Your favorite Cartridge?

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
What cartridge do you like working with (loading for)? Does not matter if it was designed for mice or moose.
Remember we are cartridge not rifle.

That's a really tough question. "Working With" meaning experimenting looking for yet another ultra-accurate load, 30-06AI, meaning just plain old fun to shoot 221 Fireball.

No surprise here, its the 338 RUM. This cartridge has excellent accuracy and the knock down power is almost unbelivable.
Shooting game with the 338 RUM is a sight to behold! :grin:

JD338

300 win mag has to be my favorite.
Loaded with 110 gr spire points all the way up to 200 gr Ab's.
The 110 grain bullets are FAST and fun to shoot.

It's gotta be the 22-250. easy to reload. I can get the bulk pack of 55 Grain BT's at a good price and you can shoot all day with no fatigue.

keep shooting
Aaron

On the mouse end of the spectrum, nothing is more accurate or pleasing to shoot than my .221FB rifle.

For most other game, I really love shooting & hunting with my 7STW.

I had both of these guns built long before either cartridge was popular. Shot them so much they have both been set-back and rechambered.

This is the funny thing about this question. I really thought about this and I came to the following conclusion.

I love shooting the 22 hornet but I despise working with it (loading for it) Darn necks are too fragile and loading them small bullets....YUK!
Same thing for the 17 Remington, Man I hate loading for that.

I do not "mind" loading the 300 RUM ---ho hum- but I adore loading the 416 WBY....even though she eats 120+ grains of powder.
I guess I like the artillary "look" of the 416 BEE. :lol:

I guess for the mouse side and just plain fun to shoot my vote would have to go for Mr. Mike Walker's best, the 222 Remington. It is a sweet heart to load and shoot.

I like loading for all my guns but I would have to say I like the 300 rum best. Cause I know those bullets are speedy.

Pop:
It's got to be the 300Wby. It's like doing something for your mom. Every time makes you feel like a hero. I think I could load river rock bullets and still get sub-moa groups. I've got dozens of calibers that I'm proud of for specific animals but I can throw a load together for the Wby. out of any manual for any animal (mice to moose) and know it'll get-er-done with no
worries. I can't ask for more!
Good Hunting
Elkhunt :grin:

Without question, my favorite calibre is the .280 Remington. Then, again, every now and ten I find myself drifting back to the .356 Winchester. Both are fun calibres for me.

I'm only loading for four cartridges at the moment (need more guns!! :lol: )

My favorite so far is the .280rem. I love working up loads and playing with this round.

My favorite cartridge to reload is the .45 Colt for my Ruger single actions... From mild to WILD, and yes, carbide dies are sooooo nice!

Jim

Back