Winchester 70 Classic Build Mods

ldg397":1nq92o8c said:
Does anyone know if a bartlein #2 matches the profile of a Winchester classic sporter well enough for minimal barrel channel changes to my McMillan stock??

You might be close, but Bartlein's #2 is closer to a Krieger or Shilen #3 if that makes sense. Barts run HEAVY!

I don’t know. I do know that a Remington standard Sporter fits pretty darn nicely in my Winchester Classic walnut stock and it has not been altered. Usually the barrel maker can turn whatever contour you want. Hart is turning mine to the factory Winchester contour.

I took several measurements and looks like the bartlein #2b is the closest and also the smallest bartlein makes in SS. It would only be about .05 larger through the length with just a tad longer shank which I confirmed with McMillan would fit in my Winchester hunter stock. McMillan also said they would re inlet for the new barrel profile for $65.

I found a bartlein 2b 5r with 1-10 twist. For a .308 Norma would that me an adequate twist I see a lot of people doing that twist for 300 wm so I would assume that would be sufficient.

ldg397":som9enfc said:
I took several measurements and looks like the bartlein #2b is the closest and also the smallest bartlein makes in SS. It would only be about .05 larger through the length with just a tad longer shank which I confirmed with McMillan would fit in my Winchester hunter stock. McMillan also said they would re inlet for the new barrel profile for $65.

I found a bartlein 2b 5r with 1-10 twist. For a .308 Norma would that me an adequate twist I see a lot of people doing that twist for 300 wm so I would assume that would be sufficient.

I’ve got a Krieger 8 twist 2 contour .308 CM barrel if you’re interested.

10 is fine. SJB358’s 8 would be really cool with 230’s and 250’s too. I’d sure consider his offer to eliminate the waiting game.

gbflyer":2a4cyvhe said:
10 is fine. SJB358’s 8 would be really cool with 230’s and 250’s too. I’d sure consider his offer to eliminate the waiting game.

I got it for a rifle I was going to build but got something else instead. Figured an 8 twist would make some stuff move out nicely. I like twist. I’ve seen no detriment to extra.

I have Wyatt boxes in the 3 M70 builds I have in magnums (2 264WM's and a 300WM). My 25-06 M 70 didn't need it, it likes Sierra Gameking 100gr bullets that aren't to long anyway.

SJB358":1lb2r41d said:
ldg397":1lb2r41d said:

What would be the finish length on that barrel. 8 wouldn’t be too fast if I would be using 165 and 180 most of the time??

mcseal2":2nmcjg46 said:
I have Wyatt boxes in the 3 M70 builds I have in magnums (2 264WM's and a 300WM). My 25-06 M 70 didn't need it, it likes Sierra Gameking 100gr bullets that aren't to long anyway.

Who installed them? I might be looking for help with that if it becomes necessary.

Several years ago I bought a Super Shadow in 7 WSM for pretty cheap and did a factory OEM part replacement of the ugly flimsy bumpy space stock and ordered the synthetic FW stock and standard bottom metal direct from Winchester. The rifle turned out great and was an excellent shooter with 139 gr bullets. We ended up selling it for a little more than I had in it because it was the only .284 in a .30 cal house.

ldg397":3f2yqems said:
SJB358":3f2yqems said:
ldg397":3f2yqems said:

What would be the finish length on that barrel. 8 wouldn’t be too fast if I would be using 165 and 180 most of the time??

Heck no, twist wouldn’t hurt them a bit. I was building it to run 180 BBCs specifically.

I think it’ll finish at 26 or 27”. I’ll have to look at my spec sheet but I know it isn’t any shorter than 26.

gbflyer":1rte0lzv said:
mcseal2":1rte0lzv said:

Who installed them? I might be looking for help with that if it becomes necessary.

Flint Hills Gun works did two and Rifles Inc did the other.

Back