Winchester 71 or Browning 71

Thankful Otter

Handloader
Oct 8, 2012
I have and use the Winchester 71 and like it. I have a friend that wants one and I was curious whether or not the Browning is, in fact, as good as the original Winchester before I recommend to him that he might also want to consider the Browning.

I think there are a few here with the 71, what I don't remember is which 71 you have and your opinion of it. Hopefully one of you have both and can give me a side by side comparison.

I've messed around with a couple of original Winchesters and a couple of Brownings...all belonged to an acquaintance of mine who is a 71 nut.

The machine work on the Browning was undoubtedly better. The age of CNC machining completely changed the game and Miroku is very, very good at it.

The age difference between the guns was something like 60 years so the condition of the Winchesters was certainly poorer but they were completely functional.

I'd have to say if your friend wants a shooter, the Browning is going to be a "better" firearm. If they want a Winchester for collector appeal- it's definitely a better choice.

I've owned 3 of the older Winchester 71s, one was a deluxe. A very nice rifle. It shot the Win. factory 250 gr. silvertip ammo into 2" at 100 yds. with the apeture sight mounted on the left rear side of the receiver.

I have looked over the newer Browning 71s and must say they are well made, but for some reason they don't feel the same. Spoiled by the best I guess :roll: !

Cheyenne, the best is the one that is in your hand. There is little doubt that the Browning will show the excellency of CNC machining. The Winchester will show the patina of authenticity. I'd be content with either.

DrMike":10ic7h3g said:
Cheyenne, the best is the one that is in your hand. There is little doubt that the Browning will show the excellency of CNC machining. The Winchester will show the patina of authenticity. I'd be content with either.

I've got the Browning carbine. Love it.

Still, I'd like a real Winchester someday as well.

I am with Scotty. I love my Browning Carbine. Fit and finish is outstanding. The trigger breaks like a glass rod at 4 pounds from factory. Action locks up like a bank vault.

I would buy another in a heartbeat, if I could I would like an original, but I would not be disappointed with a Browning.

Whitetails don't like my browning at all though.... poor bastids!

The Browning models made in Japan are extremely well made, and I would not hesitate to pick it over the original Winchester 71's simply based on the steels used vs. the older Winchester model. You can run them hot without any issues.

My grandfather is seldom wrong but it looks like he might have been in this case.

He felt when he bought mine for me that I would be happier with the Winchester. It said the Browning was very well built and for the reason I wanted the rifle, that they would both serve me well, but he wanted me too have the Winchester. He said for him personally it was something he could not "point out", but the Winchester just felt better in his hands to him. Also, for the record it has served me well no complaints.

However after reading the above posts I am wondering if I should buy the Browning and give my friend the Winchester ?

I also want to thank everyone for their responses

yukon huntress":x0b92dvd said:
However after reading the above posts I am wondering if I should buy the Browning and give my friend the Winchester ?

If you have a Winchester that you like I'd keep it.

I'm not sure about your location, but in my area an original Winchester 71 is worth about three times what a Browning is and are much harder to find.

From a purely practical perspective- someone wanting to acquire 71 to hunt with (as opposed to collect) will be better off getting a Browning- easier to find, less expensive to purchase.

If I had a functional Winchester in my possession? I'd keep it for sure.

hodgeman":9izjmqwx said:
yukon huntress":9izjmqwx said:

If you have a Winchester that you like I'd keep it.

I'm not sure about your location, but in my area an original Winchester 71 is worth about three times what a Browning is and are much harder to find.

From a purely practical perspective- someone wanting to acquire 71 to hunt with (as opposed to collect) will be better off getting a Browning- easier to find, less expensive to purchase.

If I had a functional Winchester in my possession? I'd keep it for sure.

Couldn't have said it better.. Spot on

hodgeman and scotty

I agree gentlemen, sorry I thought those who knew me would know that nothing will ever separate me from my win 71, I should have put a happy face at the end of my last sentence.

Thanks again for the info regarding the Browning. I believe that is what we will get him

Hodgeman, I am in the far north in Canada

yukon huntress":1liw1glm said:

Yeah, the WAY far north. As they say--two seasons, winter and two weeks of hard sledding. :mrgreen:

Hodgeman, the value placed on our rifles pretty well mirror the situation in the US. If a bargain is found, the situation will shortly be rectified when people learn what a particular firearm is selling for in the US. For instance, there was a period when Model 94 Big Bores could be found here in Canada for about one-half of what they were selling for in the US. Alas, that is no longer the case. :(

yukon huntress":1fxyznrp said:
Thanks again for the info regarding the Browning. I believe that is what we will get him

Good deal! I love living in northern latitudes... it has challenges, but it's beautiful in its own way. We have four seasons here- winter, winter, still winter and construction.

A 71 would make a great moose gun. I've looked into one several times...but the price was always more than I was willing to pay. I turned down a basket case for $1500 a couple of years ago...rusty, missing the peep sight, had been ridden around under a pickup seat for years. It could have been restored but it would be a $3000+ gun by the time I was done.

I've seen a couple of Brownings in near new shape in the $1000 range. I figured the moose wouldn't know the difference! Best of luck finding one for your friend- it will be a very nice piece of equipment.

Dr Mike----you have explained our "seasons" perfectly

Hodgeman, Yes sir it works very well on, moose, muskox, bison, bear. What do you use for these animals now ?

thanks again for the responses. I am surprised more folks don't use the 71/348, I think most probably just get a 45/70 and call it good, which is certainly not a bad decision

yukon huntress":3mgh67a6 said:
Hodgeman, Yes sir it works very well on, moose, muskox, bison, bear. What do you use for these animals now ?

I've used the .300WSM pretty much exclusively in the last 9 or 10 years with a couple caribou taken with a 7-08, one with a .308 and backed a partner up with a .270.

I've done some hunting with the '06 and the big stuff- the .375H&H that I liked very much.

There is no denying that the 71/.348 has a lot of panache'....I'm sure I'll pick one up eventually. It'd be easily my pick over the 45-70 but that one has a lot of character too!

I have both. The Miroku is slicker. Comparable accuracy. I don't wince quite as hard when I drop the Miroku.

P

Back