how we progress

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
after reading a few of the threads this morning I had a thought . I've just about turned my reloading into a science project . I can tell a lot of other guys have too . does anyone just reload the simple way ? by this I mean , keep brass somewhere between min and max they don't have to be all the same , dump the powder and weigh the charge every 5 or so loads to be sure the powder throw is on track , seat the bullets and measure off the tip just check a random one every here or there . clean primer pockets , are you nuts , I can still get a primer in there . I think back of how simple my process was , I can't believe all my ammo went boom .

That's almost how I use to do it except I weighed every charge on my beam scale. My pistol ammo still gets loaded that way since I use a Dillon progressive press and weigh every 5 or so powder charges to check but rarely do that with them any more just the first five when starting a batch.
With the rifle I can't figure out how I got my loads to shoot better then factory stuff the way I use to do it and lord only knows why they did.
I almost feel like I'm back in the first grade when some of these guys starts talking and glad I was good in math class way back in the day because they have taken me to a greater understanding of how it should be done.
It is still relaxing and I still load one at a time from start to finish except priming and those get seated in all the cases I plan on loading first for that particular setting.
Some times I have to back off and go the simple to me route since I get over whelmed with what is said.
Yeah I used to think I was an expert reloader till I found out I was a reloading dummy. :shock: :? :roll: :lol: :grin:

Whats a "node"... :) . Pick a load from the manual a little below max. Set OAL length to .005 less than my max for a particular bullet, prep brass (I spend some time w/ that). Weigh every charge and measure for consistient OAL. Add powder primer and pull the trigger.... BANG!

cloverleaf thanks for the reply , I knew there would be some guys that are keeping it simple , and there is nothing wrong with that . I'll bet I could have put 20 rounds of ammo together years ago in the same amount of time it takes me to get set up to start loading now . the funny thing is , I took a lot of game with my simple reloaded ammo .

my progressive press makes me skip a lot of steps too .

Funny how I have tried to adhere to the KISS method when doing different things in life and it has always worked for me but with reloading there is so much more to it then just KISS.
Yes I can make acceptable ammo using KISS but I always seem to want more out of my hunting ammo so when I get a difficult shot I know the rifle and ammo is capable and helps build confidence to complete the task at hand which is harvesting a trophy or fresh meat to eat.
When I first started reloading it was to save money and be able to shoot more once the initial expense was over come it has grown almost out of control trying to keep up with the latest and greatest gadgets.
Now I'm wondering if I need to rethink the way I prep my cases and get a universal decapping die and a sizing die that uses a carbide mandrel instead of a expander ball.
The decapping die is something I have wanted for some time but I'm a little confused on which sizing die to get with that uses a mandrel for sizing the neck. I suspect a Lee collet die will be needed.
If I keep on I'll have to set one of the Dillons for loading since I have so many different steps to go threw just to load one shell.
Though I'm not having any problems using a sizing die with a expander ball to make good ammo if a sizing die that uses a mandrel will make better ammo I'm all for it if it will make a difference.
Just need to know which die to get that's the best bang for the buck.

That's more or less how I load, except I still use the old Lee scoopers and weigh every charge on a beam scale.

Rodger , I use the redding bushing dies on a few different cartridges . I started off just using the correct size bushing , but I thought I could tell a difference in seating force from round to round . espicially if the brass sat a day or two before seating a bullet . so I bought the sinclair die and mandrels for these . now I size with a bushing that is .001 smaller than I thought I needed , then expand back up with the sinclair die .

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-e ... 33134.aspx

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloading-e ... 38807.aspx

Thanks for the links JimB but I don't think I will be going that route since It talks about neck turning and I don't see that in my future, may be the Lee collet die.

I have started using the Redding bushing dies as well. Love em.

No need to turn necks so far. They are pretty danged slick as well.

I have expander mandrels as well. Those are worth the money to me.

All pistol ammo and blasting AR stuff gets the basics. I might start with load dev, then switch over to mass production. In the beginning, I didn't have a charge master, which replaced powder throws, almost as quick.

Pistol stuff just gets stuffed in the case. I'm not a good enough of a pistol shot to make it matter.

The rifles I started with have been enhanced to make them more accurate as well, why not shoot accurate ammo?

Really any new rifle gets the old technique until the barrel is broken in anyway. And when I was in my teens,I didn't have the cash to get the different components I've stock piled now.

I don't really miss the old days, I like the comparators, digital scales, electric powder dispensers. It's great.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

thanks for the replies fellas . I thought there would be some guys that are not hunting with ammo that has been cared for like it's going to set a world record . I'm trying to remember , but I think I was getting around 1 - 1.5 inch groups at 100 yards before I started all the extra stuff . this was way more than I needed for hunting . just about all my shots were inside of 50 or 60 yards , well inside of 100 yards . I've got to admit , I would really have a hard time loading rifle ammo without doing all the steps that I normally do .

truck driver":38uq7y7r said:
Thanks for the links JimB but I don't think I will be going that route since It talks about neck turning and I don't see that in my future, may be the Lee collet die.

Rodger , the Lee collet dies work well .

the reason they recommend neck turning when using bushing dies is most guys don't use any expander , there is an expander ball provided with the die . lets say you don't turn the necks . so now you have a neck that's out and you sized it with a bushing and no expander . the bushing makes the outer diameter perfectly true , this pushes all the imperfection to the inside . so now the ID is out of round . if you seat a bullet the imperfection will scuff it up . if you would use either the expander ball , or the expander mandrel this pushes the imperfection back to the outside . I think the mandrel being pushed in can sizes the neck with less runout , than the expander ball can by being pulled up through .

My rifle loading technique has advanced a lot in the last couple years, and a lot of that has been learning to use new tools. Revolver ammo? Pretty much make sure case length is in spec and weigh about every 8-10 powder throws. Crimp it and go! I do load my 44 magnum hunting ammo much more deliberate, but 38 special just load and go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talk about simple.
I use to be able to buy loaded ammo for less than just the new brass. I would pull the bullet and just stick in a Nosler PAR of the same weight and go hunting. Killed my deer each year.

Now I prep the brass in many ways, weigh and sort the brass, hand prime, weight each charge, seat bullet according to each rifle. Guess what?? I get the same results except I now hunt more than just deer.

But I do enjoy the process of making the rounds so I do not complain.

Back