Which would you choose to hunt

To derail the thread,

Of all the animals of Africa nothing says African hunt to me like the Cape Buffalo. My friend Jimmy lived for 'buff hunting back in the 1970's and his wife was a cat hunter. It didn't matter if it was mountain lion, African lion, or leopard, she would hunt it.

Growing up they had a big influence on me. They were the parents of my best friend. My friend has been to Africa to take his cape with a bow and arrow. He says there is nothing left to do in life as that is the culmination of it all. I envy him but would prefer to use a handgun.

For plains game, give me a lechwe or zebra. I spent many a night on Jimmy and Sharon's sofa under a lechwe while lying on a zebra skin.

For DG I'd hunt a buffalo...hands down. Just no interest in elephant, rhino or cats. Pockets aren't that deep but I might be able to see my way to a buff eventually.

Plains Game- I'm thinking Kudu and Oryx are at the top of my list in Namibia next year.

I will never go to Africa but for DG hunting, but I would choose a maned lion. They can weigh over 400 pounds, run the 100 yard dash in 4.5 seconds. If not shot and broken down they will spend all of their life force trying to ambush and kill the hunter which they can accomplish with little trouble. A .300 H&H would be a fine rifle for lion and would certainly work but some areas may require a .375 H&H with soft points to stop charges.

If somehow I make it over there I would want to hunt plains game. I think that impala, duikers, waterbuck and hartebeest are very cool. There are a lot of others that I would be happy to hunt given the chance.

Cape buff and any of the spiral horned antelope. Thought I had it all worked out and took my lovely bride to the sportsman show to meet the outfitter. All was going well and he made her comfortable and convinced her she should bring her model 70, just in case she wanted to hunt. He even offered to book her as a non hunting guest and simply charge the appropriate trophy fees. Had the check book out when she asked.how do we.get the meat home. Killed the deal right there, no amount of explanation was changing her mind.
Been working on her for the last year, she thinks we need to go to the sportsman show again. Keep my fingers crossed.

DG would be Cape Buffalo, plains game: Kudu

my dream hunt: New Zealand Red Stag!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Big Norm":18mt7zxh said:
DG would be Cape Buffalo, plains game..Kudu

my dream hunt: New Zealand Red Stag!

For DG: Leopard
Plains game: Tough to choose between bongo and mountain nyala, but as these are so expensive, I'll probably have to say the regular nyala.

I know my wife's number one choice for Africa is the sable! (not interested in the DG)

Would have to take the foxpro and hunt predators. Leopard, lion,jackal etc. Think of the fun one could have sounding like their next hot meal.

Gosh, Golly,Gee, I would just like to see them in the wild and get close enough with out being eaten or stomped on!!! Then maybe shoot a big male Lion. I don't see a need to kill what I can't eat and it's too far to bring home the meat. :mrgreen:

Don't fret, with me, it will never happen. Too old with too many health issues but one can dream, hey?

Back