What is this?

NYDAN

Handloader
Sep 17, 2013
I was cleaning the "junk drawer" that I inherited from my grandparents and found this. It appears to be a cast aluminum comb with an anchor stamped in it. It is 4" long.

My uncle was in the navy in WWII. Could it be a navy issue comb? If not, any other suggestions?

DSCN1069.JPG

DSCN1070.JPG

Sure enough. It is a horse mane comb. Thanks JJS.

Makes sense that they saved this. Grandpa and Grandpa loved their work horses. Grandma used to tell the story of when they were young and newly married. Grandpa was cutting trees on the hillside about 500 yards east of the house. Grandpa would hitch up a log (or logs) to the horse(s) and give it a pat on the backside and the horse would drag the log up to the house/barn area. Grandma would unhook the log and send the horse back down to Grandpa. Huh, I wonder how many times I heard that story...

I actually remember seeing a neighbor's horse pulling a mowing machine here. Gosh, I am getting old...

Coast Guard shore patrol, WWII, but I'd bet that the Navy had some horses too.

1afXQUlh.jpg

Guy, any idea who that Sailor is? A fella I worked with has retired, but his Dad was on horseback during WWII on the coast.

Late to the party, but mane and tail comb is it

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Dan,

Yes, a horse mane and tail comb. We had a few of them, both metal and plastic, when my girls had horses.

Guy,

That's a very cool picture!

JD338

Back