence the Alaska. We'll see how she does.

1917 all the way!

How often does a guy get to hunt with a nearly 100 year old USA rifle that can still kick *** and hang with good, modern rifles?

Yes, I'm biased. I love the 1917!

Guy

Yeah, I think the 1917 will fit perfectly with this picture

Attachments

• 20161029_202543.jpg
    20161029_202543.jpg
    719 KB · Views: 1,154
For me it's all about the scopes and the 1917 has the lowest power. Your talking close range and that 1.5x4 power is perfect. Have a Great Hunt.

Yeah, we have big deer up here. I don't think the big, soft, round nosed 180 Alaska is overkill. Getting very excited. Hopefully I can connect with this guy, but I'll happily shoot a doe as well. I like to eat 'em more than look at them on the wall.

Attachments

• WGI_0021.JPG
    WGI_0021.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,118
1100 Remington Man":2h60aszv said:
For me it's all about the scopes and the 1917 has the lowest power. Your talking close range and that 1.5x4 power is perfect. Have a Great Hunt.
At the ranges you're talking I would go with the low power optic and the 06. Besides if Scotty reads another successful hunt story based on the illegitimate off spring of the 30-06, he will never own one:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":2e6q9twk said:
1100 Remington Man":2e6q9twk said:
At the ranges you're talking I would go with the low power optic and the 06. Besides if Scotty reads another successful hunt story based on the illegitimate off spring of the 30-06, he will never own one:)

Ha! I'm not sure what I'd use an 06 for, other than making cases for my Whelen...

SJB358":1h1cak5r said:
salmonchaser":1h1cak5r said:
1100 Remington Man":1h1cak5r said:

Ha! I'm not sure what I'd use an 06 for, other than making cases for my Whelen...

Ooooooo! Burn!

The '06 will git 'er done in its own right. But a Whelen... (y)

Back