Your experience and suggestions about .257 Roberts

rquack

Beginner
Nov 9, 2005
I am thinking about buying or building a .257 Roberts, probably on Rem 700 short action. I want this rifle for informal target shooting and hunting use. If I follow thru on the build it will be my first custom rifle. As a hunting arm, I'm looking for it to handle Michigan Whitetails and maybe a speedgoat or two in the future. I don't do any varmint hunting. As a target rifle, I would be looking to create a 1/2MOA shooter. Of course, if I purchase an off the shelf Rem 700 I may have to make a few compromises until I have it taken apart and accurized. I'm looking for a good shooter that's pretty modest in the recoil department; I don't like getting beat up.

What are your experiences with this caliber? I've heard it's a great deer caliber. What are your recommended hunting bullets, most Mi deer shots are less than 150 yards; if I ever go after antelope I realize I'll be looking at longer range shots. Will this objective require 2 different bullets/loads?? Not that that is a problem.

What are the accuracy possibilities of this caliber, both as a custom and as an "out of the box" rifle? Can you offer any suggested bullets to maximize accuracy based upon your experiences? Are my 1/2 moa expectations realistic from a custom rig? [Let's assume that if a factory rifle is selected it will have the action bedded and custom handloads developed for it. More exotic work will be postponed until a later date.]

What rate of twist should I be selecting in a barrel if a custom build is chosen? The factory rifles are 1:10. Should I stick with this or seek an alternate? In order to control weight, I would be considering a mountain rifle contoured barrel, although some minor accuracy may be sacrificed. [The factory barrel on my Model 7 7mm-08 has given 3/4" groups with my handloads using 120gr BT's, I'd be looking for same or better performance from a barrel by a custom manufacturer.]

The finances of this project appear to be somewhat neutral. Rem 700's in .257 Bob are available for about $850 NIB on Gunbroker. A donor action/used rifle would be about $400, the barrel and chambering $500, I'd use a stock from my "inventory" [at least initially] with a hundred or so in bedding it to the action. I'm allowing a couple hundred extra for blueprinting/lapping the action. Are these estimates too light?

Thank you for sharing your wisdom with a newb in the custom rifle game.

The 257 Roberts is a classic, capable of excellent accuracy and killing power on deer sized game out to 400 yds. If you go with a long action, you can seat bullets out farther allowing for more powder charges and performance that nips on the heels of the 25-06.
Nosler offers bullet weights from 85 gr up to 120 grs which will cover all your hunting requirements from varmints, predators up to large mule deer and caribou with ease.
The 100gr BT kills coyotes and deer like lighting. The 115 gr PT offers good velocity and deep penetration.
An excellent all around bullet is the 110 gr AB.
My M700 Classic 257 Roberts is based on a long action and shoots 100 gr BT/PT and 115 gr BT/PT bullets with .5 MOA accuracy.
If you go custom, contact Rob Canze at Williams Gun Sight. Rob knows how to build a tack driver!

Here is a coyote I shot this past winter with my 257 Bob using a 100gr BT at 100 yds.
IMG_0374.jpg

The 257 Roberts has plenty of power with excellent accuracy andlight recoil.
Let us know what you decide to do.

JD338

There are many here with more first hand experience than myself with "the Bob". They will most likely tell you that you have a great calibre choice. I know of a couple rifles in this cal. that will meet all of your expectations. You've made a greatstart. The 110 AB offers great balistics, the 75 Gr. Hornady V-max is my smallest group best paper punching bullet and the 100 gr BT is virtually indentical if not quite as consistient. The 100 Gr is my hunting bullet and has accounted for antelope well over 200 yards from my little 250-3000 Savage. Thats a little slower and a little less versitile tha the Bob. Good Luck. Keep us posted CL

The 257 Roberts is a great caliber! The one I have is a rem 700 that was my dad's. It has probably killed more deer than I ever could in a lifetime! I have recently pillar bedded it and it shoots well under moa with the light contour barrel. Here is the load that I use:

85gr Nosler Ballistic Tip
47.7 gr of H414
CCI LR Mag primer

Again with a solid rest it shoots five shot groups inside a nickel @ 100yds. and drops whitetails in their tracks!

It sounds like I'm moving in the right direction. I'm happy to hear of some great accuracy from lighter than average hunting style barrels. Also sounds like there should be no problem using the full range of bullet weights from the factory 1:10 twist rate.

JD338: Are there any issues using the full length action in this scenario? Again, I point out that I am a total novice as to a custom build, so please consider this question from that perspective: Does the "extra" action length cause the rounds to move around in the magazine and possibly cause feeding issues??

rquack

The long action allows you to seat the bullets farther out giving you more case capacity for powder.
I can run my Bob on the heals of the 25-06.

JD338

I'm playing with one now that belongs to my ace compadre.
It's a Rem 722 that has been in his family for a long time and killed many a deer in the hands of his grandfather.

RL17 and 100 gr NBTs are showing very excelllent results.

We get back to the range I'll post up some numbers and we can compare results.

It's a very intresting cartridge. Very mild recoil and a real sweetheart to shoot.

Howard

Thanks again for the quick replys. Sounds like feeding the short cartridge with long set bullets shouldn't be an issue; I'll talk to my smith about that idea. I've also heard good things about Williams down in Davidson. But I was contemplating using Dick Williams in Saginaw for this job; have traded there for decades and 30 years ago he did a 30.06 for my brother that still shoots cloverleafs today; very satisfied with his workmanship. He was also very helpful in resolving some issues getting my early run Model 7 to shoot; he made it a tack driver for me. This new fact also helps a bit as the long action Rem 700's seem to be much more readily available than the short action 700s in donor rifles or as actions only.

"The factory barrel on my Model 7 7mm-08 has given 3/4" groups with my handloads using 120gr BT's, I'd be looking for same or better performance from a barrel by a custom manufacturer."

With results like that, you really don't need a new rifle. :wink: However, being a rifle loony of the first water I can understand wanting another new rifle to play with. To be honest, me too. 8)

I have two rifles in .257 Robt. One, a Ruger #1B is a bit on the heavy side but will put 5 shots under a dime at 100 yards if I do my part. The other is a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight that is a bit more fussy about ammo. I haven't done much with is but with a stiffly loaded 100 gr. Sierra Pro-Hunter or Game King, groups run right at the one inch mark. On th eother hand, my preferred place to hunt is the Kaibab Nationaal Forest in Northern Arizona where the deer run from big to huge. The state of Arizona has requested that hunters in the Kiabab and Arizona Strip hunt only with the barnes type bullets due to the fact that the area is part of the California Condor flyway. I've been up there off and on for over 30 years and I haven't seen one of those over sized buzzards yet.My M70 will do about 1.25" at best with the Barnes TSX. While that is more than adequate even for long shots at antelope, I will be playing with the load some via seating depth to see if I can improve the groups.
Speaking of antelope, I guess it's all in where you go to hunt. I did mine in New Mexico primarily because in 32 years of trying to draw for one of those speed goats here in Arizona has been zilch X 30. My hunt was a landowner ranch hunt that took place in August BEFORE the rut. Now I've always heard that hunting them was a long range propostion because they were bunched up with hundreds of eyes looking in every direction. We spotted my animal at roughly half a mile away. An easy stalk got me to about 75 yards from the animal and it was a simple shot from a sitting position. Turned out I didn't need all that ultra long range practice with my .270. I ddi a 2x1 hunt and my hunting partner was a pleasure to get along with and the guide was excellent. I saw lots of game and was happy enough with the outfitter that I booked for a cow elk hunt last year. The goat hunt was in 2009. BTW, I got my elk. :grin:
My wife and I are planning to do a goat hunt with this outfitter this year if the money comes available. I'll probably take my .270 again with my 7x57 as back up and my wife will have the .257 as her rifle for the hunt. She gets to shoot first and I'll do the back up. There's an awful lot of antelope on those ranches and you haave plenty to choose from in that 3 day hunt. My goat, FWIW just missed the book by .75". Probably be by a bit more now that the horns have dried. Frankly, I don't care.
I'm not too sure which bullet we'll use in the .257 yet but I'm thinking the Sierra game King first, Pro-hunter second and possibly a Hornady as third choice. depends on which shoot the best. I don't see the need for a premium bullet on "goats" as they're pretty fragile and don't wear Kevlar.
I haven't treied 120 gr. bullets in the Ruger but my M70 does not like them at all.
Anyway, i hope all my rambling was of some help.
Paul B.

Tang safety Ruger Mod 77 Ultra Light with IMR-4064 and a 100gr NBT. Used it for years while helping with youth hunts and Women in the Outdoors, it was my loaner rifle. It has killed quite a few whitetails. Great caliber. Another 25 cal which I have used for years is the 25Souper, 25/308. It has killed more than a few whitetails.Rick.

rick smith":dyw01yn1 said:
Tang safety Ruger Mod 77 Ultra Light with IMR-4064 and a 100gr NBT. Used it for years while helping with youth hunts and Women in the Outdoors, it was my loaner rifle. It has killed quite a few whitetails. Great caliber. Another 25 cal which I have used for years is the 25Souper, 25/308. It has killed more than a few whitetails.Rick.

Rick,
This is a 308 case necked down to 25 caliber I presume?
Sounds very intresting as I have a severe case of RADD and about 1000 once fired 308 cases in my reloading bench.

Can you tell me more about this cartridge please?
Thanks,
Howard

You can neck down a 308 case, may have to turn the necks, but I neck up 243 cases. I will have to check my data but remember RL-15 giving the best velocity. Just returned from the shop with the numbers. Rem 700 short action with a 20" barrel. RL-15 40.5grs for a velocity of 2914 and a SD of 5.5. Need to run that load with a change of seating depth and try to tighten the group below 1". 43.0grs IMR-4350, compressed load, for 2730fps, clover leaf group, less than 1/2". I am shooting a 120gr Sierra HPBT Gameking. I shot that rifle a lot when using climbing tree stands.Rick.

That 25-308 does sounds like a cool cartridge. Would be a neat 25, but I imagine with the 257 Roberts it is fairly redundant. It would surely round out all of the 308 based cartridges though. Talk about a great rifle for youths and adults alike. Scotty

Scotty,

There are a lot of redundant cartridges; that doesn't stop gun cranks from trying them out. I'm not certain what the 300 WSM brings to the show that the 300 WM didn't already have. The 338 Federal adds nothing to what the 358 Win didn't already have. It is the fun of a new challenge and simply working with something new.

I have a friend that has two 257 Roberts and he takes them elk hunting using the 117 grain game kings. 3 years ago he shot a cow elk 412 yards and it took 5 steps and didn't get back up. They are a great caliber and sometimes underestimated. I say go for it!

DrMike":276oogaa said:
Scotty,

There are a lot of redundant cartridges; that doesn't stop gun cranks from trying them out. I'm not certain what the 300 WSM brings to the show that the 300 WM didn't already have. The 338 Federal adds nothing to what the 358 Win didn't already have. It is the fun of a new challenge and simply working with something new.

Good point Mike. My safe is full of redundancy and I can't see it changing too much. I could pare everything down to a 338 or 300WM if I had to, but since I don't have toooo!!! HA. Scotty

Back