Frozen RCBS Pro Manual Case Trimmer

nosler06

Handloader
Nov 13, 2012
I am hoping someone might have some ideas for me. I own a one year old RCBS Pro Manual Case Trimmer and have used it several times. Works great, but about six months ago when I last used it I clean it all well and then lightly coated the shaft with gun oil. I pulled it out today to trim my .308 brass to start my reload and the shaft is frozen and will not budge. Has anyone ever had this happen or does anyone know how and what I can do to get it free. Am I wasting my time and should I just order replacement parts? Help please? :(

Return it to RCBS, Kroil on the shaft and stand it up right so the oil can penetrate down the shaft or Kroil on the shaft and a light tap with a hammer. I have been using the bench model for years without a hitch. Perhaps some cuttings are between the shaft and body.Rick.

rick smith":1xib6cg1 said:
Return it to RCBS, Kroil on the shaft and stand it up right so the oil can penetrate down the shaft or Kroil on the shaft and a light tap with a hammer. I have been using the bench model for years without a hitch. Perhaps some cuttings are between the shaft and body.Rick.

I have done this and it has let go. Does not appear to be any damage, but will get a magnifying glass and check closer. It will have to do to get my cases ready to load. Will have to order a new shaft and block just to be on safe side. Do you think that gun oil is not the best thing to lube with for storage? What do you use to lube yours with? :grin:

Mine did this once...I just removed the shaft, polished it with a ScotchBrite pad, put it back together, and kept on trucking....that was about 2 years ago.

It was just a burr, either from brass shavings or left over from manufacturing....either way, your trimmer should be fine

Ridgerunner665":3qt62wr4 said:
Oh...and CLP on the shaft keeps it running smooth.

What is CLP? I am not familiar with it. I may not have that in Canada. I was just using a high grade gun oil.

nosler06":29fi7v9b said:
Ridgerunner665":29fi7v9b said:

What is CLP? I am not familiar with it. I may not have that in Canada. I was just using a high grade gun oil.

Sold under the name of FrogLube and Break-Free. You should be able to get it from Wholesale Sports in Kamloops or Cabela's in Winnipeg.

DrMike":1r2y1vyx said:
nosler06":1r2y1vyx said:
Ridgerunner665":1r2y1vyx said:

Sold under the name of FrogLube and Break-Free. You should be able to get it from Wholesale Sports in Kamloops or Cabela's in Winnipeg.

Thanks Dr Mike. What could I use in the mean time until it is shipped? I can't wait to trim the cases as my deer season is winding down.

As someone said, you must have had a burr or piece of brass trimming binding things up. You should not have to make a big deal out of lubing or preserving the shaft and block. Your gun oil should have been fine. I didn't do anything to mine for about 5 years and it was OK.
EE2

Back