Win Model 70 safety question

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Both of my Model 70's have the classic three-position safety.

Has this been a feature on all Model 70's, since the beginning? Even the push-feed models?

Asking because I was working with a shooter yesterday who was amazed when I showed him the three safety positions, and what they all do.

He hunts with a .30-06 Model 70 (didn't have it with him) and thinks his safety only has two positions, fire & safe. Said he thought it was made about 1980, and is a push feed model. He wasn't real sure about the difference between a push-feed rifle and a controlled-round-feed rifle either though. Depth of rifle knowledge was not strong with him... :mrgreen: I think I educated the fellow a little. He did say my .375 Model 70 was a "pretty nice rifle." I agreed.

Guy

Guy
I have never seen one that "did not" have a three position safety. My push feed post 64 has one as well as the other two that I have owned at various times. In the past they have not been known for the best trigger and perhaps someone could have installed a two position safety with a different trigger but I don't know how the bolt would be modified to accommodate that change. It is a mystery perhaps you will get the opportunity to see it.

All the push feed Model 70s had a three- position safety. I believe the three-position safety was first introduced with the Model 54 to correct the old Mauser style safety. This three-position safety has continued since that time.

Thanks guys. I actually couldn't remember about my push-feed Model 70 target rifle - because I don't think I EVER used the safety on it. Chamber a round, and fire it. Never carried it around loaded, only shot it at the range in matches or practicing for matches.

Figured all Model 70's probably had the famous three-position safety - and a wonderful safety it is!

Guy

I'm not sure if the pre war models were two positions or three. I had one that my father had gave to me but he took it back and sold it with out telling me his intentions.

Guy -

A old boy in Eastern Oregon that I have hunted with extensively has a Winchester Model 670 in .308 that was made sometime in the late '60s. He bought it from the Naval Exchange after his first tour in Vietnam. It has the Remington style two position safety. I don't know how many were made this way as I have also seen 670's with the three-position safety.

Hope this helps -

Dale

I went shopping online and here is what I found out !!!!
There were actually three variations of economy Winchester bolt action rifles based on the Model 70 action produced in the early post 64 years.
All Model 670 rifles had the two position Remington style safety. A total of approximately 287,000 of them were built between 1966 and 1979. One interesting chambering for these early rifles was the 225 Winchester cartridge. In 1972, the Model 670 was supplemented by the improved/upgraded Model 670A which had/has the traditional 3 position safety.
In addition to these two, the Model 770 was a middle grade rifle produced from 1969-1972 with production totals of approximately 21,000 rifles.

Yeah, I've never seen any version of a M70 NOT have the same 3 POS safety. From the Model 54 on we're all POS as far as I know unless they were modded by someone. Great safety and trigger system.

There are anomalies though, but I've got to handle a could 70's over the years.

Pretty interesting Bill. I can't say I've ever ran across one of the 2 POS sorta safety's. Learn something new everyday.

Well at least we were right, there has never been a Model 70 made with a two position safety. The 670 and its variants, as well as the "push feed 70", were manufactured when Winchester was going through an extended period of cost cutting in order to improve the profit margin. That didn't work out because the product was not embraced by the hunting community and after a few years they updated the 70 and once again started selling quality rifles. I have a push feed that I bought used in 1970 that has been one of the most ugly and accurate rifles I have ever owned. I paid the princely sum of $150 for it and after a $1000 of upgrades it's not much prettier but it still hunts well. This is all from memory but I think accurate. I know some others may add clarification.

Elkman":t8v5h0oi said:
Well at least we were right, there has never been a Model 70 made with a two position safety. The 670 and its variants, as well as the "push feed 70", were manufactured when Winchester was going through an extended period of cost cutting in order to improve the profit margin. That didn't work out because the product was not embraced by the hunting community and after a few years they updated the 70 and once again started selling quality rifles. I have a push feed that I bought used in 1970 that has been one of the most ugly and accurate rifles I have ever owned. I paid the princely sum of $150 for it and after a $1000 of upgrades it's not much prettier but it still hunts well. This is all from memory but I think accurate. I know some others may add clarification.

Yup, I'll vouch for Bill, it's ugly :lol:

Yup !
Oregon
old hunting photos 082.JPG
PIC_0013.JPG
old hunting photos 3 005.JPG
This is one of my favorite pic, December in Idaho
PIC_0017.JPG
Wyoming
029.JPG
PIC_0121.JPG
The cow elk I killed in Wyoming in Nov. of last year was about 10 yards from this one when I made the shot/shots.
That's enough of me for several days

Guy Miner":1oavnva5 said:
Apparently it shoots pretty well... :grin:

Yeah... I'll give it that :lol:

I'm almost worried when he tries to carry something else... So far he seems to be liking that old 7mm a little as well.

All models,of the M70 have the three position safety. This includes the M670 and M770. The M54 safety is also three position but is like the the Mauser flag safety. I have an M54 in 30-30 and it's a good shooter.
Paul B.

Yup, as mentioned, all Winchester M70's have a 3 position safety.
I seem to recall seeing an aftermarket 2 position safety for the M70.

JD338

Back