Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:01 pm

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why one needs a robust scope.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:43 am 

A very old man once told me no matter how much you spent on your rifle it is is worth nothing with out great optics.

He was right

high-speed video of scope and barrel flexing on a 50BMG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5pVya7eask

I am making this one a sticky!

Weatherby...There is no replacement for displacement!

My blog. Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Why one needs a robust scope.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:18 am 

That is a pretty informative video, Fotis. The mounting system and the quality of the scope are vital whatever firing system is in question.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:30 am 

WOW! Incredible!

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:26 am 

True Doc.

Granted this is a 50 cal but think of a much lighter scope on a Lapua or something.

Never go cheap on scopes!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:03 am 

You also need a robust mounting system when shooting big boomer. I found out just last night while removing the MK4 from my 338 Lapua so that I can mount the Nightforce. As I'm unscrewing the screws from a Seekins ring, It felt like a few were really loose. I thought that the screw were just came undone due to recoil but it turns out that the screws are breaking apart. The screws are probably sub quality and can't handle the violent recoil of my 338. This rifle is really hard on optics. It reaped apart two IOR's when I first got it. Only the MK4 can withstand it's recoil. I hope the Nightforce will do as well.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:08 am 

That is some serious recoil!

Actually, there are only two classes of people posting here: Model 70 owners and those who wish they had one. PATENT PENDING

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:20 am 

Rommel,

All I need to say is, "Wow!" That is serious recoil.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:48 am 

This screws are 8-32 and larger than your typical ring screws.

The weird thing is the screws that broke were on the same position on the forward and on the rear ring. That must be the area where the higher concentration of force is exerted. I have to find a better quality screws. Just like everything else, most of this screw came from either Taiwan or China.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:55 pm 

Wow

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:19 pm 

If you look really close it looks like the mount is doing most if not all of the flexing. That rail system isn't nearly strong enough for that recoil. It wiggles like a wet noodle under recoil and that is why the scope looks like it's doing the same.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:13 pm 

Wow, pretty intersting video.
Its no wonder why lesser scopes fail.

JD338

Noslers Rock

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:51 pm 

Yikes Rommel.
Russ

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:33 pm 

With that kind of a vibration node through that mount, rings and scope, the screws probably sheared because of relative motion shear forces between scope tube and mount. May be more likely in this case than a tensile failure, especially with 32 TPI threading. Screw looks more like a shear failure to me at least. Certainly impressive vibrations!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:17 am 

Safari Magazine, from Safari Club International, did quite a torture test of scopes and mounts a few years ago - testing a variety of scopes on a .460 Weatherby Mk V. The scopes held up well, but the Picatinny rail mount eventually failed under that severe recoil.

Several years ago I had the privilege of doing a six-month test of a U.S. Optics scope - input from a rural area SWAT sniper was desired. That was one heck of a scope, but my department couldn't afford it, neither could I, so it went back after the test. Sadly.

The scope was quite large and heavy compared to the hunting scopes I typically prefer, but had crystal clear optics and was very strong. It was mounted to my rifle on a steel Badger rail base with steel Badger rings. Tough stuff.

On the way out from an operation up in the Cascades, a rock turned underfoot and I took a hard fall. The rifle went flying from my hands and crashed onto the rocks after about a 6' fall. No apparent damage externally.

The next morning I headed to the range bright and early - and was impressed to find that the zero had not shifted at all.

I've seen a 6.5-20x Leupold lose it's zero (badly) by having the rifle simply kicked over while sitting on the firing line on a short bipod. This big U.S. Optics scope never even budged. Very impressive. Yet another reason to go with a robust scope & mounting system.

I believe the heavier scopes put more of a strain on their mounts during recoil than do the lighter scopes.

Also, fixed power scopes simply have fewer internal parts, less to go wrong.

Things worth considering when scope & mount shopping.

Regards, Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:24 am 

Guy Miner wrote:
I believe the heavier scopes put more of a strain on their mounts during recoil than do the lighter scopes.

Also, fixed power scopes simply have fewer internal parts, less to go wrong.

Things worth considering when scope & mount shopping.

Regards, Guy

Excellent point Guy.

I too believe that heavy scopes place large strain on mounting equipment. I remember a SS 10x42 mounted on a .300 RUM (with brake) that sheared off several screws in both Leupold PRW 30mm rings.... and the rear 2-Piece Leupold base. It was also very difficult to keep that rifle zeroed, not due to the scope (because it perforemed perfectly before and after riding this rifle).... but due to the strain on the mounts/hardware.

Once I went to a VariX-3 Tac. 4.5-14x40 in Talley's..... it never moved (and the rifle lost over a pound).

Another thing to consider on a hard recoiling rifle with big Tacticool glass..... is the fact that you're often shooting large Obj. lenses too (50mm+). This calls for high rings, which creates added leverage (longer lever) against the mounts for the heavy scope to beat on them with. If you do go big glass (which is sometimes necessary) don't skimp on the mounts and don't trust the factory hardware.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:08 am 

Folks tend to think it's all about the glass, but over time, I've come to realize that what you pay for in the premier scopes is mechanical quality. Nightforce, US Optics, etc get their premium because they are so damned tough, repeatable and robust.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:27 am 

The glass quality and polishing for basics, plus the science of coatings and the optical phase matching of the refractory indices of the lenses is important for sure to give you the basic optical performance that you are paying for.

AzDak42, you are abslolutely right on mechanics. Getting the internals designed and built tough is very important as well as assuring with double springs or whatever that the eyebox maintains zero, despite shocks, knocks, dings and temperature changes. That scope has to survive horseback and whatever comes its way and still deliver optical performance.

Last edited by Oldtrader3 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:01 am 

Desert Fox wrote:
You also need a robust mounting system when shooting big boomer. I found out just last night while removing the MK4 from my 338 Lapua so that I can mount the Nightforce. As I'm unscrewing the screws from a Seekins ring, It felt like a few were really loose. I thought that the screw were just came undone due to recoil but it turns out that the screws are breaking apart. The screws are probably sub quality and can't handle the violent recoil of my 338. This rifle is really hard on optics. It reaped apart two IOR's when I first got it. Only the MK4 can withstand it's recoil. I hope the Nightforce will do as well.

DF, I had the same thing happen with my 338 lapua until I switched over to the burris tactical rings. I have not looked back since.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:18 am 

I think for any scope that is going to be used and mounted on a .300 Mag or larger, should have premium rings which are built to mil-std specifications. I use TPS rings and they are very strongly built. Besides which the better rings are closer tolerance on bore alignment and hold the scope in line and precisely. Saving $50 on rings and ruining a $400+ scope from recoil misalignment doesn't make sense.

Last edited by Oldtrader3 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:04 am 

That is not a bad idea Charlie. But I have to say some mags (ahem 378 BEE) need them more than others.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:18 am 

The standard Swiss automatic made screws which are soft steel do break sometmes. I try to limit my torque to the recommended 25 inch pounds, however even then, these cheap rings screws break in use after awhile.

You have to realize that a big scope like the 6.5 -20x50 scope will hve a moment load on the base and ring screws during firing of over 200 pounds. Continual loads ot this moment magnitude will stress and break the 6-48 base screws eventually.

Last edited by Oldtrader3 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:51 pm 

Guy Miner wrote:
I've seen a 6.5-20x Leupold lose it's zero (badly) by having the rifle simply kicked over while sitting on the firing line on a short bipod. This big U.S. Optics scope never even budged. Very impressive. Yet another reason to go with a robust scope & mounting system.

Guy,
I saw this same thing once with a Leupold VX-II 4-12 AO during a pdog hunt. While laying prone, I swiveled my shoulders to point my binocs toward another area, and accidentally bumped the 223 rifle, which was sitting on the ground on a short Harris bi-pod. It fell over - an easy tipover in soft dirt. This caused the zero to shift horizontally some 3-4" at 100 yards.

I first thought it was the scope, now I suspect the Burris dovetail mounts. The dovetail could have allowed the ring to shift sideways - methinks...

I will be installing a set of steel Warne rings and mounts before long. BT

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:28 pm 

The flex was incredible, its amazing that it returns back to zero !!!!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:32 pm 

"Desert Fox" You also need a robust mounting system when shooting big boomer. I found out just last night while removing the MK4 from my 338 Lapua so that I can mount the Nightforce. As I'm unscrewing the screws from a Seekins ring, It felt like a few were really loose. I thought that the screw were just came undone due to recoil but it turns out that the screws are breaking apart. The screws are probably sub quality and can't handle the violent recoil of my 338. This rifle is really hard on optics. It reaped apart two IOR's when I first got it. Only the MK4 can withstand it's recoil. I hope the Nightforce will do as well."Desert Fox"

Wow talk about abuse, I've seen this can happen but since you brought it up I've always thought IOR Valdada scopes were robust? I was looking at their new 3.5-18x50 FFP scope for a 338LM, but didn't like that screw/cap below the Objective adjustment on the left side of the turret. I thought it might hinder mounting it and/or cause an issue with some of the different one piece base and ring mounts?

Anyway I went a different route and just bought a Premier 3-15x50 that will be mounted in a Sako three ring base. I haven't gotten it yet, but I'll be comparing it to my Kahles K312 II. I would suspect that it hold up to the abuse of the Lapua Magnum, but only time will tell?

“It is not by muscle, speed, or physical dexterity that great things are achieved, but by reflection, force of character, and judgment.”

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:01 pm 

I have sheared off ring screws in Leupold rings. That is why I have mounted all of my standard ring and mount rifles with either low or medium Tactical Precision Systems (TPS) rings mounted on Warne steel bases both Picatinny and Weaver type steel bases. The TPS rings have tempered steel ring screws that will not break ever at 25 inch pounds of torque to the ring screws.

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Moderators: NoslerV, Nosler4, JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS Go to page 1, 2  Next