Winchester 70 push feed ejection issue

gbflyer

Handloader
Mar 28, 2017
Friend of mine brought this rifle by with a problem. It feeds and extracts fine, but the extractor lets go of the case head before the case gets to the ejection port, dropping the case before it goes out. I’ve researched some and everything points to replacing the extractor and extractor plunger. I’m wondering if anyone has experienced this and if I’m missing something. By the way is chambered in 225 Winchester which is a .473 rimmed cartridge. It was supposed to compete with the 22/250, the former of course outlasting it. It’s a nice old rifle save the awful thumb hole laminate stock it’s in which screams 1970’s mobile home. Haha.

You may want to check the magazine follower. Some of them have a notch (depending on the manufacturer and year) in them that allows the case to drop down. I have replaced all the magazine followers in my CRF M70's which were made by USRA in New Haven. The followers made by BOC are different.

Pictures always help when trying to figure out what's going on with extraction problems.
Bolt face empty and with an empty shell casing in the bolt.
Extractor tension on case rim holding it tight on the bolt face or too loose can work both ways. Case rim thickness between different brands can cause problems.
Investigate the problem farther and give us more feed back.

Friend of mine brought this rifle by with a problem. It feeds and extracts fine, but the extractor lets go of the case head before the case gets to the ejection port, dropping the case before it goes out. I’ve researched some and everything points to replacing the extractor and extractor plunger. I’m wondering if anyone has experienced this and if I’m missing something. By the way is chambered in 225 Winchester which is a .473 rimmed cartridge. It was supposed to compete with the 22/250, the former of course outlasting it. It’s a nice old rifle save the awful thumb hole laminate stock it’s in which screams 1970’s mobile home. Haha.
Just thinking out loud, does the extractor have a spring? I would think it should, unless it’s based On tension. When the AR’s at work have had issues it’s usually been an extractor spring went bad or was weak.

Pictures always help when trying to figure out what's going on with extraction problems.
Bolt face empty and with an empty shell casing in the bolt.
Extractor tension on case rim holding it tight on the bolt face or too loose can work both ways. Case rim thickness between different brands can cause problems.
Investigate the problem farther and give us more feed back.
Thank you. I think I can figure out picture posting. I haven’t done it since the site dropped Tapatalk.

Just to close this out for someone who might hit on this from a search. Replaced the extractor, extractor plunger, and spring. Significant wear on the extractor when the 2 compared. Solved the problem. I am at a loss as to how the extractor could be so worn and not be a smooth bore, yet it still holds 3 shots MOA. It’s right on the heels of a 22/250!!!

Thanks for the update. It is always great to see when someone has a problem and then found a solution. That type of problem solving may help someone in the future with a similar problem.

Back