WT 2015 Antelope

I am 33 days from heading west and getting pumped. I have been shooting at my 2d target at 200 yards from sticks with a sling and feel comfortable. Today I shot at 300 from a backpack filled with a coat. I have the rifle zeroed at 200 and was hitting 6" low on paper. When shooting at the 2d target I cut the target in 1/3's and aimed for the top line that I formed. By doing that, I was able to put them in the kill zone. Next time out, I am going to try shooting off sticks at 300 yards.

All that practice from field positions will pay off. Keep it up. You'll have a great trip.

I made some big steps this weekend for the trip. I got my gps loaded with the correct maps, made my gear list and shot the 25-06 and 270 again at 300 from prone with a backpack. I am feeling a lot better than the last time I shot at 300 yards. I shot them all with a cool barrel and only shot one at a time so I would not heat the barrels up. My goal was to determine my cold bore zero and believe I am ready to rock.

25-06

The 6 shots felt good but seeing the results made me smile. I am feeling confident and prepared. Now it is just packing and studying maps a few more times.

Thanks guys. I just hope we can get on some quality animals and hit good weather.

I got an email today confirming my days off so that made me happy. 3 weeks from today.

I called the motel and double checked that we have a place to stay and we do. I have the grocery list made and my supply list ready. Now to make some more ice and go to the store. After that, it will be time to pack and hit the road.

Well, most gear is packed and tomorrow I will finish packing the truck. The forecast does not look to great for the first two full days of hunting for us. 60% and 50% chances of rain all day for both days.

Any tips for hunting antelope in the rain????

It rained on us last year, but blew through by about noon. The dirt in that area gets VERY slippery when wet, so be careful with your vehicle. I was so happy to have a full size 4WD vehicle on that trip just because of the terrain, but based on my Dad's experience with more rain back in 2010 you may want it for that too if the rain is heavy.

I did not find that the weather seemed to bother the antelope much.

We will be in my full size 4x4 truck so that should help. Hopefully we can get one right away opening day to take some of the pressure off us.

Back