Zastava M-70 Scope Alignment

Ronald Lake

Beginner
Jun 13, 2011
Folks I have a question, I believe I already know the answer. But would appreciate some input, due to my eye sight getting weak (age) I mounted a Leo VX-2 1-4x20 on one of my timber rifles. When I went to sight it in, the alignment holes for mounts are out of whack & although I managed to get a good zero, its 2 clicks from max on windage. The rifle is a Zastava M-70 chambered in 375H&H, my question is with the heavy recoil of the 300gr AB pills, will it or could it cause damage to the scope ? Or should I just bite the pill & take it to smith ?

Thanks in advance.
R. Lake

being close to the end of adjustment , windage and elevation , is supposed to be hard on the scope . with the windage about maxed out , this also shortens the amount of elevation you have. another thing is the optic clarity is diminished by looking through the edge of the lens , instead of the center .

if I were you , I'd try a set of the Burris signature rings . these use the plastic bushings . you could get the scope centered up by using the offset bushings . then final sight in with a few clicks on the scope turrets . I had to use these on a rifle , for the same reason , and they work great . here's a link , if you're not familiar with these rings .

That’s good advice. If you can’t find the Burris posi-align rings, another option is the Redfield style mount that is adjustable for windage.

What type of mounts are you using? Rings can be turned around moving the attachment screw to the other side. This will allow you more windage in the opposite direction as it pulls against the base. Have done this a few times. Dan.

Jim gave good advice. The other base you could use is the type where the front base is slotted for the ring to turn in, and the rear has 2 screws, one on each side to center or adjust the windage just for situations like your predicament.

I have that type mount on an 03 Springfield. It came that way, but it's a common mount on older rifles that were not drilled from factory as they were not always D&T spot on precise.

Here's an example on Midway for a M700. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1362109809?pid=227012

Folks, I appreciate the input & ideas all are great options. Spoke with my smith today, when he is finished shorting the barrel on my Model 70 EW 338wm, I'm going to drop off the Zastava & have him re-drill the holes to get perfect alignment. I have a set of Leopold quick detach rings I have decided to utilize. Once again thanks to all..

Cheers & Happy 2022
R.Lake

Folks, I appreciate the input & ideas all are great options. Spoke with my smith today, when he is finished shorting the barrel on my Model 70 EW 338wm, I'm going to drop off the Zastava & have him re-drill the holes to get perfect alignment. I have a set of Leopold quick detach rings I have decided to utilize. Once again thanks to all..

Cheers & Happy 2022
R.Lake

that will be the best fix , for sure .

Back